Jump to content

Benefits marrying a Public Servant in Thailand


outofafrica

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I believe you get covered by her employment medical insurance.

 

She probably has a trim white uniform for those special occasions :tongue:

 

 

Yes, the white uniform is definitely one of the benefits of marrying a public servant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most public servants are on low wagers and are only there for there so called small pensions that they get at the end as long as they bend over and take it for there bosses for 30 years.

 

A lot not all have debts that they paid to get there positions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can confirm that marrying a Thai public  servant has its benefits.

My wife looks very sexy in her tight little white uniform.

Also as most members know, after my accident i am now a paraplegic.

Most of my treatment costs have been paid for by her employment medical insurance.

 

So yes marrying a public servant has benefits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously there is a difference between an official and an employee. The employee has the brown uniform without the shoulder pips or chest gear. The official has all that stuff. The official basically just passes a test that a shit load of people apply for and only a handful get in (depending on the field) - I think it is a 60% pass score needed (but also quota, so even if get the score you're waiting a long time before a position is available). Majority of people cannot pass 60%. Then there are obviously other stages, panel interviews, lab tests if in the science field for example etc.

Many benefits. Apart from the obvious free health care for you and your children (imported treatment, gp clinics at hospitals, hospital admission, surgery etc), you will also get cheaper homeloans (the way the Mrs home loan is worked out the government will pay for 30% of the house as they pay her rent each month until the homeloan is paid off), special treatment from police (every time they stop you a flash of the government official card will let you go), a big payout when retire, and a decent pension depending on what level they achieved in their jobs. I think from memory it goes from level 3-11. A Director or boss of Region or Provincial etc I think is level 9, Governor level 10, Ministry 11. Within each level their are many salary levels. My wife is level 6 at age 29, so she's set for a decent pension. 

 

The biggest benefit for me is life is easy. Whether getting a drivers license, immigration, whatever, officials help other officials out. Where as everyone else is just nothing. It is sad in terms of the way society is, but helpful. You will NEVER have to pay anyone anything.

 

Free education until finish bachelor degree for your children and half price private education. 

 

My Mrs spent a year working in Yala, the benefits increase even more there. She is level 6 before she is 30 years old partly due to that. Had massive life insurance policies naturally. So she is set for a reasonable pension and payout when she retires. 

 

The government people who i know have retired already got a pay out of about a million baht, and a monthly pension of 35,000 until they die. But all that is dependent on how high they get in their jobs. Pension is a percentage of your final salary. So if you're a traffic cop your whole life your pension will be stuff all, but if you move up it is another matter. 

 

Also, early retirement is possible. You must work for 25 years. So if you pass the test early you can retire at 47 at the youngest, but most people wait until later as your salary increases so your pension will also. 

Edited by wildewillie89
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The above post highlights one of the main things wrong with this country and why it lags behind others whilst trying to move forward. Think USSR, Eastern block countries pre 90's, even Britain and the Commonwealth pre WW II.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

The above post highlights one of the main things wrong with this country and why it lags behind others whilst trying to move forward. Think USSR, Eastern block countries pre 90's, even Britain and the Commonwealth pre WW II.

Although a beneficiary of this, I completely agree. But being only 26 when I decided to make the decision to move to Thailand, her job was the defining factor of whether I moved here or my wife moved to Australia. If she had of had a non-government job, she almost certainly would have moved to Australia (which her family wouldn't have been happy with at all). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife (45) was a former public servant and there are legacy rules regarding spouses being covered for government health insurance.

 

I am now registered and have a 13 digit number on the national database, the process took about 4 months.

 

I am required to register at the hospital I wish to attend, however mutiple registrations are permitted, so I am now on the books at Siriraj in Bangkok, the public hospital on Soi Buakhow in Pattaya and 3 hospitals in Ubon where we live most of the time, hopefully that'll cover most of the bases !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

My wife (45) was a former public servant and there are legacy rules regarding spouses being covered for government health insurance.

 

I am now registered and have a 13 digit number on the national database, the process took about 4 months.

 

I am required to register at the hospital I wish to attend, however mutiple registrations are permitted, so I am now on the books at Siriraj in Bangkok, the public hospital on Soi Buakhow in Pattaya and 3 hospitals in Ubon where we live most of the time, hopefully that'll cover most of the bases !

 

That is interesting. I automatically received my 13 digit number the day we got our wedding certificate....however, other couples we know in our city and other cities are unable to get their ID number so must pay first and refund later, rather than be in the finger scanner system in each hospital you attend. I have found some hospitals know the rules, others do not. So my name will come up and I just need to show my license, where others will refuse to accept it until they ring someone who knows. Their workplaces also dont know how to obtain the ID number.

Edited by wildewillie89
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

Obviously there is a difference between an official and an employee. The employee has the brown uniform without the shoulder pips or chest gear. The official has all that stuff. The official basically just passes a test that a shit load of people apply for and only a handful get in (depending on the field) - I think it is a 60% pass score needed (but also quota, so even if get the score you're waiting a long time before a position is available). Majority of people cannot pass 60%. Then there are obviously other stages, panel interviews, lab tests if in the science field for example etc.

Many benefits. Apart from the obvious free health care for you and your children (imported treatment, gp clinics at hospitals, hospital admission, surgery etc), you will also get cheaper homeloans (the way the Mrs home loan is worked out the government will pay for 30% of the house as they pay her rent each month until the homeloan is paid off), special treatment from police (every time they stop you a flash of the government official card will let you go), a big payout when retire, and a decent pension depending on what level they achieved in their jobs. I think from memory it goes from level 3-11. A Director or boss of Region or Provincial etc I think is level 9, Governor level 10, Ministry 11. Within each level their are many salary levels. My wife is level 6 at age 29, so she's set for a decent pension. 

 

The biggest benefit for me is life is easy. Whether getting a drivers license, immigration, whatever, officials help other officials out. Where as everyone else is just nothing. It is sad in terms of the way society is, but helpful. You will NEVER have to pay anyone anything.

 

Free education until finish bachelor degree for your children and half price private education. 

 

My Mrs spent a year working in Yala, the benefits increase even more there. She is level 6 before she is 30 years old partly due to that. Had massive life insurance policies naturally. So she is set for a reasonable pension and payout when she retires. 

 

The government people who i know have retired already got a pay out of about a million baht, and a monthly pension of 35,000 until they die. But all that is dependent on how high they get in their jobs. Pension is a percentage of your final salary. So if you're a traffic cop your whole life your pension will be stuff all, but if you move up it is another matter. 

 

Also, early retirement is possible. You must work for 25 years. So if you pass the test early you can retire at 47 at the youngest, but most people wait until later as your salary increases so your pension will also. 

 

Most of your comments are correct, except about drivers license, immigration.

As i have posted before, just because she is a senior government official, we have had some problems with immigration, also when i went for my 5 year license, it was only granted after i contacted 1111 government help line, boss of the license office refused to give me a 5 year license because in his words !!you farang cannot get 5 year only 1 year.

Before anybody comments about my drivers license, i applied for it before my accident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Most of your comments are correct, except about drivers license, immigration.

As i have posted before, just because she is a senior government official, we have had some problems with immigration, also when i went for my 5 year license, it was only granted after i contacted 1111 government help line, boss of the license office refused to give me a 5 year license because in his words !!you farang cannot get 5 year only 1 year.

Before anybody comments about my drivers license, i applied for it before my accident.

Unlucky, helped with us...did the registration for the 13 number take place at the District Office? We were the first in our cities hospital to be in the system, but our close friends go there and get denied by exactly the same staff member who registered us (as they dont have the 13 ID number). We obviously don't know how to get it as we got it automatically (we assume from the District Office), but would be handy to know to tell them. As our name is dragged through the mud all the time, 'why can they do it but we cant bla bla'. When we went to the big hospital in Khon Kaen (i had to be admitted for a rare disease diagnosis), they were also under the impression we were not allowed that right, but naturally after the phone call we were accepted (as i have the 13 number). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Unlucky, helped with us...did the registration for the 13 number take place at the District Office? We were the first in our cities hospital to be in the system, but our close friends go there and get denied by exactly the same staff member who registered us (as they dont have the 13 ID number). We obviously don't know how to get it as we got it automatically (we assume from the District Office), but would be handy to know to tell them. As our name is dragged through the mud all the time, 'why can they do it but we cant bla bla'. When we went to the big hospital in Khon Kaen (i had to be admitted for a rare disease diagnosis), they were also under the impression we were not allowed that right, but naturally after the phone call we were accepted (as i have the 13 number). 

 
 

 Yes you mentioned KK hospital, well i was taken there after my accident.

No problem being a farang, i was treated, 6 operations, 7 months in there all paid for on the wifes insurance.

Only thing we had to pay was anything over 1000 baht per day we had to pay, so it cost us 400 baht per day for a private room.

Edited by colinneil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

 Yes you mentioned KK hospital, well i was taken there after my accident.

No problem being a farang, i was treated, 6 operations, 7 months in there all paid for on the wifes insurance.

Only thing we had to pay was anything over 1000 baht per day we had to pay, so it cost us 400 baht per day for a private room.

 

Sorry to hear about your ordeal....I am there on a weekly basis (have been for the last couple of months) at the moment and they reckon I have had every test in Thailand (which i naturally havent had to pay for), they initially diagnosed a tick disease, then thought cancer when i didnt respond to treatment and now thinking either Adult Onset Still Disease (more likely) or an auto-immune disease (less likely) as that's all that is left once the others are excluded (so seeing the Rheumatologist). I just had to pay for the 'farang' menu option when i was admitted, which my city hospital doesn't provide lol. Specialists there actually acknowledge Lyme Disease is in Thailand for all those people who still believe it is not (due to their being no 'official documented' cases). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

... just to support what has been mentioned before regarding medical coverage as one of the more tangible benefits.  However, your will know how to deal with the other government officers.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"I am required to register at the hospital I wish to attend, however mutiple registrations are permitted,..."

 

Everyone using a hospital is registered.  When you return to that hospital, your registration number tells them where to find your file.

In theory, you could register at every hospital in Thailand.

 

 

"If you have a Thai wife and her son is in the Thai Army, you can get Government treatment in a Government hospital"

 

Since anyone can get treatment in a government hospital, I assume you mean 'free' treatment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, whiteman said:

Most public servants are on low wagers and are only there for there so called small pensions that they get at the end as long as they bend over and take it for there bosses for 30 years.

 

A lot not all have debts that they paid to get there positions.

Lets be fair there are people all over the world ( usually women due to the appalling prejudice of men ) that could be accused of the same thing.

Do you believe trump's current wife is with him for his looks, hairstyle or libido?

The schoolboy sexism is a bit much but you're not robinson crusoe in that regard

It's their not there. You got it right once so fair play to you.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, whiteman said:

Most public servants are on low wagers and are only there for there so called small pensions that they get at the end as long as they bend over and take it for there bosses for 30 years.

 

A lot not all have debts that they paid to get there positions.

Thanks for all the positive inputs as for you Whiteman ,i think you should go back where you came from and ask them for a refund on your education bill!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, whiteman said:

Most public servants are on low wagers and are only there for there so called small pensions that they get at the end as long as they bend over and take it for there bosses for 30 years.

 

A lot not all have debts that they paid to get there positions.

 

Actually, Thai law gives a government pension of mediocre 1% of final salary for every year worked under proper full time employment contract government worker or not!

 

Just saying! Makes it pretty sad when most don't work under an employment contract. 

 

(apologies - off topic!) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, TerryLH said:

Not all government employees have health insurance that covers their families.

For those that do, the health benefit is great.

 

My friend is married to a school teacher and he gets a yellow card, he can go to public hospitals on the 30 BHT programme.

I don't know of other benefits as I have never asked him but I will ask him again today and will post for you if I have time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.







×
×
  • Create New...