Suggestions for new Visa Run locations - Maldives?

10 hours ago, ouagadougou said:

Ramadan starts around May 26 / 27 this year.

It will likely have considerable effects on daily activities outside resorts.  No idea what days the Thai Consulate may be shut down.

That's good information for me to have.    Probably best not to risk it since consulates tend to close on holidays for the country they are located in.   That said,  I go somewhere every three months so it's still an idea for the future. 

On 07/05/2017 at 3:06 PM, catman20 said:

i think 1 week maybe to long as 1, its expencive and 2 only small islands you can walk around in 40 minutes 5 days is about right i think. suvarnaabhumi to Male 4 hour flight direct.

20,000 baht per person flight and you can spend as little as 40/50,000 baht or as much as 200/300,000 baht go 5 star or you will end up with lots of kids and tour groups.PM me if you want more info

Could you mention names of recommended hotels?

Of course there are thousands on TA, but it's pointless (and difficult to filter) to read reviews of folks who went on "trip of a lifetime" ... they tend to love even shitty places

3 hours ago, 11223344 said:

Could you mention names of recommended hotels?

Of course there are thousands on TA, but it's pointless (and difficult to filter) to read reviews of folks who went on "trip of a lifetime" ... they tend to love even shitty places

Velassaru , Kurumba, Baros I prefer kurumba and been back there many Times. 

On 2017-5-7 at 10:47 PM, Geordie59 said:

Male is a shit hole and I assume that is where the embassy is.
Loads of other islands/resorts you can visit but they are often not too friendly unless you are staying there. 
The Muslim thing doesn't appeal to me either. Alcohol is strictly controlled and expensive.

Alcohol is not restricted on the island's, drink as much as you want, or that you can afford to drink.

• Like 2

On 2017-5-8 at 10:22 AM, smccolley said:

Male is interesting really, just no drinking which isn't the worst thing in the world.. I stayed at the Hotel Jen Male a few weeks last year on a project. People were great, food was amazing and I really enjoyed the experience.

More interesting was the Sheraton Full Moon resort just 30 minutes by boat from Male. I spent a week there last year with my wife. We both loved it. You could stay there and commute to Male for the visa. The hotel manager will work with you on the speedboat price, the base price is expensive (70USD/person each way). 

Easiest way to get there is Bangkok Airways, it is about 10k baht r/t direct. The flight arrives mid day so the view is fantastic. I went on Thai Airways/Singapore which is much longer and lands at night, but it was a points thing for me.

Think you got the air flight price a bit wrong normal price is 20,000baht up

10 minutes ago, catman20 said:

SriLankan Air have return flights around the 10k mark this month but a seven hour layover.

Bangkok Air, direct flights for around 15k.

Singapore & Emirates, 20k+

1 hour ago, kkerry said:

SriLankan Air have return flights around the 10k mark this month but a seven hour layover.

Bangkok Air, direct flights for around 15k.

Singapore & Emirates, 20k+

Ok thx I just check  out bkk air direct 20,000

1494400986507.jpg

Edited by catman20

I entered some dates for late May in to saveflights.com (good online local agency) earlier and Bangkok Air were 14.5k

Could of course vary depending upon the exact dates.

I haven't booked on Bangkok Air recently but I've found many times before that booking with an agency can get you a better price than with an airline direct.

5 minutes ago, kkerry said:

I entered some dates for late May in to saveflights.com (good online local agency) earlier and Bangkok Air were 14.5k

Could of course vary depending upon the exact dates.

I haven't booked on Bangkok Air recently but I've found many times before that booking with an agency can get you a better price than with an airline direct.

Ok thx I'll try that.

10 minutes ago, kkerry said:

My bad. Sri Lankan is 15k.

Bangkok Air I didn't include the tax so your quote is correct.

:sorry:

Yes I just looked the site u mentioned and still came out about 20,000 but thx anyway for your time.

22 hours ago, catman20 said:

Yeah, I did. My wife has priced it at 19k baht r/t per person. I must have been thinking about how much the two of us spent per day to eat at the resort :)

• Like 2

On 09/05/2017 at 9:12 AM, catman20 said:

Alcohol is not restricted on the island's, drink as much as you want, or that you can afford to drink.

I didn't say it was restricted but it is controlled. There is only 1 guy who has a licence to import alcohol and he keeps the prices high.
Another control was that when leaving on a sailing yacht we were only allowed to take out 2 bottles of spirits with us despite having 4 adults on board. Not really a lot when our next stop was Phuket.

On 11/05/2017 at 10:41 AM, smccolley said:

Yeah, I did. My wife has priced it at 19k baht r/t per person. I must have been thinking about how much the two of us spent per day to eat at the resort :)

For a cheaper flight and if convenient Air Asia fly to Male from KL.

5 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

I didn't say it was restricted but it is controlled. There is only 1 guy who has a licence to import alcohol and he keeps the prices high.
Another control was that when leaving on a sailing yacht we were only allowed to take out 2 bottles of spirits with us despite having 4 adults on board. Not really a lot when our next stop was Phuket.

i go on holiday to the Maldives 3 or 4 times a year alcohol is NOT RESTRICTED OR CONTROLLED ON THE ISLANDS. 

9 hours ago, catman20 said:

i go on holiday to the Maldives 3 or 4 times a year alcohol is NOT RESTRICTED OR CONTROLLED ON THE ISLANDS. 

Yes but you cant bring it into the country, so it is effectively controlled.  You can buy the overpriced stuff on the islands from the hotels to your heart's content.

8 hours ago, tazly said:

Yes but you cant bring it into the country, so it is effectively controlled.  You can buy the overpriced stuff on the islands from the hotels to your heart's content.

if you have to buy your own alcohol to take with you to save a few bob i dont think the Maldives is for you.:sorry:

• Like 2