Best way to exchange Thai Baht to USD?

I sold a motorbike for cash and I have about 60,000 baht in cash. I figured it would be best to exchange the money into dollars in Thailand and not when I go back to the States. However, I am unsure which method/place is best to make this transaction. If you have experience, please advise. Thank you.

26 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

Just wondering...

What if you wanted to exchange B500,000 or more?

I would assume they cannot do that on the spot.

Good question if your leaving the country could be a problem as you must declare it. Also the availability of greenbacks 

41 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

Just wondering...

Superrich would probably not have an issue with that "small" amount.

Q: How much is the minimum and maximum per transaction/passport/day?
A:
  • No minimum
  • Maximum 800,000 THB for exchange THB to foreign currencies
  • No maximum for exchange foreign currencies to THB

Your local BBL would have to order, takes maybe a week, IME.

For the OP, compare BBL and Superrich.

Today you would gain an extra USD 14 or THB 490 by using Superrich. Which probably does not make it worthwhile.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

58 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

Just wondering...

I bring  3 or 400,000 and they never baht an eye

FYI, the SuperRich in the airport basement level is a bit hard to find. It is actually set back at the entryway for the Airport Rail Link, left side, pretty far in.  There are several exchange kiosks there besides SuperRich.  For that large a sum, worth it to check all the rates.

To the OP : you should mention where you live and whether you want to change immediately or will be in Bangkok for that.

Some of the mentioned changers will only be in Bangkok city or at the airport as described.

60000 Baht, about 1800 USD is "peanuts" for the big changers and not worth any headache about declaration or the like.

But still have your passport with you.

If you are  in Sukhumvit area, there are a couple of money changers that are as good or almost as good as superich.I often use the one on Soi 24, next to the Emporium.He always has  a bundle of US $ ,certainly enough to accommodate 50000,maybe not 500000 Baht.

A word of advice - if you have not already exchanged your Thai baht into USD then, when you do, do NOT buy $50 or $100 bills. Buy all $10 and $20. They are cheaper to buy here but worth the same in the states so you will get a little more $ for your baht. :thumbsup:

When you come back, do just the opposite. Bring all $100 bills with you and you'll get more baht than you would for the same amount in $10 and $20.

I just went on the Super Rich site and the Bangkok Bank site

BB-

33.63 baht for each US$ (Buying rate)

34.98 baht as a selling rate.

SR-

34.70 baht as a buying rate for US$

34.73 baht as a selling rate for US$

Am I misunderstanding, or does BB have better rates. (At least for today)??

3 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

I just went on the Super Rich site and the Bangkok Bank site

BB-

33.63 baht for each US$ (Buying rate)

34.98 baht as a selling rate.

SR-

34.70 baht as a buying rate for US$

34.73 baht as a selling rate for US$

Am I misunderstanding, or does BB have better rates. (At least for today)??

No, SR does.  BB give you THB33.63 for each 1USD, SR gives you THB34.70.  BB charges THB34.98 for each 1USD, SR charges you THB34.73

On 10/05/2017 at 3:20 AM, mrwebb8825 said:

A word of advice - if you have not already exchanged your Thai baht into USD then, when you do, do NOT buy $50 or $100 bills. Buy all $10 and $20. They are cheaper to buy here but worth the same in the states so you will get a little more $ for your baht. :thumbsup:

When you come back, do just the opposite. Bring all $100 bills with you and you'll get more baht than you would for the same amount in $10 and $20.

very good point that re smaller bills on the reverse exchange

On 5/10/2017 at 9:20 AM, mrwebb8825 said:

Another good reason to get smaller denomination bills is there are a lot of counterfeit $100's around Asia and banks are far more careful taking them in than they are handing them out.

Not just US $'s,  sometimes I'll go to a Bangkok Bank ATM and withdraw 20,000 Thai Baht, then walk to the deposit ATM nearby and deposit the 20,000 into my Thai account.  Not unusual for the deposit ATM to reject three or four of the 1000 B notes I just got from their own ATM.

Annoying, to say the least. 

Last year I returned to Bangkok from the US with about $800 in $20 bills.  It was really difficult to get them changed into Baht.  Several banks (Kasikorn, SCB, Tanachart) refused outright.  Bangkok Bank scrutinized every bill and rejected almost half of them.  Finally exchanged the balance at Vasu Currency Exchange,  under the Nana BTS.

Even $20's and $10's need to be crisp and new with no folds.

Edited by dddave

1 hour ago, charliebadenhop said:

"BB give you THB33.63 for each 1USD, SR gives you THB34.70."

Wow, that is a lot of extra money if you are changing something like $20,000!!

SuperRich consistently has always given me the best bang for the buck. The banks are always going to try and rip you off.