Thai Health Min scrambles following nurse protest

webfact

Ministry scrambles following nurse protest 
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn called an urgent meeting on Thursday morning to address the Cabinet’s decision against designating nearly 11,000 nurses as civil servants.

The Cabinet’s May 9 dismissal of a ministry proposal to add 10,992 more civil service positions for nurses sparked outrage among temporarily employed nurses and threats to resign in protest.

Piyasakol said before the meeting that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha was concerned about the fallout and the Cabinet resolution could be modified. Piyasakol said the ministry still has vacant civil-service positions for nurses.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30314896

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-11

He should go the patriotic route. Explain how the money is being spent on subs. How Thailand will be the envy of Cambodia and laos. It might not put food on the table but it sure does put pride in the stomach. 

3 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

He should go the patriotic route. Explain how the money is being spent on subs. How Thailand will be the envy of Cambodia and laos. It might not put food on the table but it sure does put pride in the stomach. 

i agree, people may die but hell...................... look at the paint job on that sub. :partytime2:

These rolling temporary posts are appalling and just a means to save money and keep women firmly in their place.

My Thai wife used to work in an office of eight, 4 women and 4 men. All the men were on permanent contracts, all the women temporary doing exactly the same work for less pay and benefits.

3 of the women had been on rolling contracts for nearly a decade.

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

These rolling temporary posts are appalling and just a means to save money and keep women firmly in their place.

My Thai wife used to work in an office of eight, 4 women and 4 men. All the men were on permanent contracts, all the women temporary doing exactly the same work for less pay and benefits.

3 of the women had been on rolling contracts for nearly a decade.

Whilst I am no feminist (haven't got the legs for it) I am often amazed at the level of discrimination  against women in the workplace here.  Yet they are the most effective contributors and earners in so many fields, how does that rather unflattering phrase go - " The legs of the Elephant".