Suggestions for new Visa Run locations - Maldives?

Hey all  at the end of the month I'll be doing my next visa run, and for the last  year or so I've been trying to go to a new country each time so that I can write a review and see someplace new. 

I was looking at the One World map and noticed that they fly to the Maldives.   I googled, and sure enough there's a Thai Consulate there that  issues visas.   Has anyone ever been there for a visa or for travel?   If so, would you classify this consulate as friendly or not?  

I should book my flight soon soon so I'd like to hear people's experiences and or suggestions. 

So far I've been to: 

- Taiwan  (not recommended - for Thai visas... It's an awesome country otherwise)

- Hong Kong  (Recommended)

- South Korea (Recommended)

- Vientaine (So-So)

I've been considering Bali but I hear there's a long wait time for visas.  I'm also open to other suggestions, but I'm not really interested in going to Myanmar or Vietnam.   I prefer destinations in Asia that are easy to get to via One World Alliance flights. 

Maldives is nice, if you're not put off by Muslim countries--Burqa (not Bikini)Beaches, just like southern Thailand! It's not dirt cheap, but not outrageous, either. City is very walkable. I wouldn't expect to party, but plenty of good coffee, AFAIK...

I just tried to email the consulate to see if they have rules like the Taiwan office about not issuing visas if you've left Thailand within 30 days  but the email was returned to me saying that it wasn't a valid email address.  : /   

I'm interested in going there, but I don't want to make the trip if I'm just going to get denied a visa. 

33 minutes ago, Hardie said:

Maldives is nice, if you're not put off by Muslim countries--Burqa (not Bikini)Beaches, just like southern Thailand! It's not dirt cheap, but not outrageous, either. City is very walkable. I wouldn't expect to party, but plenty of good coffee, AFAIK...

" Burqa (not Bikini)Beaches "

Who's gonna police that ? :giggle:there are 1200 islands some of which are very small 

I went there 20 years ago when this island Haliveli had just a few huts (four hours out to sea by boat from the main island) and you could walk right around it in 15 minutes. I'm sure even today there must be a few islands left that haven't been over developed.

hal.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pjthefey said:

I just tried to email the consulate to see if they have rules like the Taiwan office about not issuing visas if you've left Thailand within 30 days  but the email was returned to me saying that it wasn't a valid email address.  : /   

I'm interested in going there, but I don't want to make the trip if I'm just going to get denied a visa. 

No mention of any restriction on getting the visa if you have just left here is shown on their website. http://www.thaiconsulate.com.mv/visa_application.php

Since it is a honorary consulate I suspect it will be easy to get a visa there.

• Like 1

Agree, Maldives is made up of a huge number of islands. Even the main airport is on a separate island to the main city, Male. Sure it is a Muslim country (so no dogs) but it's also all about tourism, so most places are welcoming. Male is just a grim boring place but the island resorts are (usually) out of this world & 5 star all-inclusive luxury.
Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

No mention of any restriction on getting the visa if you have just left here is shown on their website. http://www.thaiconsulate.com.mv/visa_application.php

Since it is a honorary consulate I suspect it will be easy to get a visa there.

That's my hope and gut feeling,   but after the disaster visa run in Taiwan where I waited in line 3 hours only to be told of their unofficial "No visa if you've been to Thailand within 30 days" policy  I'm more cautious.   Taiwan didn't say anything about it on the website either.   

My hope is that  since it's not a very common destination for visa runners it'll be laid back like people say  SAvannahkhet  is  (I've never been there, but I hear good things).

3 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

I can't offer much advice but I think maldives would be about the most exotic visa run location anyone has ever posted about on Thaivisa!

Certainly beats Savanakhet!

The (Honorary) Consul in the Seychelles would be better perhaps.

4 minutes ago, Hardie said:

I've been to the capital, don't know anything about the luxury beaches. I assume the consulate is in the city...

Looks like it is within walking distance of Sommerset Inn so I'd probably say there for the sake of convenience.  

I was in the thai embassy in Singapore once and I overheard the counter staff telling someone that they had to apply at the thai embassy of their country….here cannot.

If thats the rule, flying to Maldives would be an expensive way to find out.

7 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

I was in the thai embassy in Singapore once and I overheard the counter staff telling someone that they had to apply at the thai embassy of their country….here cannot.

If thats the rule, flying to Maldives would be an expensive way to find out.

The Singapore office is notoriously unfriendly.   Apparently they only give visas to people that have never had one before.   Taiwan wasn't much better,   but every other country I've tried so far has been friendly enough.  I've gotten visas in Laos, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, and South Korea with no problems at all.

As for the cost, it's all the same to me because I'm using award tickets.   Really the only thing that a failed visa run would cost me is time and the cost of staying in a hotel. 

Edited by pjthefey

50 minutes ago, pjthefey said:

The Singapore office is notoriously unfriendly.   Apparently they only give visas to people that have never had one before.   Taiwan wasn't much better,   but every other country I've tried so far has been friendly enough.  I've gotten visas in Laos, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, and South Korea with no problems at all.

As for the cost, it's all the same to me because I'm using award tickets.   Really the only thing that a failed visa run would cost me is time and the cost of staying in a hotel. 

Auckland is OK but 3 day turn around. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hardie said:

I hope that in a resort it's possible to avoid any muslim not opened to tourists wearing thongs to sunbath ?

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Assuming you've ever been there, you must have gone to the wrong beach.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2084186/Tulisa-Fazer-enjoy-romantic-Maldives-holiday-1000-night-resort.html

Yes the resort beaches are ok for bikinis. I had a friend that managed a resort it's two different worlds one inside the resort one outside the resort.

i go to the Maldives on holiday 2 or 3 times a year off there tomorrow as it happens velassaru resort, never done it for a visa but a great place to relax and chill very expensive stunning beaches and resorts but only do the 5 stars places or you end up with a lot of kids and tour groups.:cool:

Edited by catman20

1 hour ago, abab said:

1 week maldives from Thailand, what is the easiest flight and how much does it cost ? Thanks.

i think 1 week maybe to long as 1, its expencive and 2 only small islands you can walk around in 40 minutes 5 days is about right i think. suvarnaabhumi to Male 4 hour flight direct.

20,000 baht per person flight and you can spend as little as 40/50,000 baht or as much as 200/300,000 baht go 5 star or you will end up with lots of kids and tour groups.PM me if you want more info

5 hours ago, Hardie said:

Ive been there many times with my g/fs and never a problem with bikinis or g/string bikinis:cool:

Male is interesting really, just no drinking which isn't the worst thing in the world.. I stayed at the Hotel Jen Male a few weeks last year on a project. People were great, food was amazing and I really enjoyed the experience.

More interesting was the Sheraton Full Moon resort just 30 minutes by boat from Male. I spent a week there last year with my wife. We both loved it. You could stay there and commute to Male for the visa. The hotel manager will work with you on the speedboat price, the base price is expensive (70USD/person each way). 

Easiest way to get there is Bangkok Airways, it is about 10k baht r/t direct. The flight arrives mid day so the view is fantastic. I went on Thai Airways/Singapore which is much longer and lands at night, but it was a points thing for me.

• Like 1