No irregularities found with submarine deal: Auditor-General

snoop1130

No irregularities found with submarine deal: Auditor-General

By The Nation

No irregularities had been found so far in the deal to purchase a submarine from China, Auditor-General Pisit Leelavachiropas said on Tuesday.

He was giving an update on the progress of its investigation into the deal proposed by the Royal Thai Navy.

The Navy, he said, had studied and compared specifications and quality of submarines from various countries before deciding to buy the vessel from China.

Navy bosses proposed to purchase three Yuan-class S26T submarines from China before the Cabinet approved the purchase of one submarine worth Bt13.5 billion.

The deal was inked last Friday amid speculation over its worthiness and necessity. The Auditor-General’s office has stepped in to see whether the submarine justifies the state budget.

Pisit said initially the set budget of Bt36 billion for all three submarines was acceptable because it is was managed in a long-binding manner, thus not exceeding the Navy’s normal budget. Each instalment would cost around Bt700 million to Bt2 billion.

He said the government-to-government deal is positive to Thailand as it helps guarantee that the Chinese government would be responsible if any flaws were found on the submarines. Pisit added that such a deal should not violate the new charter’s prohibition of any international agreements deemed to affect sovereignty.

The Auditor-General’s office, he said, would continue investigating the deal signed and the budget allocation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30314725

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-5-9

"He said the government-to-government deal is positive to Thailand as it helps guarantee that the Chinese government would be responsible if any flaws were found on the submarines."

Except that it was not a Chinese government representative who signed the contract  (nor a Thai government representative, by the way). So none of the governments from the two countries involved can be held responsible in case of problem. :coffee1:

7 hours ago, alien365 said:

I'm glad to hear it; that's put my mind at ease...

Me too,I cannot understand why the other members here cannot come to the same conclusion.....................:cheesy:

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Apart from being necessary, that is...

I would like to know just exactly what this submarine is going to do, apart from looking spic and span on photo opportunities.

Spic and span on day one maybe, but if it follows the pattern of everything else new over here, it will be a rust-bucket in a couple of years.