Govt Torpedoes Plan To Add 11,000 Hospital Nurses

snoop1130

Govt Torpedoes Plan To Add 11,000 Hospital Nurses

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

Nurse-grad2558-696x449.jpg

In a homage to Florence Nightingale, newly graduated nurses light candles in a graduation ceremony at Boromarajonani College of Nursing Suphan Buri in 2015. Image: SncChannels / YouTube

BANGKOK — A number of nurse associations expressed anger Thursday over the government’s decision not to hire 10,000 new hospital workers as requested by public health officials.

Some nurses took to social media to air their frustration after the cabinet decided Tuesday to reject a Public Health Ministry proposal to fill nearly 11,000 vacant nurse positions at state hospitals, which have suffered from severe understaffing and overcrowding. The decision prompted the ministry to call an emergency meeting on the matter for Thursday.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/05/11/govt-torpedoes-plan-add-11000-hospital-nurses/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-5-11

Well surprise, surprise.

What did they expect?

The plonkers running this country are only interested in buy subs, tanks etc for the boys to play with.

They are not interested in nurses, why help them, we can get them to do the job paying peanuts, so let them carry on.

When the meeting was announced, they had already decided the outcome, just went through the motions.

...those that can will now take the long task of preparing to work overseas and make a heck of alot more...   MOPH and PBRI have for decades ignored their poor planning practices for Health Care providers and nurses.  

All the best to the ladies in white...

1 hour ago, inactiveposter said:

You have to love the subtlety of the torpedo reference in the headline.

I thought that. Unfortunately it will be lost in translation .... or there will be some 'attitude adjustment'

"Understaffing"!!! The few times I have been to a hospital here, all I could see were hordes of nurses standing/sitting around doing nothing. 

How many nurses does it take to weigh, measure a patient's height take his/her blood pressure? One. Or in Thailand, an entire team of them. 

5 hours ago, djayz said:

"Understaffing"!!! The few times I have been to a hospital here, all I could see were hordes of nurses standing/sitting around doing nothing. 

How many nurses does it take to weigh, measure a patient's height take his/her blood pressure? One. Or in Thailand, an entire team of them. 

Your comments are out of order.

I feel i am best placed to comment about nurses in Thailand, after spending 7 months being cared for by Thai nurses.

Yes go into the emergency rooms, you will see nurses standing around, but when patients are rushed in they spring into action.

I go every 3 weeks, to the local hospital emergency room, and it is not unusual to have to wait up  to 2 hours, because they are busy with accident victims.

I hope you are never in need of nurses, because if you are you will not complain about them standing around, when they are rushing to attend to you.

17 hours ago, colinneil said:

Your comments are out of order.

I feel i am best placed to comment about nurses in Thailand, after spending 7 months being cared for by Thai nurses.

Yes go into the emergency rooms, you will see nurses standing around, but when patients are rushed in they spring into action.

I go every 3 weeks, to the local hospital emergency room, and it is not unusual to have to wait up  to 2 hours, because they are busy with accident victims.

I hope you are never in need of nurses, because if you are you will not complain about them standing around, when they are rushing to attend to you.

On the contrary. My comment was spot on. 

Yes, as you rightly pointed out, the nurses spring into action as soon as they are needed. I didn't infer otherwise. My comment before was not a direct attack at the nurses per se, but merely an observation that there are enough of them and therefore I believe the government was right in its decision not to emoloy an additional 11,000 nurses. Which was the topic I commented on, and not on the nurses work ethics, which is something you raised.  

There is no shortage of nurses at hospitals in Thailand. Go to any hospital in many Western European countries and it's the exact opposite. There's a real shortage of staff due to cutbacks. The nurses they do have, are ran off their feet. 

It just so happens that I accompanied somebody to a hospital in Korat today. Again, dozens of them sitting around with very little to do. Yes they attended to the patients, but there were still too many on duty. No shortage. 

6 hours ago, djayz said:

On the contrary. My comment was spot on. 

Yes, as you rightly pointed out, the nurses spring into action as soon as they are needed. I didn't infer otherwise. My comment before was not a direct attack at the nurses per se, but merely an observation that there are enough of them and therefore I believe the government was right in its decision not to emoloy an additional 11,000 nurses. Which was the topic I commented on, and not on the nurses work ethics, which is something you raised.  

There is no shortage of nurses at hospitals in Thailand. Go to any hospital in many Western European countries and it's the exact opposite. There's a real shortage of staff due to cutbacks. The nurses they do have, are ran off their feet. 

It just so happens that I accompanied somebody to a hospital in Korat today. Again, dozens of them sitting around with very little to do. Yes they attended to the patients, but there were still too many on duty. No shortage. 

I hope you never have a serious accident/illness.

Because if you do your attitude towards nurses standing around with nothing to do, will change drastically.

Have to agree, nurses in Thai hospitals do a remarkable job in most cases - paperwork is unfortunately part of the job, blame the hospital not the nurses if they are made to do it rather than caring for patients.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

I hope you never have a serious accident/illness.

Because if you do your attitude towards nurses standing around with nothing to do, will change drastically.

You still don't get it, do you? 

2 hours ago, djayz said:

You still don't get it, do you? 

555, he seems to be missing your point.  I agree.  There are many nurses and seemingly with not much to do.  I am sure they are bored, but they are employed.  More below.

On 5/11/2017 at 7:26 PM, Rhys said:

...those that can will now take the long task of preparing to work overseas and make a heck of alot more...   MOPH and PBRI have for decades ignored their poor planning practices for Health Care providers and nurses.  

All the best to the ladies in white...

I knew a nurse that taught at one of the nursing schools.  I have to say, their chance of getting a job in any western hospital as an RN is slim.  They will have to go through all the required training from the start.  If their english isn't up to standard, not easy for them.  I have only heard of a few to do this successfully.  

On the other hand, I knew a lot of Filipina(o)s working as RN and PA in many hospitals in the states.

I know a nurse in CR, she sometimes attends 2 seminars a month around thailand.  The last one was head trauma and treatment (incidentally taught by a team from the Philippines), she then goes on to teach at her hospital and she runs a pretty tight ship with her team.  Works the ER, rides ambulance and when I talk to her about medical/nurse things she knows her shit, loves her work and is always wanting to know more.  Sadly her supervisor is the weak link.  
I met a few of her friends.  One guy runs his own accident/rescue squad.  Loves his work and is constantly learning more.  He has bought most of his own equipment. 
Where's the government when it comes to this type of funding and support?  LOST in the <deleted> ocean with subs.  Sad.

She does say that too many coming out of nurse schools are about useless and unable/unwilling to learn and work hard.   They get reassigned to more and more meaningless positions in the hospital until eventually they are greeters at the front entrance.  Most eventually quit at this point.
So I see the point about not funding more.  

Edited by Nowisee