FBI chief aimed to expand Russia probe before Trump fired him - source

webfact

FBI chief aimed to expand Russia probe before Trump fired him - source

By Dustin Volz and Susan Cornwell

REUTERS

r1.jpg

FILE PHOTO: FBI Director James Comey testifies before a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on "Oversight of the Federal Bureau of Investigation" on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., May 3, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - FBI Director James Comey, days before President Donald Trump fired him, sought to expand his agency's probe into possible collusion between Trump's presidential campaign and Russia to sway the 2016 U.S. election, a congressional source said on Wednesday.

With the Republican president facing a storm of criticism from many Democratic lawmakers and some in his own party, the Trump administration accused Comey of "atrocities" on the job and denied his firing was related to the FBI's Russia investigation.

Trump, who met Russia's foreign minister at the White House on Wednesday, lashed out at critics, calling Democrats "phony hypocrites," and defended his decision to abruptly oust Comey on Tuesday from the law enforcement post he held since 2013.

Democrats intensified accusations that Comey's removal was intended to undermine the Federal Bureau of Investigation probe and demanded an independent investigation into the alleged Russian meddling, with some calling the firing an attempt to cover up wrongdoing related to Russia. Some of Trump's fellow Republicans called the action troubling.

The firing stunned Washington and plunged Trump deeper into a controversy over his campaign's alleged ties with Russia that has dogged the early days of his presidency, while also threatening to hinder his policy goals.

"He wasn't doing a good job, very simply," the Republican president said of Comey during a meeting with former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger in the White House Oval Office.

A congressional source with knowledge of the matter said Comey told lawmakers within the past few days he had asked the Justice Department for additional resources - mainly more staffing - for the Russia probe. Comey informed lawmakers of that request after the Senate intelligence committee, conducting its own investigation, had asked the FBI to speed up its Russia inquiry, the source said.

Democrat Dianne Feinstein, the Senate Judiciary Committee's top Democrat, told reporters she understood Comey was seeking more resources for the FBI investigation.

"We know that there are subpoenas being requested in the Eastern District of Virginia, and that this investigation has been going on," Feinstein told reporters.

Responding to media reports that Comey had asked Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein last week for a significant boost in resources for the agency's probe, Justice Department spokesman Ian Prior said in an email: "Totally false."

U.S. intelligence agencies concluded in a January report that Russian President Vladimir Putin had ordered an effort to disrupt the 2016 election that included hacking into Democratic Party emails and leaking them, with the aim of helping Trump.

Russia has denied any such meddling. The Trump administration denies allegations of collusion with Russia.

The administration said on Tuesday that Comey's firing stemmed from his handling of an election-year FBI probe into Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server during her time as secretary of state.

White House officials said Trump's anger at Comey had been building for months but a turning point came when the FBI chief refused to preview for top Trump aides his planned testimony to a May 3 Senate hearing on the Clinton email issue, an act Trump and his aides took it as an act of insubordination.

Trump had been considering letting Comey go "since the day he was elected" in November, White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said. She referred to what she called Comey's "atrocities in circumventing the chain of command" at the Justice Department.

'PHONY HYPOCRITES'

Many Democrats have criticized Comey's management of the Clinton investigation, but they questioned the timing of his dismissal, given that Trump could have acted soon after taking office on Jan. 20 and that he has repeatedly criticized the FBI and congressional probes into Russia's role in the election.

In a flurry of Twitter posts, Trump said Comey had "lost the confidence of almost everyone in Washington, Republican and Democrat alike." He added, "Dems have been complaining for months & months about Dir. Comey. Now that he has been fired they PRETEND to be aggrieved. Phony hypocrites!"

The Senate minority leader, Democrat Chuck Schumer, said Rosenstein should appoint a special prosecutor. Schumer called on Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to hold closed and potentially classified briefings with all senators to question the top Justice Department officials, Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Rosenstein.

"We know Director Comey was leading an investigation (into) whether the Trump campaign colluded with the Russians, a serious offence. Were those investigations getting too close to home for the president?" Schumer said.

McConnell accused Democrats of "complaining about the removal of an FBI director who they themselves repeatedly and sharply criticized" and said a special prosecutor would impede existing probes like one under way in the Senate intelligence committee.

Mark Warner, the intelligence committee's top Democrat, said he and the panel's Republican chairman, Richard Burr, had asked Comey to testify before the panel in private next Tuesday.

Some Democrats compared Trump's move to the "Saturday Night Massacre" of 1973, in which President Richard Nixon ordered the firing of an independent special prosecutor investigating the Watergate scandal that eventually led Nixon to resign.

Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal told MSNBC there was "mounting evidence" that informal Trump adviser Roger Stone, former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort, Trump campaign adviser Carter Page and fired national security adviser Michael Flynn "all face serious criminal culpability, and that evidence if pursued could lead to the very top."

Trump said he had "a very, very good meeting" with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and they discussed Syria's civil war. Their meeting was the highest-level public contact between Trump and Putin's government since Trump took office.

During an earlier appearance at the State Department, Lavrov responded in a sarcastic tone when answering a question about Comey's dismissal, saying: "Was he fired? You're kidding. You're kidding."

In the Russian city of Sochi, Putin said Comey's firing would not have an impact on U.S.-Russian relations.

Trump's nominee as the new FBI director would need to win Senate confirmation. Trump's possible choices to head the FBI on an interim basis, according to a White House official, include acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, Assistant Director Paul Abbate, Chicago FBI agent Michael Anderson and Richmond, Virginia, agent Adam Lee.

(Additional reporting by Steve Holland, Susan Heavey, Patricia Zengerle, David Morgan, David Alexander, Eric Beech, Arshad Mohammed and Julia Harte; Writing by Will Dunham; Editing by Frances Kerry and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-11

Whatever the true reason for the sacking, the timing of it is bound to lead to suspicion that Comey was on the right trail in the Russian investigation.

Donald tweeting about it also to me seems questionable. If it was strictly above board, he shouldn't have felt the need to defend his actions.

The truth in this matter needs to come out.

If Trump has nothing to fear let him appoint a special prosecutor to fully investigate the issue. His firing of Comey is a red flag to everyone that there is some issue he does not want investigated.  

This is just the beginning shot in a drama that will be played out over many months to come. Trump will either resign or go down in flames either by impeachment or the use of the 25th Amendment to remove him. I truly hope his demise does not take down America with it.

Trump has no morals and he would start a war or use military action simply to protect his own grip on power. the Republicans need to step forward and stop this narcissistic meglomaniac before he destroys everything. Every action this man takes is at odds with what the majority of Americans believe in.

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

It is time for some Republican senators to step up to the plate. They need to put aside the fear of alienating voters and put the interests of America first.

The entire Republican party is a party of cowards.  They won't do anything.  Ryan and McConnell have already come out to say they support Comey's dismissal.  Disgusting.  It's so obvious what's going on.  Comey wouldn't roll over for Trump.  Trump's idea of loyalty is for Comey to drop the Russian investigation and focus on Trump's crazy Obama wiretap accusation and intel leaks.  Instead, Comey did his job and wanted to expand the Russian investigation.  For having his own brain and integrity, he got fired.    

The entire Republican party is a party of cowards.  They won't do anything.  Ryan and McConnell have already come out to say they support Comey's dismissal.  Disgusting.  It's so obvious what's going on.  Comey wouldn't roll over for Trump.  Trump's idea of loyalty is for Comey to drop the Russian investigation and focus on Trump's crazy Obama wiretap accusation and intel leaks.  Instead, Comey did his job and wanted to expand the Russian investigation.  For having his own brain and integrity, he got fired.    

Yes country before party but they're not there yet.

In the meantime Trump is still the POTUS and still at liberty to keep causing chaos with every breath he takes.  This embarrassment for the USA must be brought to an end sooner rather than later.  The man is mad and dangerous and it is unbelievable that he remains one of the most powerful people in the world.

Comey was part of the"SWAMP! He had to go and the President has the authority to fire him. The FBI is bigger than one incompetent!

Hopefully, the new FBI Director will have the Justice Department seat a Grand Jury on the Clinton Foundation and the spying of

Americans by the Obama Administration. Maybe even seat a Grand Jury on the Hillary Emails fiasco. That would be nice. Also, declarfe

Trump had nothing to do with Russian interference, if any, during the past election cycle. Go Trump! Drain the Swamp!

18 minutes ago, tomwct said:

Comey was part of the"SWAMP! He had to go and the President has the authority to fire him. The FBI is bigger than one incompetent!

Hopefully, the new FBI Director will have the Justice Department seat a Grand Jury on the Clinton Foundation and the spying of

Americans by the Obama Administration. Maybe even seat a Grand Jury on the Hillary Emails fiasco. That would be nice. Also, declarfe

Trump had nothing to do with Russian interference, if any, during the past election cycle. Go Trump! Drain the Swamp!

It is sad, but it would not surprise me at all if that is going to be the assignment of the new FBI boss.

6 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

i don't see any signs of that….in fact its the opposite…chanting it every day ad nauseam won't make it happen.

Maybe you are right, maybe Trump will survive.  At the moment he is teetering on the edge of self destruct but for how long?  He could stagger on for some time and if his close allies can rein him in then perhaps he can ride out the ridicule coming from the rest of the world.  I certainly hope not but we live in strange times

Comey didn't find any criminal activity by Hilary, was unable to come up with ANY evidence that Obama had been wiretapping Trump, and worse as far as Donald was concerned, continued to dig into him and the Russian connection. To Donald's (tiny) mind, the man was an incompetent who wouldn't do what Donald wanted.

Interesting that in Comeys resignation letter he has urged those remaining to "uphold the constitution."

Seven months ago it was the Democratic Party and Hillary supporters that wanted Comey removed, now they are outraged that Trump fired him. As far as any direct conspiracy evidence between Trump and Russian over the election I don't believe it. If Russian had any influence in the eleçtion it was in their interests to not have HRC elected. I do not think this was to help Trump but to defeat Clinton.   

Seven months ago it was the Democratic Party and Hillary supporters that wanted Comey removed, now they are outraged that Trump fired him. As far as any direct conspiracy evidence between Trump and Russian over the election I don't believe it. If Russian had any influence in the eleçtion it was in their interests to not have HRC elected. I do not think this was to help Trump but to defeat Clinton.   
There were only two choices. Hurting Clinton helped trump. Duh

Why did he invite Kissinger there the next day?  Hilarious.  It's like spitting in everyone's face :clap2:

He's always playing games.  He still thinks he is campaigning~sorry man/child.  I hope he's practicing kissing his a** goodbye

3 hours ago, tomwct said:

Everyone has issues with Comey.  It was completely the wrong time to fire him, and it's mostly because he wasn't being the political lamb the Trump wanted.

Unfortunately, you seem to be a lost swamp dweller yourself.  Don't give up, you will find the matches or flashlight to find your way out.  I know the water is deep, and it must smell quit bad, but stop being scared, and stop listening to the monsters :hit-the-fan:

13 minutes ago, klikster said:

First, long before the election I went on record despising both candidates for POTUS -- Trump being the most despised. But I do want to take serious issue with you and others who apparently take some glee in slandering anyone who voted for Trump.

Sixty-two  million citizens who made the effort to register and vote don't deserve your insults. Shame on you.

Trump says what he thinks with no hesitation.  There is your role model.  He has not changed since the campaign, and he has degraded individuals, females, corporations, lawyers, handicapped...he has no ethics, and he doesn't care for anyone but himself and his family.  I would say, this man has the right to say what he wants, even though it's a little much.  DT is a sad case for a human, less the president of the US.

Just now, Redline said:

Trump says what he thinks with no hesitation.  There is your role model.  He has not changed since the campaign, and he has degraded individuals, females, corporations, lawyers, handicapped...he has no ethics, and he doesn't care for anyone but himself and his family.  I would say, this man has the right to say what he wants, even though it's a little much.  DT is a sad case for a human, less the president of the US.

I think you missed my point. Read what I wrote, not what you seemed to have thought I meant.

18 minutes ago, klikster said:

I think you missed my point. Read what I wrote, not what you seemed to have thought I meant.

You said insults. 

18 minutes ago, klikster said:

I said the insults were harsh.  He certainly can say what he wants.  He is upset, and is taking a page from the Trump playbook.  He is making the point that those that voted for DT, should have evaluated him better.  It was obvious what kind of person he is/was and he did not even address any policy (neither did HC).  So, I think you are giving credit to people that voted, and I do as well.  But, when it all comes out in the wash, the people that voted for him will need to take some responsibility.  There were other people running beside the 2 major candidates.  DT lied over and over, and is still doing it.  I understand your sensitivity

Edited by Redline

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think the recent French election illustrated that the Russians are trying to influence election results.  That is not the question.  The question is how much was Trump involved?

And/or people in the trump campaign.

Also his business and family business finances connection to Russian oligarchs. See taxes.

4 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

i don't see any signs of that….in fact its the opposite…chanting it every day ad nauseam won't make it happen.

Simple politics, the more he keeps incriminating himself and the more this scandel deepens  the less anybody with real influence will risk showing any support for him. His numbers are already at historic low levels and dropping. Just a matter of time before  GOP congressmen start distancing themselves from him to save themselves from being pulled down with him.

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Already badly damaged and honestly deserved. Even though trump lost the popular vote the founders designed the electoral college as a last bastion to block destructive demagogues like trump. The system failed, the American people failed and there will be a massive price to pay for that.

Oh please! The mantra "Trump lost/Hilary won" the popular vote is wearing thin now. And more people abstained than voted for Hilary or Trump! And those that did vote were fairly evenly split in absolute terms.

Hilary lost because she was arrogant, assumed she was elected POTUS before any even voted, cheated Bernie to get her party's nomination and came with a great deal of baggage including some very unsavory things.

Trump won, based on the US system that has always been the system used. He didn't, AFAIK, conspire with the Republican Party to cheat other candidates out of the nomination. He had no previous political experience and told many people what they wanted to hear. Will he deliver - doubtful on many of them as there have already been u-turns, watering downs, and changes. 

But the fact is many people wanted a change. Not more of the same with good old Hilary lining her family's pockets whilst doing as she'd always done. Whether Trump will be that change remains to be seen. Way too early to tell but signs are that he's likely not too deliver what he promised.

One thing for sure, whatever the outcome, the American people will pay. Just like the British people will pay, whatever the result of the General Election or Brexit negotiations.

Banking/Finance and politics - the only "professions" that always come up roses whatever shit flies.

His end is coming...not now'-but in the not too distant future. There are many  similarities to the fall of Nixon.  Trump refuses to show his full tax returns because we will be able to see some of his connections financially to the Russians. He fired Comey because he cannot control him and Comey was pushing forward with the Russian investigation of Trump and his minions connections to the Russians.  If he has nothing to hide- why not a Special Prosecutor?.

As more and more evidence is uncovered , even the Republicans will start to run from him and if he is impeached and there is firm evidence of either his connection to the Russians and that he is covering for someone else- he will be convicted. I fully expect he will resign before it gets to that......or possibly he will be removed under the 25th amendment,  However, the damage he is doing to America will be felt for a long time both domestically and in the International arena.

I don't blame the  Americans that voted for him- I blame a closed system that allows people who have money to 'buy' their way to the Presidency. Americans wanted change and instead they got a narcissistic meglomaniac who cares only for himself and is minions, The only real candidate who would have made a positive change was Bernie Sanders and he was stiffed by the system.

21 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Hilary lost because she was arrogant, assumed she was elected POTUS before any even voted, cheated Bernie to get her party's nomination and came with a great deal of baggage including some very unsavory things.

The big lie is based on the idea that if you repeat a falsehood often enough and widely enough, people start to accept it as truth.  No, Clinton didn't cheat Sanders to get her party's nomination.  Anybody who gives even a cursory examination to the so-called evidence can see this for themselves.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2016/07/25/the_dnc_s_emails_show_it_had_no_idea_how_to_rig_an_election.html

Edited by ilostmypassword

Trump is the President but if he was elected due to Russian interference in the election process or because any of his staff collaborated with the Russians to elect him- it is akin to treason. There is a constitutional crisis brewing and it's not going away until a Special prosecutor is appointed who has no ties to either party. Let the full truth come out so either Trump is fully cleared or there is evidence of wrongdoing and let the chips fall where they may. Stonewalling an investigation is not going to stop huge speculation of what did he know and when did he know it.

Until all is cleared he will have no real mandate to govern and this puts America in a dangerous position in which enemies can take advantage of the situation and any domestic agenda is stymied.  It's time for both parties to step forward and do what is right for the people and not their parties.