Arthritic Knees-"Synvisc-One"

dddave

Has anybody on this forum with Arthritic knees tried the "Synvisc-One" or similar injection's of cushioning fluid directly into the knee?  I'm not referring to Cortisone or any other steroid.

Reports I read online claim 3 to 6 months significant relief of knee pain per treatment.

Has anybody had this done in Thailand and if so, where, the cost and how effective was it? 

i had synvisc shots in the states.

just remember they are a band-aid, does not repair any thing only a cushion.

eventually had both knees replaced.

shots do not work for every one and only last months.

22 minutes ago, rodknock said:

i had synvisc shots in the states.

just remember they are a band-aid, does not repair any thing only a cushion.

eventually had both knees replaced.

shots do not work for every one and only last months.

Thanks for responding.  How much of an improvement did you experience with the shots?  

I realize it is only a temporary treatment but at this time, knee replacement is not a option for me. 

I know several TV members who have had this done with good results. Dr. Panya at Bumrungrad does it.

It is indeed only a symptomatic help -- doesn ot replace cartilege - but effects can last around 6 months and done by a competent ortho surgeon risks are very minimal (unlike cortisone injections which actually weaken the joint over time).

Can buy time before surgery is needed and in some cases avert it, but will depend on the degree of the arthritis.

I had this done in Australia and at the place recommended in Thailand.
It did seem to work for me.
I think it's one of those things you have to 'suck it and see'.
Even if there is no physical effect, the placebo effect is still there.
So, it seemed to work for me, but I don't know if it was the contents of the injection, or my head thinking it worked.
There is a newer process around with stem cell replacement helping to fix knees.
It's a bit expensive and an involved process, but probably better than a knee replacement.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Hi Sheryl, yes quite correct as usual.
But, they seem to be having some good results.
It's difficult to get on a trial (Well impossible with the pain management team I know ), you can't get your medical fund to help, and it's experimental.
Another but; evidently knee surgery CAN have a fairly high mortality rate, if you get an infection. Also after knee surgery you need to go on a course of antibiotics before each dental visit, to stop any infection lodging behind the implant.
So my Dr. said, even though I have knee bone on bone, don't have knee surgery until you can't sleep at night because of the pain. As it's a risky procedure.
This may well be B.S..
There are a few people who have had surgery in tennis club I know and all good and back into tennis.
I just think trying to wait for stem cell treatment could be better than knee replacement, if, you can still get by.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

Would also like to know the cost for these injections in Thailand + where around Bangkok area........... Tried to ask the leg/bone Dr last Thursday but got no answer,  just another 60 tablets of 'Tramadol' and other drugs for pain and knee problems. it is now over 1 year of constant pain 24/7. in the house manage with a zimmer frame, and outside 2 x 4 leg walking sticks, but it is not easy..   The Dr idea is to wait until both knees are as bad as each other then have  both replacement knees done !! 

My Hospital is the 'Red Cross' but does take about 2.5 hours to get there, and the same to return home.. go every 2 months to the Knee Dr, and every 4 months to the Diabetic Dr.. 

I did contact Dr Panya's office last May, asking approximate prices for Synvisc knee injections.  This was the response:

Regarding your inquiry, Dr. Panya Wongpatimachai advised that the estimated cost of "SYNVISC" injections is approximately 33,000 Baht per one knee.

The above estimated costs do not include;

• The estimated doctor’s consultation fee may range from 500 – 2,000 Baht / doctor / OPD visit, although in some cases depending on various factors, the fee might vary from the estimate range.
  • Any expenses not related to the procedure.
  • Costs arising from complications, such as additional medical conditions that may require special treatment during or after the procedure.
  • Any follow up costs.
  • Take-home medication and medical supplies

*P

I got in touch with St Louis Hospital, Sathorn Soi 13, Bangkok..

3 injections into knee    20,250 baht

Doctors Fee                      1,000 baht

Hospital Service charge    160 baht

Total  21,410 baht..

just remember you are throwing good money out that is only a temporary relieve if it works.

the inevitable is you will need knee replacement.

i went that route, arthroscopic cleaning on left knee. did shots on right knee. 6months later did shots again and one more time. had both knees replaced, awesome to be pain free and mobility.

the hardest part of knee replacement is keeping a positive attitude and PHYSICAL THERAPY.

i can not tell you how many people have complained about the surgery but did not due therapy.

i still do therapy in the pool, walk forward and walk backwards 3/4 to 1hour a day.

my knees were done in 2010 and i could not be happier.

Archived