Benefits marrying a Public Servant in Thailand

outofafrica

Well.......I am not a half empty glass type of person...but when I think about the subject matter I also include the liabilities of marrying a Government official because if and when the marriage goes south, you may very well find yourself in a vulnerable position.

At the old Suan Plue immigration office there was a pretty / cute  immigration officer that was sweet on me ( looked great in that deliberately tight fitting provocative uniform and always wearing high heel shoes )  and I thought many times about asking her for a date and starting something with her but every time I thought about it I also thought about what would happen if I pissed her off somehow, some way in our relationship and certainly if we were married, if that was the case.

The negative possibilities were more persuasive than the possible benefits so I did not pursue her interest in me any further.

Cheers

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, outofafrica said:

Thanks for all the positive inputs as for you Whiteman ,i think you should go back where you came from and ask them for a refund on your education bill!!!

Low wages at the beginning yes (my wife started on about 15,000 (still decent for Thailand when you think about other jobs)....and 4 years later is on 26,000 (plus the rent money). Salary will increase faster in level 6 as it did on level 5. The salary rises quite significantly each year, and can rise even faster if job performance is good as the boss of workplace (and committee)  can choose people who go up an extra salary level due to job satisfaction. So you can see why the pensions can be so high after working for 25 years (if they are smart enough to move up). Also the job is for life (no contracts like private sector).  A government person can even still get a loan after retirement as they get the pension forever. But you must pass the test before 35 years of age i think it is to become an official. 

In terms of paying for their jobs. It does happen. I know people who have. Whether they pass the test, and then pay to get pushed up the waiting list, pay to make a position available, their are many examples of it. That is usually in the more hotly contested jobs it seems where they have big quotas, and bigger applicants. 

But it seems the test is hard to pass. I know people who have PHD's in science or maths so pass those parts easily, pass the English obviously (as they are educated and it's a paper exam), but fail the Thai part. The Thai part is meant to be the hardest part. Which explains why I don't really respect these farang who think they are experts on the Thai language. As the level of Thai they speak isnt that good (if a 'majority' of Bachelor to PHD educated people cant even pass a 60% score). The Mrs got the second highest score in Thailand for the Thai language in school and since the government uses her on TV educational health programs...almost always when these farang say they can speak Thai, she says they know some very basic Thai words that an uneducated Thai would know but their accents are useless. So would be like being schooled from a Western person who didn't to go school. Yeah, they can speak the basics, but not much further.

Edited by wildewillie89

Actually, Thai law gives a government pension of mediocre 1% of final salary for every year worked under proper full time employment contract government worker or not!

Just saying! Makes it pretty sad when most don't work under an employment contract.

In terms of paying for their jobs. It does happen. I know people who have. Whether they pass the test, and then pay to get pushed up the waiting list, pay to make a position available, their are many examples of it. That is usually in the more hotly contested jobs it seems where they have big quotas, and bigger applicants. 

Forget about my education     Hundreds of Thousands of gov officers are lowly paid only a small percentage  are lucky to be lev  5 and upwards and they would most likely be smart and careful who they partnered up with.

The above two quotes make my comments more crystallised except for the bending over part which as we all know most Thais do most any thing to get promoted. 

My Thai Friend who is female has been a Government employee for years , she got her daughter a Job and lives in a 7 million baht house, Says it all really  it opens many Doors not available to the general public.

On 5/6/2017 at 5:18 PM, thaiguzzi said:

The above post highlights one of the main things wrong with this country and why it lags behind others whilst trying to move forward. Think USSR, Eastern block countries pre 90's, even Britain and the Commonwealth pre WW II.

Back home in the USA, gov't employees still get cost of living raises, defined benefit pension plans, great health insurance and lots of other perks that the private sector employers abandoned decades ago.  That's a large part of the reason lots of the states, cities and counties are going bankrupt, and why the Federal Gov't doesn't really care if we peasants get locked out of health care or not.  

'Cause, they're all right, Jack.

I knew  teacher who worked out in the sticks with little opportunity for advancement. She spoke and wrote near perfect English. She tried to get a job at a school in town and the director of the school said ' the job is yours for 150,000 baht ....'     That was beyond her means. Pity, i could have done with the benefits!

Oh I also forgot most Gov workers have access to cheap gov finance but they never tell you how much in debt they are to the government versus wagers to debt a bit like the usa  swimming in debt

Maybe that is why she is in 7 million bhat house,I take it that includes the land in the 7 million.?

As we know Thais  like to show they live in a big house with the new car on tick out the front and they never put the lights or the aircon on as they sit in the dark eating crossed legged on the floor eating their 30 bhat meals.

1 hour ago, whiteman said:

Oh I also forgot most Gov workers have access to cheap gov finance but they never tell you how much in debt they are to the government versus wagers to debt a bit like the usa  swimming in debt

Maybe that is why she is in 7 million bhat house,I take it that includes the land in the 7 million.?

As we know Thais  like to show they live in a big house with the new car on tick out the front and they never put the lights or the aircon on as they sit in the dark eating crossed legged on the floor eating their 30 bhat meals.

Are they really in that bigger debt? My whole extended family (on both sides) all work as government officials, I also work for two different government places (with officials), so I have countless friends who work for the government. They receive cheap interest rates compared to non-government jobs, and if you worked the first 2 years outside of your home city you get paid monthly rent. Not to mention, many will have decent size pensions when retire (if they are not complete idiots). If they are idiots, they wouldnt be earning a crap load more (with their limited contracts) in the private sector anyway (and get a small pension when retire). All of my wife's friends, who do work jobs as private engineers and the like, are wanting to make some extra cash now (private sector) and then make the move (to government sector - before 35), due to these very benefits. 

The people i know all have very well manageable debts, like I said earlier, my wife's debt will be probably end up being paid 30% by the government (a 3 bedroom house on one rai enclosed fenced land - although land was free). We are looking at building another house as the debt is so manageable.  Currently her rent money covers 50% of the homeloan monthly repayments. The biggest the repayments will ever be, the rent will still cover 30% of them. Even if we say that is 30 years away for argument sake, the repayment to salary ratio will be something like 20% of her salary. Right now it is 20% also, then we have my salaries on top of that, so we are not living in the dark, with no a/c or cheap food. And i am not some stupid farang who needs to pay for a house without having any 'legal' right to it. - another benefit of marrying a government official lol. 

Most people in the world are in some sort of debt, it's just government officials in Thai just have it a lot easier than other Thai's (why banks are willing to give officials loans so easily - even after retirement).I really don't think you have any idea (from previous comments) about wages, pensions, or just how much easier it is to do banking when you show the bank a government ID card....oh and Thai are quite open to close friends about things like debt i have found. The lawyer at my wife's office took a few of us out to eat on the night the banked approved his loan so we all knew how much it was. 

You sound like a Thai person with these exact same complaints as they couldn't pass the test, so couldn't get a loan and still live their parents...yeah government officials have a debt, but they actually have a house to live in (rather than live with their parents their whole lives). - The exact reason the majority of university graduates sit the test to become an official - the benefits are just so good not to try. 

Edited by wildewillie89

3 hours ago, rickudon said:

I knew  teacher who worked out in the sticks with little opportunity for advancement. She spoke and wrote near perfect English. She tried to get a job at a school in town and the director of the school said ' the job is yours for 150,000 baht ....'     That was beyond her means. Pity, i could have done with the benefits!

Maybe in this instance she was an employee rather than an official. Government teacher officials are controlled by Bangkok, not school directors. So each year Bangkok will know how many officials retire. Say for example 5 retire/quit in one city. They will report to all teaching graduates and teaching employees that there are 5 positions available in this city. All those who want to go for it travel from all over the country to sit the test. They choose the 5 best applicants. School directors in this instance have zero say over 'official' positions, however, they have a lot of say over teacher 'employee' positions. Still teachers, just haven't passed the official test yet - so no benefits. 

My sister in law just went through the process, hence why i have an understanding of such a weird thing to know about lol (a few positions were available from memory), she didn't pass, but her university friend did. So she is working for the private sector currently as her husband is a government official (passed both police and teaching test) anyway so shes not too stressed about it. 150,000 probably not too far off the mark if reasonable sized city. But it would be a pretty average salary, no benefits, and shes at the very bottom of the school social rank (many crappy officials get off on their position and pull rank over employees).....better off in the sticks i reckon. 

Edited by wildewillie89

8 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

My Thai Friend who is female has been a Government employee for years , she got her daughter a Job and lives in a 7 million baht house, Says it all really  it opens many Doors not available to the general public.

7M isn't out of the realms of possibility for a highly ranking officer if they also have a husband/wife with income. A C8 officer could be on 60K or more, and that would jump to 70K at C9 level.  A lot of people may think the money just rolls in. I wish it did! My wife puts in 16 hours a day officially and unofficially and often works weekends.....fortunately, once one gets a good reputation, a lot of extra, legitimate,  work comes up, and that boosts the salary more.

The main benefit I get is the health insurance for my son and myself.

I know it's hard to compare insurance coverages and healthcare in general but any estimate of yearly value of this type of coverage?  I imagine it would be relative to ones age as to what insurance would cost.  So maybe estimates for the years 60-70. And 70-80

In some other thread I mentioned that dating sites let a guy sort based on college degrees and then you run into many govt workers.  My suggestion that a guy may want to consider such benefits  that women who went to college and cultivated a career may bestow them.   I was basically told to just come to Thailand and  meet women and let nature do the rest. 

I forgot to mention that it appears that Thai women honestly report their education levels.  Just my opinion based on how many admit to only primary education levels.  

Edited by Elkski

This thread isn't quite right.  Shouldn't the question be about whether you like the girl?  Or am I missing something?

My wife is a graduate but not from a rich family.  We're settled in the UK, married for seven years and my wife is a British citizen.  That she's a graduate doesn't matter either, we are suited. 

Something very shallow about the OP's question.

10 hours ago, rickudon said:

Are you sure of your facts???

My wife is a school director, and after reading your post, i asked her about giving teachers a job.

Her answer was NO, only the area education office can do that, as a director i do not have the authority to do that.

7 hours ago, DavisH said:

7M isn't out of the realms of possibility for a highly ranking officer if they also have a husband/wife with income. A C8 officer could be on 60K or more, and that would jump to 70K at C9 level.  A lot of people may think the money just rolls in. I wish it did! My wife puts in 16 hours a day officially and unofficially and often works weekends.....fortunately, once one gets a good reputation, a lot of extra, legitimate,  work comes up, and that boosts the salary more.

The main benefit I get is the health insurance for my son and myself.

What department does she work in where she has to work so much? Unless police, that is almost unheard of. She should change to another department within her field if she works that much. Although some people are workaholics by personal choice.  

Government officers in Thailand are famous for having a relatively relaxed work force. Hence why many Thai criticise them as they always see them outside running personal errands on tax payers money hours (we have all seen it also). 

But, yes, paid extra work comes naturally when someone is an official, as people trust you more. My wife is constantly getting paid lecture jobs to do with public health and also paid lecture jobs to do with English (lectures the police force for example). 

Edited by wildewillie89

3 hours ago, GuiseppeD said:

This thread isn't quite right.  Shouldn't the question be about whether you like the girl?  Or am I missing something?

My wife is a graduate but not from a rich family.  We're settled in the UK, married for seven years and my wife is a British citizen.  That she's a graduate doesn't matter either, we are suited. 

Of course, initially it is about whether you like someone (I didn't understand the benefits before deciding to move - as in my country government or non government have the same benefits).

However, discussing benefits will help you decide if your wife moves to your country or you to move Thailand. I certainly wouldn't have moved to Thailand if my wife was not an official, whether she was educated or not. Likewise, she would probably want to move somewhere that gave her free health if she wasn't already getting it here. 

However, many people do marry for languages other than love, like some people marry for money, some for prestige, some for looks, some for benefits etc.

Edited by wildewillie89

4 hours ago, GuiseppeD said:

Mate, i think you should pull your neck in!!!! This forum is full of dickheads like you .I have reasons why i ask this and it is got F**** a** to do with you.If you looking for a argument i suggest  you front up to a person face to face,instead of using a forum.

27 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Of course, initially it is about whether you like someone (I didn't understand the benefits before deciding to move - as in my country government or non government have the same benefits).

However, discussing benefits will help you decide if your wife moves to your country or you to move Thailand. I certainly wouldn't have moved to Thailand if my wife was not an official, whether she was educated or not. Likewise, she would probably want to move somewhere that gave her free health if she wasn't already getting it here. 

However, many people do marry for languages other than love, like some people marry for money, some for prestige, some for looks, some for benefits etc.

Don't waist you time on this idiot !!!

3 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

What department does she work in where she has to work so much? Unless police, that is almost unheard of. She should change to another department within her field if she works that much. Although some people are workaholics by personal choice.  

Government officers in Thailand are famous for having a relatively relaxed work force. Hence why many Thai criticise them as they always see them outside running personal errands on tax payers money hours (we have all seen it also). 

But, yes, paid extra work comes naturally when someone is an official, as people trust you more. My wife is constantly getting paid lecture jobs to do with public health and also paid lecture jobs to do with English (lectures the police force for example). 

She's a Nursing College Director. The problem is that she is away from the college a lot, and the paperwork builds up quickly. She has to sign off on everything, especially where finances are concerned. 16 hrs would be a maximum, but she is often in her office from 7.30am to about 8 or 8.30 pm. Regular staff mostly do normal hours but often work weekends / public holidays too. I asked my wife why you go to a meeting on a public holiday: "that's the only free time we can get", she says. 

Some figures for you....Although some workplaces probably differ slightly.

The law has been changed for the last decade now to a 400,000 baht maximum payout (plus pension). The formula for the payout is the retired salary x 15. However, it cant go above the maximum 400,000 baht (the maximum is what changed). Obviously many officials who pass the test late wont have the years experience or maybe dont move up, so salaries wont be that high so maybe will get 200,000 payout. Others like my wife should have got 612,000 but the law changed to a maximum of 400,000 baht. 

IF we are talking the big payouts (million baht) then that kind of uses a superannuation type fund as well. So each month a percentage will be taken out of your salary and you will get it in a big lump when you retire (i know the army do that, tessabans do not i dont think, Im not sure about other jobs like teachers, nurses etc). However, you can do private super type scenarios obviously anyway (my wife is set to receive 500,000 from her private fund), Most officials have some short term and long term funds going for injection of funds.

In terms of what the pension will be. The formula is last salary x years of experience divide by 50. So say my wife retires at 60 and her last salary is 60,000 (example).....it will be 60,0000x34/50....so her pension every month will be 40,800 baht until she dies. 

An added benefit is when the official dies, the children get money. That formula is retired salary x 30, So if we stay with only one child now and my wife's pension is 40,800 when she dies, our daughter will receive 1,224,000. However, you must subtract whatever your large sum was (400,000 in her case). So it will be 824,000 baht our daughter will receive. 

That is why the test is extremely hard to pass (many only pass it in their 30s after years of trying). Luckily my wife passed first go when she was 25 and doing her Masters whilst working as an employee to get some field knowledge before sitting the test. The government protect their own and protect their own families when they die. It seems the talk is now they are wanting to decrease the positions available now also as they want to keep the % of government officials vs population low....you can see why the private sector want to move over to the government sector after working a few years. As if they dont invest wisely they are in trouble later on in life. 

William

39 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

The law has been changed for the last decade now to a 400,000 baht maximum payout (plus pension). The formula for the payout is the retired salary x 15. However, it cant go above the maximum 400,000 baht (the maximum is what changed). Obviously many officials who pass the test late wont have the years experience or maybe dont move up, so salaries wont be that high so maybe will get 200,000 payout. Others like my wife should have got 612,000 but the law changed to a maximum of 400,000 baht. 

IF we are talking the big payouts (million baht) then that kind of uses a superannuation type fund as well. So each month a percentage will be taken out of your salary and you will get it in a big lump when you retire (i know the army do that, tessabans do not i dont think, Im not sure about other jobs like teachers, nurses etc). However, you can do private super type scenarios obviously anyway (my wife is set to receive 500,000 from her private fund), Most officials have some short term and long term funds going for injection of funds.

In terms of what the pension will be. The formula is last salary x years of experience divide by 50. So say my wife retires at 60 and her last salary is 60,000 (example).....it will be 60,0000x34/50....so her pension every month will be 40,800 baht until she dies. 

An added benefit is when the official dies, the children get money. That formula is retired salary x 30, So if we stay with only one child now and my wife's pension is 40,800 when she dies, our daughter will receive 1,224,000. However, you must subtract whatever your large sum was (400,000 in her case). So it will be 824,000 baht our daughter will receive. 

That is why the test is extremely hard to pass (many only pass it in their 30s after years of trying). Luckily my wife passed first go when she was 25 and doing her Masters whilst working as an employee to get some field knowledge before sitting the test. The government protect their own and protect their own families when they die. It seems the talk is now they are wanting to decrease the positions available now also as they want to keep the % of government officials vs population low....you can see why the private sector want to move over to the government sector after working a few years. As if they dont invest wisely they are in trouble later on in life. 

William

The 612,000 was if we used the lower example of her salary being about 60,000. Naturally, it will probably be different from that. Also as she worked in Yala for 1.5 years it converts to 3 years. So really 34 years will be 37 years of experience. Which will naturally change all of the above figures and make them slightly increase. So whatever the cut off is for the largest pension you can get (i am not sure), that is what working in Yala can get you (if the insurgents dont kill you first lol). 

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

William

William looking at your name are you from Africa?

9 hours ago, GuiseppeD said:

We are suited holy s..t not another like you.

So if a Thai gal considers the financial picture it is expected and your told your a stupid bloke if you don't know this.  But if a farang wants to consider these things the response is doesn't love come first?  One good point was made that health care coverage can make one country more attractive over the other.   Other threads berate guys who don't factor in health care in their retirement plans.   Look at what's happening in USA.  How do we predict the future costs?   It's sad no political will is attacking the industry to encourage less profit taking by big pharma and hospitals, insurance companies.   In USA hospitals are building mini med centers everywhere.  Look at all the rite aids and CVS pharmacies in every neighborhood.   Guy said pharmacy is 90% of the stores business.    I pay 6-7 k USD noway 56 for coverage.  What will it be in 20 years?   If I moved to Thailand and had health care semi covered via a wife hmmm.   Let's see 10 k/ est for 35 years. I plan to die at 92, broke,  naked in bed after a fun night.  That's 350 k saved.  That could easily equate to 5-8 years earlier retirement age feasibility.   Not important you say.     

I also thought to add that this caliper of woman can get a 10 yr 6 months tourist visa to USA. All by themselves. Means they can see your home country without much hassle or marriage, or fiancee visa. 

Edited by Elkski
They can get tourist visa.

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

So if a Thai gal considers the financial picture it is expected and your told your a stupid bloke if you don't know this.  But if a farang wants to consider these things the response is doesn't love come first?  One good point was made that health care coverage can make one country more attractive over the other.   Other threads berate guys who don't factor in health care in their retirement plans.   Look at what's happening in USA.  How do we predict the future costs?   It's sad no political will is attacking the industry to encourage less profit taking by big pharma and hospitals, insurance companies.   In USA hospitals are building mini med centers everywhere.  Look at all the rite aids and CVS pharmacies in every neighborhood.   Guy said pharmacy is 90% of the stores business.    I pay 6-7 k USD noway 56 for coverage.  What will it be in 20 years?   If I moved to Thailand and had health care semi covered via a wife hmmm.   Let's see 10 k/ est for 35 years. I plan to die at 92, broke,  naked in bed after a fun night.  That's 350 k saved.  That could easily equate to 5-8 years earlier retirement age feasibility.   Not important you say.     

I also thought to add that this caliper of woman can get a 10 yr 6 months tourist visa to USA. All by themselves. Means they can see your home country without much hassle or marriage, or fiancee visa. 

Good on you mate. So that is why i'm doing all these investigations to find out which way to go. I want to make sure that i'm covered if ever i settle in Thailand. If one run's away from your country because of your criminal doings then obviously you don't consider that at all.