BKK Deputy Governor encourages citizens to play a more active role against corruption

webfact

BKK Deputy Governor encourages citizens to play a more active role against corruption

PNPOL600501001000101.jpg

BANGKOK, 1 May 2017 (NNT) – Bangkok’s deputy governor has reminded the capital’s citizens that they can play a part in preventing corruption and graft. 

Deputy Bangkok Governor Chakkaphan Piew-ngam, in a speech on Bangkok’s administration and public participation organized by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), has informed community leaders from all 50 districts of the capital that they can play an active role in combating corruption. 

Chakkaphan remarked that Bangkok administrators wish to see citizens take up a role in fighting graft and will work to develop a sense of ethics and duty in the public.

He pointed out that as the nation is currently in a state of development, involving numerous public projects aimed at benefiting the country’s citizens, the government has clearly outlined a path for the public to inspect and report irregularities in purchasing and investment and wants to see the public be more active in pointing out such instances. The deputy governor stated that any suspicions or information about corruption can be reported to the NACC hotline 1205.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-01

if the people were not offered the opportunity of corruption by those in power and/or authority and those in power to suppress corruption did their job then there would considerably less corruption.

i respectfully suggest that Chakkaphan Piew-ngam begins his anti-corruption crusade at the top, not the bottom.

Is he familiar with the proverb that says that the fish stinks for it's head?

and that the biggest and the most corrupt people are the very one that

runs the country, be it police, army government and everyone else in

between?....

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He pointed out that as the nation is currently in a state of development, involving numerous public projects aimed at benefiting the country’s citizens,

Yes here comes the tanks subs planes and bullets. At present a navy hot shot has been on television for over an hour trying to convince the people of the need for submarines. With this in mind somebody must be turning up the heat on the sub project. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The deputy governor stated that any suspicions or information about corruption can be reported to the NACC hotline 1205.

the public, however, seems to prefer to post these instances on social media..., now, why is that, do you think, Mr. Dep Gov? 

29 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Can one make a citizens arrest on a government official in Thailand???

Wouldn't suggest trying! And of course whistleblowing, whilst very public spirited is likely to attract a defamation law suit, criminal and civil, which will be much more thoroughly and expediently pushed through the system than the actual corruption investigation!

Citizens can't achieve much without a robust system that supports rather than inhibits. And most citizens know it.

Ring the hotline and grass-up the the big boys at the top, but, whatever you do, don't post a video online!  You'll need a cheap throw-away phone as well.

Have I been watching too many movies, or just used to this crap?

He has good intentions and I wish him luck.

But! I'm not so sure he majority of Thais will act upon his request?

This is the land of, 'I only think about money!, not smiles...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

To get citizens to help you need a whistleblower law here as they have in the USA

It not only protects the person who comes forward but also rewards them if there is wrongdoing on the part of others he is reporting

Just to expect people to come forward with corruption details is not going to work . Why would someone want to risk it

8 hours ago, samsensam said:

if the people were not offered the opportunity of corruption by those in power and/or authority and those in power to suppress corruption did their job then there would considerably less corruption.

i respectfully suggest that Chakkaphan Piew-ngam begins his anti-corruption crusade at the top, not the bottom.

He's not the only one to delegate downwards on this - it;'s a brilliant move to ensure nothing real gets done. Instead of reforming the courts, the investigative powers of responsible authorities, making some high profile arrests and overseeing diligent prosecutions, where a few life/long sentences for outrageous corruption are handed out, they tell the public it's 'up to them.'

Edited by sharecropper

1 hour ago, pentap said:

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

If he has real intention, he should first repel the computer crime law, petition his boss to stop extrajudiciary AA arrest and detention, drop the law against more than 5 person assembly and no more military court hearing. Anything less mean he has no good and real intention. 

One month too late for this story. It's May the 1st not April the 1st. 

1 hour ago, pentap said:

Please don't tell me you believe this rubbish.

Edited by dinsdale

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Wouldn't suggest trying! And of course whistleblowing, whilst very public spirited is likely to attract a defamation law suit, criminal and civil, which will be much more thoroughly and expediently pushed through the system than the actual corruption investigation!

Citizens can't achieve much without a robust system that supports rather than inhibits. And most citizens know it.

I like that word inhibits. Methinks its time to buy some rust inhibitor politician grade. 

7 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Over the years I have had my anti politician shots and gained an immunity so I do not believe it. That being said politicians today have a bit of the fisherman in them. They cast their nets hoping for the best. Do they have sucker fish in Thailand?. The governors here in Thailand are seen and not heard to often. Like the cuckoo on the clock they pop out from time to time to utter the words cuckoo cuckoo 

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

good chance its just another click bait troll, like jonbkk, dj jamie and a cast of thousands that appear out of nowhere who post inflammatory posts to draw many of the types of replies you made.

It is the people in power that could change the corruption in Thailand, but they made their money from

the corrupt system, so why would they want a change.  I read of a whistle blower story in Northern

Thailand, and there are no charges happening, so I think corruption will continue in Thailand

for the foreseeable future, unfortunately.

Geezer

They must be confident they have now got all the mechanisms in place to ensure untouchability.

This is mainly PR, but even the elites have to keep their own house in order, and this is also a message to any of their own that if they are caught with their hand too blatantly in the till they will be made an example of and pummeled with cushions.

9 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Can one make a citizens arrest on a government official in Thailand???

Now that is a full time job 24hrs aday for 10 years are you free as I feel you could do what 210.000 cannot

We are all behind you on this

9 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Now that is a full time job 24hrs aday for 10 years are you free as I feel you could do what 210.000 cannot

We are all behind you on this

I know you are but quit shoving me. Must form a committee on this. 

Admirable sentiments.

But it starts at the top! Deputy Governor Chakkaphan Piew-ngam could take the first steps by making sure ALL financial transactions are transparent (to the public) and that responsible people are held fully accountable - not moved sideways or to an "inactive post" but fired from their position.

Then ask for the citizens to help. Not the other way around! And DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSENGER if you want co-operation.