Whats That Stuff?

tolsti

In the Arab area on Sukhumvit soi 3 (ish) there are many Arab shops. Many appear to be travel bucket shops but quite a few seem to sell oils (perfume?) and pieces of old dead wood. Any idea as to what it is and why Bangkok should have so many shops selling this??

Thanks Guardian.... no, it's not those twigs.. I've seen those in the African areas of Paris and in health food shops... the one I'm referring to really look like pieces of driftwood.. but with a coarse grain rather than smooted bu the waves. Plus they look really old... like the petrified wood I knew as a kid in Zambia. It must be special or the shops wouldn't be selling it.

I'd hazard a guess and say it's sandlewood and other aromatic wood they burn as incense. Some woods command a very high price.

You may find frankensense and murr being sold as well. The burners are normally 4 sided and elaborately decorated about 20cm high.

Small chips of wood are toasted until they turn into glowing embers. The resulting smoke acts the same as incense sticks and also used to make the clothing smell nice.

it's actually agarwood mostly, maybe some sandalwood. Arabs burn the agarwod for it's aroma. Good quality agarwood retails for upwards of 20,000Bt a kilo. The jars are agarwood oil. Can also be burned or put on the body as perfume. Top quality oil sells for more than USD30,000 a litre. Both the wood chips and the distilled oil comes from the tree species Aquilaria, which is a native here in Thailand and elsewhere in SE Asia. Locally known as krissana or kritsana. The tree is a protected species but there are people growing them in plantations.

Edited by sibeymai