Taxi operators urged to clamp down on illegal drivers

Taxi operators urged to clamp down on illegal drivers

By The Nation

691f786078e3d9b7519ae0de9727c991.jpeg

Taxi operators have been urged to ensure that cooperatives operate within the law after some taxis were found to have been rented out to drivers who did not hold public service driving licenses.

A meeting between Cooperative Promotion Department, the Department of Land Transport and 58 taxi cooperatives was held on Tuesday following complaints about illegal taxi drivers.

Vinaroj Supsongsuk, director-general of the Cooperative Promotion Department said after the meeting that the 58 taxi cooperatives would discuss how to better control their members and keep a record of their taxi drivers. 

The department and the cooperatives will meet again to make conclusions and submit them to the Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives later, said Vinaroj. 

He added that the department would tackle the loopholes in the regulations for taxi cooperatives and make a list of taxis, which have operated for more than nine years. The list will be forwarded to the Department of Land Transport and the Royal Thai Police. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30314054

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-5-2

Reform has been planned for many years with nothing changing. This industry doesn't need reform, it needs a complete rebuild. Chiang Mai meter taxi's are a joke, they never turn the meter on and the prices are almost double that of the same distance in Bangkok. Then they have the audacity to complain about Uber stealing their business, if they offered a value added service, their would be no need for Uber.

taxi operator complain , What a joke , what about customers who are scammed by every taxi , no meter , price double than Bangkok ...etc . This is a long story as Taxi companies , cooperative as they say , are very powerful on the island and even army did not success to bring them to heel

I am not sure that there is a problem. As long as the photo fixed to the dashboard is of a bloke from Buriram, and the chap manipulating the controls is also from Buriram, I fail to see that it matters...

Edited by JAG

8 hours ago, JAG said:

I am not sure that there is a problem. As long as the photo fixed to the dashboard is of a bloke from Buriram, and the chap manipulating the controls is also from Buriram, I fail to see that it matters...

And you would know this is a fact because he didn't change the picture or it's not of his brother who looks similar?

It's hard enough to get a cab now I can imagine what would happen if you wanted to check his ID card against the picture on the dash!  Remember the American who was disgusted and threw his coffee at the cab?

It's more like "he stopped get in quick".

The poor girl that got raped and has caused all this was probably just trying to jump the queue at the airport and got into a taxi that she thought was legit...

EVERYTHING wrong with this country comes down to one thing ENFORCEMENT!!

There are MANY reasons (baht) why it doesn't happen and many ways of fixing it but as long as the envelopes keep changing hands there is NO incentive...