Cost of submarines could rise: Thai Navy

webfact

6 hours ago, petedk said:

I bought 10000 kg of dog food yesterday. It was so cheap I saved a small fortune.

Now I need to buy a dog.

You're going to need more than one dog with all that food. But if you buy two, I'll throw in a third for free! 

'I don’t think any Defence Ministry or the Navy of any country would get a deal like we have,” Patchara added ...'

That tells us all we need to know: an unbeatable deal on Chinese submarines. The Chinese saw the RTN coming, in their tealeaves.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

17 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

You're going to need more than one dog with all that food. But if you buy two, I'll throw in a third for free! 

And the RTN will throw in the tin opener; the later technology will see them offered the electronic version.

Sounds as if they want to buy the add on AIP package, which will considerably improve underwater endurance.

Not surprising as it is increasingly regarded as a "must have" for diesel electrics.

12 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Question for all you "Experts".

How do you flush a toilet on a submarine?

Especially if you are submerged at the time?

I know, but do you?

Hint: that is why toilets on submarines have lock down latches on the toilet seat lids.

Below a few meters submerged the water pressure OUTSIDE the boat is greater than inside the boat (subs are referred to as Boats in the Navy).

Therefore to flush a toilet on a sub you need to use air pressure to force the stuff you want to flush OUT against the outside water pressure.

So the first step in flushing that toilet is to first close the toilet bowl lid and LOCK it down securely.

If you don't and just flush the toilet the higher outside water pressure  will  cause the toilet to flush IN, not out.

That leads to a rather messy situation  as he toilet's contents are sprayed out of the toilet and often on to the flusher.

HaHa, what a load of tosh, having served on 5 boats and currently an instructor of mechanical systems(of which the sanitary system is one) to engineers and technicians on boats, I can assure you, you do not know how a toilet is flushed on a boat. Does the above scenario not sound dangerous to you, as well as the ridiculous idea of pressure testing the pans(has they would have to be). I suggest you ask an "expert" who will tell you the toilets are gravity drained into a tank and the tank is then pumped overboard. pretty simple really.  In your scenario the idea of trying to flush a toilet at a depth of over 300m gives me the chills.

18 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

By the time they are deliverer they will be old hat, then any boats running a con will hear there whereabouts on the latest scanner of the time, all because some say we need a sub to play with as out D>>>> are to small. One thing is for sure the rest of the world will laugh their ba>>s off at people who simple do not have any brains

As you live in good old UK, loathe Thailand and have no intention of returning, why do make constant posts. Jealous? Maybe the Chinese subs are better than the ancient UK subs which were due for replacement 3 years ago. You really need to get a grip on reality about some of your laughable posts.

17 hours ago, starky said:

And here we go..gone from 36 million to 2.1 billion in one press release. Go junta! :post-4641-1156693976: at least they get a bonus air compressor :saai:

HomePro giving them away free with every purchase over 40k thb. Haha. 

On 5/2/2017 at 5:11 AM, baboon said:

Not to worry. The Oversight Committee will - oops, sorry. 

Well I'm sure that at any rate the military will continue to do do the fine job of policing themselves they are already notorious for...

Actually both the US and UK have dismal records in defense procurement. Lots of overspends, poor performance and more than a fair share of corruption cases.

And both those countries have substantial, recently beefed up, anti corruption laws.

But they also consider kick backs illegal.

No need here. All above board. Maybe the US and UK could learn from Thailand!

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Actually both the US and UK have dismal records in defense procurement. Lots of overspends, poor performance and more than a fair share of corruption cases.

And both those countries have substantial, recently beefed up, anti corruption laws.

But they also consider kick backs illegal.

No need here. All above board. Maybe the US and UK could learn from Thailand!

And stage coups at their convenience? And throw people in jail who criticise spending on boondoggles or make jokes about certain dogs? No thanks.

Anyone insinuating Thailand can be compared to the UK in matters of freedom and the legal system is at best misguided.

Just now, baboon said:

And stage coups at their convenience? And throw people in jail who criticise spending on boondoggles or make jokes about certain dogs? No thanks.

Anyone insinuating Thailand can be compared to the UK in matters of freedom and the legal system is at best misguided.

Stopped doing sarcasm, satire and irony have you?

Read the post again, slowly and apply more than literal thinking. If you still have difficulty comprehending let me know and I'll explain for you,

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Stopped doing sarcasm, satire and irony have you?

Read the post again, slowly and apply more than literal thinking. If you still have difficulty comprehending let me know and I'll explain for you,

I do confess to a bugger of a case of jetlag... Perhaps you might need to spell it out for me...?

7 minutes ago, baboon said:

I do confess to a bugger of a case of jetlag... Perhaps you might need to spell it out for me...?

The US and Britain have really tried to clamp down on bribery. Tough new laws introduced at roughly the same time couple of years ago. Not just in public sector but in all commercial transactions.

However, even though kickbacks and anything less than total transparency is jumped on, both have cases in defense procurement, which have very tight rules where people have been caught. Some quite senior people, like the ex head of air force procurement in the US - a case often used by universities as a case study. 

So with their strong anti corruption legislation, strict procurement process rules and culture of bribery is bad, they still get it happening. But usually they get caught and punished.

What chance Thailand got of ever stopping it then? When no one even thinks it's wrong for starters; or allowed to see the process; and rarely is anyone caught anyway.

Been anywhere nice?

Edited by Baerboxer

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

The US and Britain have really tried to clamp down on bribery. Tough new laws introduced at roughly the same time couple of years ago. Not just in public sector but in all commercial transactions.

However, even though kickbacks and anything less than total transparency is jumped on, both have cases in defense procurement, which have very tight rules where people have been caught. Some quite senior people, like the ex head of air force procurement in the US - a case often used by universities as a case study. 

So with their strong anti corruption legislation, strict procurement process rules and culture of bribery is bad, they still get it happening. But usually they get caught and punished.

What chance Thailand got of ever stopping it then? When no one even thinks it's wrong for starters; or allowed to see the process; and rarely is anyone caught anyway.

Been anywhere nice?

Ah, see what you mean. Fair point.

Back in the UK for a few days. Just thank your lucky stars you weren't on the same flight. Me, a late night flight, onboard wine and lots of it, South Korean cabin crew... I'm sure you can picture the verbal carnage...

On 2017-5-3 at 1:49 PM, baboon said:

Ah, see what you mean. Fair point.

Back in the UK for a few days. Just thank your lucky stars you weren't on the same flight. Me, a late night flight, onboard wine and lots of it, South Korean cabin crew... I'm sure you can picture the verbal carnage...

In Australia, a current govt person was "moved to the backbench" after being found a "person of interest" in the corrupt and illegal gaining of loot for the same state party and the same federal party. Despite evidence to prove otherwise, this creature now is a minister. 

Corruption exists everywhere, in Thailand, extremely poorly paid govt officials use influence to "expediate" events, ministers in office are no different from any other country. I fail to see any particular bias in Thailand nor the need to post the obvious. Got a solution to worldwide official massive corruption? No. I thought not