Pattaya "Marina" plans for Bali Hai port area nothing but a shambles

webfact

Pattaya "Marina" plans for Bali Hai port area nothing but a shambles

18222631_1518054061548856_1923822474850606358_n.jpg

Picture: STV Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- Plans to turn the Bali Hai port area of Pattaya into a useful space for the public are in shambles according to critics of the plan.

Despite hundreds of millions of baht being earmarked for the development of the area into a marina and public park all there really is to show for the years of inaction is a car park.

Sinchai Watanasatsathon, head of a local chamber of commerce group, said that the plans are in a mess and that what was envisaged as a boon for the public is now little more than a source of embarrassment.

Sophon Cable quoted several interested parties on Facebook to back up Sinchai's assertions as the project has become mired in corruption allegations.

A staggering 735 million baht was supposed to be spent on upgrading both sea going and land transport infrastructure but with little more than a bare car park in place the public and business people are getting increasingly frustrated.

Storm damage in 2015 that stalled operations has never been overcome to everyone's satisfaction.

And comments from the public on Facebook following the story paint a picture of people pointing an accusing picture at those in charge of budgets for the area - posters called for action to root out corruption in Pattaya as the only way for the project to move forward.

Source: STV Pattaya

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-04

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides corruption I really question whether they are urban planning/park management incompetent....

please give me a planned green area anywhere in thailand done by local city management where someone can say "wow this is wonderful"

Many years ago, when this Bali High Marina was first conceived, the idea was to create a "State-of-the-Art" International Marina to enable foreign yachts to visit Pattaya. Today this Marina looks like it has been around for 50 years, without maintenance and it appears that only many plywood-built tourist boats are moored here. Personally I find this a real shame and it saddens me everytime I drive by there.

50 minutes ago, lavender19 said:

Well you  would be happy in a pot zone

My entire home country is about to become a legal "pot zone"for adults by those days are long gone for me.

1 hour ago, jaapfries said:

Many years ago, when this Bali High Marina was first conceived, the idea was to create a "State-of-the-Art" International Marina to enable foreign yachts to visit Pattaya. Today this Marina looks like it has been around for 50 years, without maintenance and it appears that only many plywood-built tourist boats are moored here. Personally I find this a real shame and it saddens me everytime I drive by there.

& it's already been rebuilt at least once, maybe twice, or ..

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Besides corruption I really question whether they are urban planning/park management incompetent....

please give me a planned green area anywhere in thailand done by local city management where someone can say "wow this is wonderful"

Rama 9 Park in Bangkok, perhaps?

10 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

There were so many tourists at the pier last week walking to boats that I thought the weight of the people may sink the pier.

Give it time.....:whistling:

Corruption and greed - root cause of 95% of Thailand's problems and unfortunately this is taught at a very young age by so called loving parents - look after your family and everyone else is fair game

Corruption and nepotism in Pattaya City projects has been common practice in city government for 50 years.

That is how the illegal buildings on Walking Street were built, the Beach Road restoration that never ends, and don't forget the disgraceful Construction Camp and Waste Water Pump that never goes away at the junction of Beach Road and Walking Street, etc., etc.

So much Thainess!!!!......  Mai Pen Rai!!!!

5 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

they say corruption can grease the wheels to get things moving. looks like we need more grease.

there is already grease with corrupt officials taking money and doing nothing !! they have destroyed beach road with no seats on there and it is disgusting how farlang holiday makers have to sit on the dirty floor where cochroaches are , next december i am booking to go to philippines for 3 months as holiday makers are better treated there and i wont have to put up with sitting on the dirty floor on beach road