Rhubarb

Randell

Has anyone come accross any rhubarb especially the type called strawberry  rhubarb? to buy to eat or to plant . I would love to have a small bunch in my garden. I am sure the children would love it just like I did as a kid in  Saskatoon Saskatchewan.

Randell

Fresh rhubarb needs cool and mostly wet weather. The royally sponsored farms up north of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai grow it in the cool season and it is frequently available through their retail farm shops nationwide from December through February. Probably out of luck by now.

Edited by NanLaew

I have tried to grow it in my garden from seeds and from corms brought from

UK, but it just died off, I have been buying some from Doi Kham,the last lot

was very thin,they grow it up in the hills, where its a lot cooler than down

in Chiang Mai, i make Rhubarb and Ginger jam with it.

regards worgeordie

Forcing rhubarb ... in dark sheds?  I never forced my rhubarb to do anything.  I'd rather have happy free-range rhubarb, not something forced in a shed.  :)

I had a row or two in an old garden at my former home in New Jersey (USA). It was in good soil in the northwest part of the state at about 830 feet elevation. It grew like crazy.  Unfortunately, so did my one acre lawn.

Edited by Damrongsak

10 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Forcing rhubarb ... in dark sheds?  I never forced my rhubarb to do anything.  I'd rather have happy free-range rhubarb, not something forced in a shed.  :)

I had a row or two in an old garden at my former home in New Jersey (USA). It was in good soil in the northwest part of the state at about 830 feet elevation. It grew like crazy.  Unfortunately, so did my one acre lawn.

Forcing rhubarb,gives more tender stems,and pinkish colour,called Champagne rhubarb, 

used to pass the rhubarb sheds,on my way North to Newcastle.gardeners used to use old

buckets with the bottoms knocked out,when horses used to be on the roads,you could see

avid gardeners out and about with bucket and spade looking for horse shit for the rhubarb,

and their roses.

regards worgeordie