9 years overstay

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Matter of curiosity..If there is no national airline from a deportees home country serving Bangkok, how is it handled?

For instance, with the departure of Delta and United, no US flag carrier now serves Thailand. What is done with American deportees?

I believe it becomes a tricky situation. Speculation ... Hopefully, this is where your consular staff in Thailand earn their keep. They will need to negotiate with airlines and transit countries to allow the deportation to proceed. There might be conditions such as someone needing to accompany you on the initial flight until a connection onto a national carrier.

I believe it becomes a tricky situation. Speculation ... Hopefully, this is where your consular staff in Thailand earn their keep. They will need to negotiate with airlines and transit countries to allow the deportation to proceed. There might be conditions such as someone needing to accompany you on the initial flight until a connection onto a national carrier.

No once you arrive at the flight they uncuff you and you fly like a normal passenger. It's just overstay

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, jaymbkk said:

No once you arrive at the flight they uncuff you and you fly like a normal passenger. It's just overstay

Airlines will routinely refuse to accept passengers being deported. Most countries will not allow people being deported to transit through their country. If you are saying the reason for deportation ought to be taken into account, I agree with you. It is not unless special arrangements are negotiated. For a direct flight from Thailand to home country on the national airline, there is no major problem. There is a rule that the airline must accept the passenger in that situation. When being deported on random airlines through transit points, it is not so simple.

Airlines will routinely refuse to accept passengers being deported. Most countries will not allow people being deported to transit through their country. If you are saying the reason for deportation ought to be taken into account, I agree with you. It is not unless special arrangements are negotiated. For a direct flight from Thailand to home country on the national airline, there is no major problem. There is a rule that the airline must accept the passenger in that situation. When being deported on random airlines through transit points, it is not so simple.

In my case my brother bought a normal ticket with Emirates and that was all. One thing for certain you can't rely on either immigration or your embassy to so shit. You're on your own

7 hours ago, jaymbkk said:

In my case my brother bought a normal ticket with Emirates and that was all. One thing for certain you can't rely on either immigration or your embassy to so shit. You're on your own

As ive said many times i dont judge people each to there own but if you overtstay its on your head no one elses so why should immigration or your Embassy help you apart from comfirming your alive and being fed. Whatever food it is its food.

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

So what should one do, if there are no direct flights to one's home country. For example, there are no direct flights from Thailand to Canada, or Brazil, or Columbia, etc.

I would just add that, if the person on overstay can scrape together the money for a cheap one-way ticket to home country, plus 20,000 baht for the overstay fine, just leaving voluntarily is the preferred procedure. It is overall cheaper than going through deportation. Of course, there is no way (without using dodgy agents) of avoiding the blacklisting.

What about if they try to leave overland or a cheap flight to Vietnam or somewhere?

That way they would only need about 22000THB

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Did you have to pay for a full price ticket and was it to your own country?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

When you're deported you can only leave for your own country.

On 5/6/2017 at 4:53 AM, BritTim said:

Leaving aside the attempt to hide your identity, this is the procedure. Once the person on overstay is discovered, he is arrested and taken to court. The court assesses a fine for the overstay of up to 20,000 baht (but usually less). He is then transferred to the immigration detention center (IDC). If he has money for the fine assessed in court plus an (expensive) air ticket direct to home country, usually on the national airline, and he has a current passport (or emergency travel document) he is in principle free to be deported. If he has no money for the fine, the fine is reduced by 200 baht for each day he is held in the IDC. The Thai authorities will never pay for the deportation. These days, in most cases, the authorities in your home country will also not pay the cost of deportation. There are charities that may eventually pay the cost of deportation for the indigent, but only after years languishing in the IDC. While the IDC is not bad by the standards of Thai jails, you would need a pretty good constitution to survive years there.

If the Thai authorities cannot verify your identity, I would imagine they would hold you in a regular Thai jail until they can. Once your identity is established, see above.

You will have to stay in IDC for two to three weeks whilst immigration liaise with the Royal Thai police to make sure that there are no outstanding warrants against your friend. Only after this has been done will he be deported.

On 5/7/2017 at 3:57 AM, williamgeorgeallen said:

guess many people have abused the privateer of falling back on their overseas embassies.  

What's possibly also driving the 'no help' policy is public opinion back home.

A couple of years back a newspaper (forget what country) did a survey on this point. Local sentiment was that taxpayers funds should not be used in any way to help folks who went abroad and got themselves into trouble. 

My own home country will not give direct help but they will contact family at home and arrange 1 or 2 telephone calls (I understand nowadays using Line of similar free services). Family back home can lodge funds for a ticket and other OS expenses (maybe fines) with foreign affairs office at home which can be drawn on here in the Bkk embassy, but an officer from the Bkk embassy will accompany the 'person' and ensure fines etc., are settled promptly and receipts received, also oversee purchase of air tickets ensuring that it's a ticket which can never be cashed-in.  

Also they will send an e.mail to a nominated family member back home to confirm what has happened in terms of the funds lodged and with scanned copies of receipts, airline tickets. etc.

Edited by scorecard

On 06/05/2017 at 5:35 PM, chrisinth said:

I would agree. However, the vast majority of countries stick with the laws that govern them and do not relax/ignore these laws to increase tourism.

As @impulse stated earlier, this was the scenario in Thailand, the authorities were lax on the immigration laws allowing people to be flexible with them. And yes, of course there were those who abused them.

However, IMO. it was not the over-stayers that changed the game plan but rather the changing threat from terrorism, real or imagined, that made the authorities enforce their border regulations. And rightly so!

And as you should very well know if you have been living here since 1982, the relaxation has been going on for most if not all of that time. I only know from the late 80's when it was only 15(?) days you got for visa exempt. We used to fly in from Hong Kong on a regular basis and stay anywhere up to 3 weeks and just pay the daily 200 baht fine for days over the 15 day mark. It was handy and it was good, especially for people like us who couldn't plan an agenda as we would only know last minute when we were on leave.

I never classed myself as a criminal for taking advantage of relaxed regulations.

This is not a dig at you gandalf12, just using your comment as a platform to express an opinion (that may have turned into a bit of a rant)..............................:smile:

I totally agree with you. That was back in the days when Airport tax was Baht 50. I personally think if you have made a commitment to Thailand e.g. a Thai family etc then you should be given a visa for life unless you commit murder or deal in less accepted trades. However, that as we both know is not the case and as archaic as some of the laws are we have to work within them. I don't like the 90 day reporting but I do it. They clamp down on foreigners illegally working fine but we never hear of the companies who hire these people illegally having anything don't to them. Maybe they do but this is getting away from the topic. I have in the past done border runs just like you have.

If they were a little bit more forward thinking those of us who have set up home in Thailand would enjoy it a lot more and the country would also benefit from it.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2017 at 0:16 PM, gandalf12 said:

I totally agree with you. That was back in the days when Airport tax was Baht 50. I personally think if you have made a commitment to Thailand e.g. a Thai family etc then you should be given a visa for life unless you commit murder or deal in less accepted trades. However, that as we both know is not the case and as archaic as some of the laws are we have to work within them. I don't like the 90 day reporting but I do it. They clamp down on foreigners illegally working fine but we never hear of the companies who hire these people illegally having anything don't to them. Maybe they do but this is getting away from the topic. I have in the past done border runs just like you have.

If they were a little bit more forward thinking those of us who have set up home in Thailand would enjoy it a lot more and the country would also benefit from it.

"if you have made a commitment to Thailand" - "a Thai family etc then you should be given a visa for life"

And how would that "visa" be revoked when you divorce?

Having a "Thai family/wife" is not making a commitment to Thailand, it is making a commitment to a person or people - totally different.

How many married bar girls would there be if they started handing out visas for life if you married a Thai?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

"if you have made a commitment to Thailand" - "a Thai family etc then you should be given a visa for life"

Having a "Thai family/wife" is not making a commitment to Thailand, it is making a commitment to a person or people - totally different.

How many married bar girls would there be if they started handing out visas for life if you married a Thai?

Same as they do in other countries if you become a citizen then divorce you are still a citizen. Of course making a commitment to a wife and family is making a commitment to Thailand.  One goes cap on hand with the other.

Edited by jeab1980

3 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Same as the do in other countries if you become a citizen then divorce you are still a citizen. Of course making a commitment to a wife and family is making a commitment to Thailand.  One goes cap on hand with the other.

Hold on there Tonto - nobody, (least of all you) mentioned citizenship!

Jeez, your ideas get more ridiculous by the moment, first a "visa" for life and now citizenship just because you are married !

3 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Hold on there Tonto - nobody, (least of all you) mentioned citizenship!

Jeez, your ideas get more ridiculous by the moment, first a "visa" for life and now citizenship just because you are married !

Wow hold on tonto i never (least of all me) mentioned visas for life dear me read peoples posts then quote the correct pepole tonto.

On 2017-5-7 at 11:26 PM, jaymbkk said:

After check in you go into the 'holding lounge' you are then taken to the gate, I was given my passport and was actually allowed to go to Duty Free for a bottle or two on the way.

Nice Cop.!

Got on the plane with passport in pocket.

This was 2003 though, maybe not the same nowadays.

After check in you go into the 'holding lounge' you are then taken to the gate, I was given my passport and was actually allowed to go to Duty Free for a bottle or two on the way.
Nice Cop.!
Got on the plane with passport in pocket.
This was 2003 though, maybe not the same nowadays.

About the same for me ! In 2011

17 minutes ago, dentonian said:

What does that have to do with his situation?

I thought his joke was pretty funny actually. He was implying that IDC might be preferable to staying with his wife if their relationship was bad enough! He probably had not considered the possibility that his humor would be missed. I have made similar mistakes myself.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I thought his joke was pretty funny actually. He was implying that IDC might be preferable to staying with his wife if their relationship was bad enough! He probably had not considered the possibility that his humor would be missed. I have made similar mistakes myself.

I know it was a tounge in cheek question and I did consider posting a picture of a Thai pin up girl as a reply.   :whistling:

But in seriousness, he has no income, no savings, no pension, nothing, hence being stuck in his overstay situation.

She works, pays the rent, puts food on the table and still takes care of him after 30 years together.

I think that speaks volumes for the kind of woman she is, and negates the myth that all Thai women are just after money.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, muzmurray said:

At the registry office. Wouldn't need to be issued until a number of years married. Of course you can find fault with it but other countries do it. The UK will issue a visa for your wife after you have been married a number of years, I know because me wife had one. It is not citizenship just the right to live there and come and go as you wish.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, muzmurray said:

You would still be married and providing for your wife. Obviously it is a difficult concept to grasp I understand.

1 hour ago, gandalf12 said:

At the registry office. Wouldn't need to be issued until a number of years married. Of course you can find fault with it but other countries do it. The UK will issue a visa for your wife after you have been married a number of years, I know because me wife had one. It is not citizenship just the right to live there and come and go as you wish.

Once they obtain ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain), which now takes 5 years, they actually have a Biometric Residence permit placed in their passport. Not citizenship as you say, but allows entry/exit without a Visa as they now have residency rights.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 0:34 AM, maxman71 said:

Back in 2005 in Phuket, I knew a Brit fellow who got picked up for overstay of a few months. His getting picked up for OS was actually arranged by two of his close friends from the UK who were also in Phuket. The reason they arranged for his OS arrest was this fellow was "losing it"; he blew through his meager cash, had no income, owed some local Thais money who were after him, he had 4 kids he owed years of child support back in the UK and was barely surviving from funds his elderly father was sending him, which he typically used for the carnal pleasures of Phuket. So by having him arrested for OS, his pals were intervening for his own good. He was in the Phuket IDC for several weeks before his father sent the funds for his air ticket home. We visited him a couple of times to bring him food as the daily feed at IDC was fish heads and watery rice soup. He shared a cell measuring about 10 x 10m with about 15 other detainees. No bedding, one open toilet, tile flooring, open air and no AC. Not the Bangkok monkey house prison but no picnic either.

Close friends!!? What if he'd died in jail? If they really had to interfere and make an intervention "for his own good" they might have completed the favour and funded him a ticket home....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

Not just "other countries" - almost every other country gives Permanent Residence to the spouses of citizens after a period of time, and the right to apply for work on the same level as citizens comes sooner than that.  Granted, some countries give permanent-residence far too soon, such as the USA.