Should I try to get my baby an oz passport?

Ive lived in the LOS for over 5 yrs now and married with a little one running around the house. Life is good here and I have no desire to ever live in oz. In fact I still haven't taken the wife and baby there for a holiday yet to the mother country.

The question is should I apply and get my baby an oz passport? Is there any point to it? If you have recently done it for your child what is involved exactly re the documents?

The wife and I did the village wedding and I didn't get around to registering at the amphur office. Does this matter if I do want to get the oz PP for my little one?

What about for the wife? Whats your opinion on getting her residency / passport etc. If we are not planning to ever live there one would think its a waste of time. Years ago I was cautious about ever doing the residency thing for the wife so as to protect my assets. But now I've sold my house and I'm not so worried about that anymore.

I appreciate any opinions on this matter

thanks

I agree with the above members as well, giving your child an Australian passport will probably be one of the best things you could do for them as it provides options should they wish to use it. I have 2 kids and each one had an Australian passport within 6 months and I went through the renewal process for one last year. I basically saw it as getting them into the 'system' so that, if one day I'm no longer around, it will be far easier to get a new passport once it expires rather than applying for one first time around without me being around. The process isn't hard, but it does require a little running around to get everything to support the application including certified translations of thai documents. The best tip I can give you is to use the translation/photo services near the embassy as they know 100% what is acceptable. Also, get multiple copies of any translations for future renewal applications. I don't believe a marriage certificate is required as the eligibility is based on descent of the child. Both you and your wife should (read must) be present at the embassy and do it now before the embassy moves location. You can go online and get a copy of the application to see what you need. Get someone at the school to say they know the child and its been my experience the embassy does ring to check. 

• Like 1

Two points, not sure how it exactly applies to OZ though as I only have experience with my own kids who will have Dutch nationality:

1. you can get your kid a passport at any time in the future. Normally there is no hurry to do it as soon as possible. You can have its birth registered 10 years from now and he will get a passport (plus all the benefits) just as easily.

2. if you want to visit your home country with the kid you might NEED a passport for him. I planned on getting my kids a Dutch passport in the Netherland on a trip there and get them a Schengen visa first to enter the Schengen area. That was not possible as they have a right to Dutch citizenship and therefore will never be able to get a Schengen visa. No Dutch passport, no entrance.

For your wife to get a passport she must live in Australia for some time as a permanent resident. After that she has to apply for citizenship and if granted can then apply for a passport. It takes time and you must be residing in Australia

• Like 2

Get the OZ passport so your kid can travel the world without needing to worry about applying for visas. Its still a little hard for Thais to get visas if they don't have the correct qualifications such as own business, etc. So in the long run, you will save on visa fees and headaches.

• Like 1

I hate to state the obvious but as you have asked , absolutely you should get the Oz passport. Why restrict your child for all of its life to a Thai passport that basically restricts travel to some but not all Asian countries. Sorry to be rather cutting, but this is a no brainier mate. 

• Like 1

What nationality is your child listed on the birth certificate? I am Australian who had baby with Myanmar lady. We are not married and she has no passport or ID so birth certificate lists baby as "No Nationality" so would probably never be able to get passport.

I contacted the Australian Embassy and was given information. I downloaded Form 118 which allows me to get Australian Citizenship for the baby by way of descent. After he is made an Australian Citizen then I can get his passport. Was highly recommended to me to do by Thai lawyer because he really is regarded as nothing in Thailand.

• Like 1

Don't waste your time and money. If you don't have plans to travel that may need a passport there is no point.

However, it is imperative that you register the birth with the Australian Embassy so that your child has Australian citizenship. The passport can be obtained any time thereafter if needed and residence can be taken up at any time.

Howard

• Like 1

You must do it.  The opportunities in life here, unless you are wealthy, are limited.  Your child needs an opportunity to make a  decent life.  It most likely won't happen in Thailand.  The foreign citizenship is a passport to an opportunity for a better life.

As Howard stated above, register the child for citizenship (by descent) as soon as possible. Check the website for details. A citizen can subsequently apply for a passport at any time when needed.

Unless, as some posters have suggested, your baby has plans to jet off around the world, getting a passport now may be a waste of money. 

For your wife, Australian residency, and eventually citizenship, is a drawn-out and costly process. You don't have to be legally married for her to apply. 

You have nothing to lose by getting him one. Even if you do not plan on living in Australia, the Aussie passport is a valuable travel document that will allow your kid to travel to a lot of countries that are normally off-limits to Thais.

A friend recently moved his family to Australia, Thai wife, daughter on Aussie passport, son on Thai passport I think:

Cost for partner visas about $17000, with residency etc, total cost around $30,000. Get a bl... passport and jump though all the hoops if you have to!  

Totally agree with the posts above we got our baby daughter the Thai  UK and Australian passports when she was three months old last year

The main reason being that it opens up more opportunities when she is an adult

For the Australian passport you have first to apply for citizenship just more forms and money

Holding the Australian passport saves having to apply for visas for many countries plus if visiting the U.K. Can get access to a certain level of medical treatment for free

As one of the posters above stated to get residency for your wife and then citizenship and passport Mfrom memory you will have to be residing in Australia but when my wife obtained hers didn't have to be married but prove that you had been in a relationship for at least a year

Rules change so need to check

If you have the option of giving your luk khrueng (half-Thai-child) dual nationality, I will advise to do it; because just holding a Western passport makes travelling outside Thailand so much easier, and you give your child more future options for both travelling, and studying abroad.

I'm Scandinavian, so I cannot advise about OZ-rules, but for my Country it required some certified translation job of Thai Birth Certificate, approved by the Legalization Division, Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok; which can be done by EMS, so you don't need to go to Bangkok for that part. It takes a few days and the fee is reasonable. Your wife can call and get up-to-date information; however check first with your Embassy in Bangkok exactly what the require.

-    Postal Service : For your convenience, Express Mail Service (EMS) for submission of documents and delivery of documents 
    is available. Please call 0 2575 1058-60 for more information.

4 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Totally agree with the posts above we got our baby daughter the Thai  UK and Australian passports when she was three months old last year

For the Australian passport you have first to apply for citizenship just more forms and money

Any passport obtained at 3 months old will be long expired by adulthood, and if not used previously, a waste of money as I stated above. The OP said he had no current travel plans which is why I suggested he gets the kid citizenship, but not the passport until needed.

To obtain any national passport you need to be a citizen of that country, no special rule there for Australians. Maybe some countries supply them without forms and fees, give me a heads up if you know of such a place!

Recent changes to the Citizenship Act currently going (gone?)  through require the applicant to be a  permanent resident for 4 years before becoming eligible for citizenship. ( doesn't affect Citz by Descent)

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/am-i-eligible

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Holding the Australian passport saves having to apply for visas for many countries plus if visiting the U.K. Can get access to a certain level of medical treatment for free

Only initial emergency treatment in an A&E department, plus a very few other treatments; the same as all other non EEA nationals who are visitors in the UK.

The rules for EEA nationals visiting the UK are slightly different; if they have a valid European Health Insurance Card they are entitled to full treatment. How this will change, if at all, post Brexit remains to be seen.

There are many reasons why the OP should get an Australian passport for his son; but accessing the UK's NHS isn't one of them!

N.B., the above links are to NHS England, but the rules are the same in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

13 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

I agree 100%. I registered my child's birth with my embassy immediately after she was born, and applied and received a passport for her. It opens up a whole world of opportunity for your child, an opportunity he or she would not have otherwise. 

Thanks for all the replies. On the form 118 its asking for the last 5 yrs addresses. From birth I think my wife put our baby on her parents yellow house book. Should I just put that address down even though we personally havent lived there. I have 3 rental agreements proving the other houses we rented at. What do you think?

10 hours ago, Howard said:

Don't waste your time and money. If you don't have plans to travel that may need a passport there is no point.

However, it is imperative that you register the birth with the Australian Embassy so that your child has Australian citizenship. The passport can be obtained any time thereafter if needed and residence can be taken up at any time.

Howard

You only need a passport to travel internationally.  Babies don't like to travel much. ?

7 hours ago, StevieAus said:

As one of the posters above stated to get residency for your wife and then citizenship and passport Mfrom memory you will have to be residing in Australia but when my wife obtained hers didn't have to be married but prove that you had been in a relationship for at least a year

Rules change so need to check

Further to my previous reply above regarding what address to put, I called the centre in bkk this afternoon and told the lady that we are not legally married. I think she said that we should thus provide extra evidence of cohabitation. Perhaps I should put the past 5 yrs addresses down as I have copies of lease agreements ie dont put the inlaws address?

14 hours ago, bbabythai said:

Thanks for all the replies. On the form 118 its asking for the last 5 yrs addresses. From birth I think my wife put our baby on her parents yellow house book. Should I just put that address down even though we personally havent lived there. I have 3 rental agreements proving the other houses we rented at. What do you think?

I am just going to put where baby has lived. Form is for baby. You are just filling it in.

On 11/05/2017 at 2:42 PM, yieldman said:

A friend recently moved his family to Australia, Thai wife, daughter on Aussie passport, son on Thai passport I think:

Cost for partner visas about $17000, with residency etc, total cost around $30,000. Get a bl... passport and jump though all the hoops if you have to!  

One can only assume your friend used a migration agent with extraordinarily high fees as the cost for a partner visa when applying directly is under AUD7,000.and a child under 18 is AUD$2370