'Good Samaritan' celeb turns out to be deadly car crash suspect

webfact

'Good Samaritan' celeb turns out to be deadly car crash suspect

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

ตระเวน-เชาเชา-2-696x464.jpg

DJ Chawalit Simankhongtham offers money to Somkuan Thong-asa, mother of a 18-year-old man whom he struck in an April 27 car accident. The victim died on Tuesday.

BANGKOK — For several days, social media heaped praise on a celebrity actor and DJ who was seen helping a teenager injured by a motorcycle accident.

The incident took place in the early hours of April 27 in Bang Khen. Chawalit Simankhongtham said at the time he saw the teenger hit by another motorcyclist, who fled the scene, so he stopped his car and went out to help tend the victim’s wounds. The teeanger, 18-year-old Jirapas Thong-asa, later died of his injuries on Tuesday.

Full story:  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/05/05/good-samaritan-celeb-turns-deadly-car-crash-suspect/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-05-05

DJ Chow Chow faces three charges in fatal car-motorbike crash

IMG_1012.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Saimai police have imposed three charges on well-known radio DJ Chow Chow in a car crash that fatally injured a motorcycle street racer on April 27.

The radio DJ who plays music on EFM 104.5 radio channel or Mr Chavalit Srimankongtham, is now charged with reckless driving that caused death and damage to other, driving with no driving licence, and has no third-party insurance coverage.

The imposition of three charges on the radio DJ came after Saimai police obtained a video footage at the crash scene, and forensic inspection on the Vajarapol- Sukhaphibarn 5 road showed no traces of his attempt to put on the braking system upon crash.

The video footage showed the victim engaged a motorcycle race with another youth on the road when he was hit by the Lexus cardriven by the DJ.

The youth Jirapat Thong-arsa, 18, died later at Bhumibol hospital.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dj-chow-chow-faces-three-charges-fatal-car-motorbike-crash/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-05

Chawalit only showed up to the police station to acknowledge the charges on Thursday. He reportedly told police he had busy schedule.

“We contacted him many times to come talk to us, but he said he wasn’t ready. He has a lot of appointments,” investigator Chainarong said.

Hopefully one with a prison cell soon.

5 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I will let the courts judge upon him, but at least he stopped to try to render some sort of assistance. That is more than a lot of the locals do when they see or are involved with a crash.

''He also disputed one eyewitness’ account that he tried to flee the scene; Chawalit said he was merely moving his car to the side the road to avoid further accident.''

Despite may times asking various Thai relatives and friends I have yet to find out what gender this odd person is. It sits on various talent show panels dressed weirdly and would be more at home seen in a Reliant Robin than a Lexus. At least it has a different eyeshade on in the photograph, usually it wears one with a peak on the side over one ear and another with the peak at the back. An accountant perhaps?

I'm still not quite sure what happened here... 

Two motorcycles involved in a race, one of which collided with the Lexus. 

The Lexus driver lied about the incident and claimed he had just stopped to assist the injured party. 

I'm curious, how was the Lexus driver driving recklessly?... did he go into the back of the racing motorcycles?

Seems like a good analogy of Thailand---

Nothing is what is seem...

Presented with a fake smile--a wolf in sheeps clothing...

All an illusion and an IMAGE to protect--Image..not reality:wai:

Hello Mista..U so hansum --u waan massage=just give me $$$$

Nevr been surrounded by so many liars and hypocrites..and yes

i will be leaving in a week--so save the snarky response....

I saw the CCTV footage of this accident on Thai tv this morning. To me it looked from that as if the motorcyclist was 100% at fault. It pulled straight into the right hand lane immediately in front of the car, at speed and apparently without looking. From what I saw I thought there was no way the car could have stopped or avoided hitting the motorbike.   I was puzzled as to why such a big fuss was being made and why the celeb driver was apologizing.  I felt a bit sorry for the bloke and thought he was being made into a scapegoat because he was a rich celeb. Having read this thread I now understand why there was a fuss - no licence and no insurance (and maybe failing to stop after the accident?). If he had been on the road legally then on the evidence of the CCTV footage I saw on the news I reckon he would be in the clear as to my mind there was nothing he could have done to avoid hitting the motorbike. But not being street legal (and his apparently failing to stop?) it seems have put the blame firmly at his door.  (Of course his subsequent behaviour, apparently pretending to be a good Samaritan who was not involved with the accident but who witnessed it also helps with the apportionment of blame after the event. Despicable behaviour but perhaps motivated by genuine remorse while wanting to hide the truth?). 

Edited by White Tiger

7 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

I saw the CCTV footage of this accident on Thai tv this morning. To me it looked from that as if the motorcyclist was 100% at fault. It pulled straight into the right hand lane immediately in front of the car, at speed and apparently without looking. From what I saw I thought there was no way the car could have stopped or avoided hitting the motorbike.   I was puzzled as to why such a big fuss was being made and why the celeb driver was apologizing.  I felt a bit sorry for the bloke and thought he was being made into a scapegoat because he was a rich celeb. Having read this thread I now understand why there was a fuss - no licence and no insurance (and maybe failing to stop after the accident?). If he had been on the road legally then on the evidence of the CCTV footage I saw on the news I reckon he would be in the clear as to my mind there was nothing he could have done to avoid hitting the motorbike. But not being street legal (and his apparently failing to stop?) it seems have put the blame firmly at his door.  (Of course his subsequent behaviour, apparently pretending to be a good Samaritan who was not involved with the accident but who witnessed it also helps with the apportionment of blame after the event. Despicable behaviour but perhaps motivated by genuine remorse while wanting to hide the truth?). 

That offers a better explanation of what happened. Although if I'm not mistaken he did stop to render assistance at the scene... this is what he was initially commended for before 'people' (media) discovered he was directly involved with the accident. 

While driving without insurance or a license is illegal, the 'road racers' were also racing illegally and caused the accident. I wonder if the motorcyclists racing had licenses... 

.... This is why I have a Dash-Cam and also why I ensure I am always legal... That said, its easy to let the tax slip... it's happened to me where I was driving for 3 months with out of date road tax. 

What is it with the constant offering of money to victims, family members!

Disgusting behaviour in my opinion.

Money would never bring back any friend or member of my family, who thankfully are all still alive.

Money seems to be the magic cure for everything here.

Crazy!

1 hour ago, pentap said:

What is it with the constant offering of money to victims, family members!

Disgusting behaviour in my opinion.

Money would never bring back any friend or member of my family, who thankfully are all still alive.

Money seems to be the magic cure for everything here.

Crazy!

The problem with giving money is the amounts are chicken feed for the crimes involved. Back home civil suits involving money are useful tools as it can bankrupt the person or entity that incurs them. 

4 hours ago, White Tiger said:

Not having seen the video, and relying on your report, if the motorcycle pulled in front of the car at speed and was then hit, doesn't that mean the car was moving faster? If a car is moving faster than an alleged racing motorcycle, how is the unlicensed and uninsured driver absolved of all blame?

handing an envelope with cash to the victims family in front of cameras,are you <deleted> kidding me...is everything in Thailand a drama filled over produced fame grab,OPORTUNITY...

4 hours ago, White Tiger said:

Here's the CCTV footage and and as you say, the motorcyclist is in a group of bikes waiting at a junction and pulls out in front of the path of the car, which has right of way. Also seems like a lot of his friends just flee the scene on their bikes.

Edited by katana

both are in the wrong. The teen was racing along the road and already inviting trouble. 

DJ shouldn't have drove without a license. 

DJ should have count himself lucky that there was CCTV footage proving he was not the cause of the accident at least.

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

''He also disputed one eyewitness’ account that he tried to flee the scene; Chawalit said he was merely moving his car to the side the road to avoid further accident.''

according to the accounts of the paramedics who arrived on the scene, it was Chawalit who made the call for help, stay with the teen at the scene and even accompany him to the hospital till the next morning.

the Teen's friends all fled the scene.

I saw the interview on Thai news source. 

there CCTV footage as well of the accident.

there are photos of Chawalit staying at scene and offering help as well all over social media.

I think the some news outlet and the teen's family tried to vilified Chawalit too much.

No doubt he drove without license, no excuse but some of the facts have been twisted here.

9 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

according to the accounts of the paramedics who arrived on the scene, it was Chawalit who made the call for help, stay with the teen at the scene and even accompany him to the hospital till the next morning.

the Teen's friends all fled the scene.

I saw the interview on Thai news source. 

there CCTV footage as well of the accident.

there are photos of Chawalit staying at scene and offering help as well all over social media.

I think the some news outlet and the teen's family tried to vilified Chawalit too much.

No doubt he drove without license, no excuse but some of the facts have been twisted here.

He also lied and tried to cover up his culpability. 

As for offering money to the mother while all the press was around, that's contemptible. 

Yes, if he tried to help after he hit the kid, as some reports say, that is commendable. 

However other witnesses say he did try to flee, he says not so. I don't know, I wasn't there. 

Nonetheless, driving without insurance or a licence is the act of an arrogant <deleted>. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Just now, Bluespunk said:

He also lied and tried to cover up his culpability. 

He's a piece of shit. 

Blues, for this I think you might have to do more digging. I mostly agree with what you say normally but for this once I think you might be wrong. 

the paramedics have to write in their report for every accident and according to their accounts it was indeed Chawalit who made the call and stayed to help. 

He did not lie about anything. Chawalit's account and the paramedics accounts and the CCTV all are in line with each other, and I have seen other interviews and report.

The initial reports were trying to vilify Chawalit. Of course I am not saying he is an angel. He drove without a license. He should not even be driving. But he was not the cause of the accident and he did not fled the scene as made by earlier claims. He was responsible for his actions all the way.

3 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Blues, for this I think you might have to do more digging. I mostly agree with what you say normally but for this once I think you might be wrong. 

the paramedics have to write in their report for every accident and according to their accounts it was indeed Chawalit who made the call and stayed to help. 

He did not lie about anything. Chawalit's account and the paramedics accounts and the CCTV all are in line with each other, and I have seen other interviews and report.

The initial reports were trying to vilify Chawalit. Of course I am not saying he is an angel. He drove without a license. He should not even be driving. But he was not the cause of the accident and he did not fled the scene as made by earlier claims. He was responsible for his actions all the way.

I modified my post. However as to whether he lied

"Chawalit Simankhongtham said at the time he saw the teenger hit by another motorcyclist, who fled the scene,"

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I modified my post. However as to whether he lied

"Chawalit Simankhongtham said at the time he saw the teenger hit by another motorcyclist, who fled the scene,"

That was misreporting by the initial news reports. They were trying to vilify him to sell the news.

Even the mother of the Teen was trying to paint the picture that her son was a really good boy who went to school everyday with good results.

Now that the CCTV footage is out, her son was racing and causing a nuisance of himself on the road.

TVF should do better checks on their news sources as well than to post misleading reports like this for better viewership.

This video was from my dashcam. I was really lucky to not be driving fast to avoid these street racers.

12 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

That was misreporting by the initial news reports. They were trying to vilify him to sell the news.

Even the mother of the Teen was trying to paint the picture that her son was a really good boy who went to school everyday with good results.

Now that the CCTV footage is out, her son was racing and causing a nuisance of himself on the road.

TVF should do better checks on their news sources as well than to post misleading reports like this for better viewership.

This video was from my dashcam. I was really lucky to not be driving fast to avoid these street racers.

I'm not defending the child or mother however the reports I have read state

"On the first day we talked to him, he only said two motorcycles crashed into each other and he happened to be at the scene,” investigator Chainarong Daengsongkhum of Sai Mai Police Station said by telephone. “Yesterday he admitted to being the driver.”

and

"Police did not identify any suspect until Jirapas’ mother filed a complaint to police on Tuesday and urged them to seek out Chawalit as the driver who fatally injured her son. Chawalit still told the media he was not involved in the crash, but police soon obtained footage of the scene which they said clearly identified Chawalit as the driver."

Now if these claims prove false I'm sure he'll sue...

As to your dash cam footage, I agree, that could well have gone badly. There are reckless teens out there, lucky for them there are those who drive in a rational manner such as yourself. 

Edited by Bluespunk