Are Thai people hard of hearing?

I have no problem with reasonably load music, But why do they have to crank the bass up to maximum so that all they can hear is the bass!

It has long amused me how they accept ridiculously stupid, ear damaging noisy exhausts, the trucks for me are the worse offenders! also noticed that no matter how poor they are they can afford to change the exhaust system on their motorcycles so that they sound like cement mixers on steroids!

I live in a very unassuming building in Thonburi. The apartment is basic but has a nice balcony, however there are many better, bigger options nearby at the same price. People ask me why I stay.....because my building and floor are dead quiet ! It is the only place in Bangkok that I have lived in where I have peace and serenity, nobody bothers me, I have only ever seen a couple of my neighbors, usually only hear the doors close and then they are in the elevator. Every other place had some element of noise from the neighbors TV/Stereo to the security guards having full on dialogues about god knows what at 3:30 Am with the locals.

They may have to carry me out of here someday....but for now I'll take peace and quiet anyday over amenities.

Try living in the sticks, you get your obligatory shouting, loud music, along with chickens dogs cats tokares, frogs, Birds, iguanas snakes every biting insect in the world, and plants that sting,  yep love the place, Also if i do any work like a bit of brick laying pipe work or anything the locals have the right to just walk in when i am not there and survey and criticise my handiwork, usualy not up to the high standards of Thai workmen. apparently.

Edited by Thongkorn

I don't think it's a hearing problem. Playing loud music sometimes provides some Thais with a sense of higher social status, sometimes it's a manhood thing. In the old days nobody had a home stereo system, and the only amplified music came from the temple and large special occasions (weddings, ordination, funerals), so the ability to play amplified music provides more status in Thailand than it might provide in the West where practically everyone has a home entertainment system. 

My neighbors sometimes crank up the volume when they've just acquired some new tunes. It almost seems like they are proudly broadcasting for the neighbors to enjoy it as well. 

I don't think Thais are above passively-aggressively playing loud music in order to annoy someone, especially after the complainer has let it be known that the loud music bothers them. Aggressively complaining about loud music is tricky and sometimes dangerous, especially when young males and/or drinking is involved.

I recently rented a room in an apartment building in France. The neighbors were as quiet as mice, but fairly often cars with thumping loud bass sound systems would rattle the windows. Noise pollution seems to be increasing in step with world population growth.

Maybe if you can convince Prayut that this is hurting Thailand's peace and happiness, you can get him to crack down on these inconsiderate loud music loving troublemakers. Mass arrests probably wouldn't be necessary, just make examples out of a few people.:smile:

4 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Try living in the sticks, you get your obligatory shouting, loud music, along with chickens dogs cats tokares, frogs, Birds, iguanas snakes every biting insect in the world, and plants that sting,  yep love the place, Also if i do any work like a bit of brick laying pipe work or anything the locals have the right to just walk in when i am not there and survey and criticise my handiwork, usualy not up to the high standards of Thai workmen. apparently.

With you on most of it dont have barking dogs. I have the opposite problem wnen i have done some work around the house. I get constantly asked if i would go do theres. 

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I don't think it's a hearing problem. Playing loud music sometimes provides some Thais with a sense of higher social status, sometimes it's a manhood thing. In the old days nobody had a home stereo system, and the only amplified music came from the temple and large special occasions (weddings, ordination, funerals), so the ability to play amplified music provides more status in Thailand than it might provide in the West where practically everyone has a home entertainment system. 

My neighbors sometimes crank up the volume when they've just acquired some new tunes. It almost seems like they are proudly broadcasting for the neighbors to enjoy it as well. 

I don't think Thais are above passively-aggressively playing loud music in order to annoy someone, especially after the complainer has let it be known that the loud music bothers them. Aggressively complaining about loud music is tricky and sometimes dangerous, especially when young males and/or drinking is involved.

I recently rented a room in an apartment building in France. The neighbors were as quiet as mice, but fairly often cars with thumping loud bass sound systems would rattle the windows. Noise pollution seems to be increasing in step with world population growth.

Maybe if you can convince Prayut that this is hurting Thailand's peace and happiness, you can get him to crack down on these inconsiderate loud music loving troublemakers. Mass arrests probably wouldn't be necessary, just make examples out of a few people.:smile:

And there goesfreedom of speech and actions.

Edited by jeab1980

In the sticks, over the road a cassava collection depot opened. Bit noisy in the evening for a couple of hours as they load the wagons. Don't mind as it is a big agri area and, hey, live and let live, no point in getting stressed about it.

However, he got a new shovel loader the other day, C/W reversing beeper.

Drove me nuts for a couple of days. Missus plays cards ther most afternoons and said it was putting her off her game.

Same day fuse pulled, no more noise.

She's great my missus.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

We are lucky, despite living in a village we get very little gratuitous noise, even puyai-baan only comes on the speakers once a week.

OK the wat fires up a couple of times a month but their sound system is good and the karaoke singers seem to be selected and can actually sing, wedding parties on occasion and the invariable 2-stroke brush-cutters. There's a nightclub or the like on the far side of the river and if the wind is wrong we get club music until the unholy hours, not often, but I feel for the souls who live nearby.

BUT

I don't like malls at the best of times (I have a problem with crowded places if I can't see the exit), but what drives me over the edge is the advertising sound systems. Pretty (mostly) ladies yelling into cheap mics with the gain set to 11 competing with one another for sound pressure, followed in the (rare) lulls by some awful "music". Arrgghh.

Now, about those "disco-buses"...

ah yes the  village speaker system, used to have it  near our house but it mysteriously got broken about 2-3  months  back now :whistling:

Takes them about  a  year and  a  half to fix a broken street  light so am expecting it  back on mid 2018

6 hours ago, transam said:

Sure, I have been to concerts back home where the music was loud, but the big difference was no distortion, everything sounded great but here the main ingredient is noise and forget about the rest...

At the Albert Hall I listened to the 1812 Overture, had "cannons" up in the dome area, absolutely fab with no probs for the listeners...:smile:

Do you want my stories here....?....:smile:

It's also telling that there is no word for "distortion" (as it applies to audio) in the Thai language.  Trust me--I speak a fair amount of Thai, and not only does the word not exist, it's virtually impossible to explain the concept of audio distortion to a Thai (unless of course they've studied recording engineering, etc., overseas--and then, the conversation is going to be in English).

8 hours ago, starky said:

Yep them pesky Thais again. No one else in the world plays their sound systems really loud or disturb their neighbours or have massive sound systems in their cars or pick ups. You also never see loud concerts or parties anywhere else either good pick up you must be right it's dodgy Thai genetics. No where near as good as "ours" :saai:

These anti Thai topics are so stupid. The creators must live under rocks or be 90yo and forget what happens in the real world.

1 hour ago, Chou Anou said:

It's also telling that there is no word for "distortion" (as it applies to audio) in the Thai language.  Trust me--I speak a fair amount of Thai, and not only does the word not exist, it's virtually impossible to explain the concept of audio distortion to a Thai (unless of course they've studied recording engineering, etc., overseas--and then, the conversation is going to be in English).

Not it's not. Music not smooth it's warped. Easy.

20 hours ago, petermik said:

Our "neighbour" down south usually plays music (noise) from an artist known as Shadow,so my gf tells me, at around 4/5am as he takes a break from his rubber tree cutting............really nice guy but oblivious to anyone else who might be asleep at this early hour. 

You've hit the nail on the head here! Thais, in general, have little sense of community and don't care or think about anything that's not in front of them or affecting them directly. I blame the lack of critical thinking skills within the educational system. 

2 minutes ago, claffey said:

You've hit the nail on the head here! Thais, in general, have little sense of community and don't care or think about anything that's not in front of them or affecting them directly. I blame the lack of critical thinking skills within the educational system. 

Guys who dropped out of school at age 12 are not going to be exposed to critical thinking; and basic thinking skills should be taught by parents. If the dad is a drunk and the mum has a year 6 education level what do you expect?