Ford wants to do 100k km service but car only 65k km

Ford dealer is saying we are due for a 100k km service on my wife's Fiesta. My wife told them we only have 65k km, the lady replied that service interval goes by time not kilometers. (Funny how they call it 100k km service)

Does this sound right or is it the usual Thai save face BS?

Sounds right because almost every manufacturer does every 6 months or 10k km interval whichever comes first.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yep. Our car is very low mileage so we follow the time intervals for servicing.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

The cam belt is probably on the list for replacement at 100,000 other than that there is probably not much difference between 6X,000 and 100,000 service.

Average for a car is say 10,000 to 12,000 miles per year so at 6 years...they are probably correct if they don't know the current mileage.

As there is only the cam belt as different, it wouldn't hurt?

They changes the oils in the car every 6 months or 10,000km (or 9 months/15,000km for newer ford). 

Even if you haven't reach the mileage, you would still have to change the oil after a certain time. No. Ford isn't trying to rip you off. It's just a reminder. You could have it done outside at B-Quik as well.. and they will call you again when 6 months has elapsed irregardless of mileage. 

service interval goes either by time or distance, whichever occurs first. if it's solely based on time and you hardly use your car, how long will it take for your odometer to hit 100k? 5 years? 10 years? read your service manual carefully.

17 hours ago, shady86 said:

Sounds right because almost every manufacturer does every 6 months or 10k km interval whichever comes first.

Mazda Australia have moved with the times and abandoned this scam.  Their schedule is now 10,000 or 12 months, and 10k almost always comes first.

I've never had my cars serviced on a time based schedule, and if there is a claim the onus is on the dealer to prove it was due to a service not being completed to their greedy schedule, e.g., if a petrol pump, or shock absorber failed because the 20,000 km service wasn't done at 12 months, they would be obliged to repair under warranty because there was no service required on those components at either 10 or 20,000 km.

Modern oils don't need changing at 6 months if the car has done only 5,000 kms.

But.....modern oils may not be available in Thailand, possible but not probable.

Edited by F4UCorsair

On one service visit I gave them royal shit for replacing a perfectly clean air-con filter. They said its according to service guide and if I don't replace then it could void the warrantee. By the way, I have not had any issues with my transmission and they extended warrantee to 7 years. Its a fun little car to drive. (Ford Fiesta S 1.6L 2012).

I have a very low mileage Mazda 2, only 17k after buying it new in 2010. First of all, I've never had it back to the dealer after the warranty period was up. No reason to pay more for routine maintenance. 

I think the 6 month rule is bogus. Oil doesn't go bad. Maintaining a car isn't about replacing things because their old. What if you owned a classic Ferrari? Would you replace the air filter if you only drove it a 1000 miles, it's as good as new. That goes for everything else. 

Get a multi point inspection done for peace of mind, if you feel the need. Maybe they'll find a leak or a rubber hose that is brittle, etc, but save your money IMHO. 

Oil gets "refreshed" when the car is driven at full temperature on the highway for 10-20 minutes. With short trips, water builds up in the oil, creating an acidic situation that can slowly damage internal parts. An oil change every 6 months will prevent this. 

Getting service that a car doesn't need is just wasteful. Oh, and lose the dealer. 

Manufacturers now have to honor a warranty even if routine servicing is done by other than an 'authorized dealer'.......in Australia, and probably many other countries under fair trading laws.  The servicing mechanic must be a licensed person,  a qualified tradesman.

We can thank Ultra Tune for taking on the manufacturers and ending a scam that started with the T Model Ford.

3 hours ago, RBOP said:

Not when it comes to keeping warrantee valid.

I'll go with kiniyow. Just made the first year service with my new car, very low mileage, no oil change needed. Made at the official car dealer, no problem with the warranty.

Is the oil looking clean (as new)? If it is black or sludge/water in it then get the filter and oil changed. What else does your Service Manual say should be done in the first 65k km running? Is the 100k km the first service?

If there is a cam belt to be changed when should it be done (according to your Service Manual)? Seems to vary among major manufacturers from 60k km to 100k km (or maybe a longer interval).

There are genuine precautions you should take but always bear in mind that servicing is where the dealer makes their profits. 

On 5/11/2017 at 3:14 PM, shady86 said:

Using your rationale i am way overdue for my ##??&! km service. :whistling::thumbsup:

Do yourself a favor, stay away from Pattaya Ford ! They rip you off and do a horrible job. I also had some work done on my Ford Focus not too long ago, not only did they make my car worse, but I waited more than 8 hrs ! When I tried to find a Mgr, none was to be found anywhere. 
Biggest mistake I made was to purchase A Ford in Thailand, never again. They have no clue how to repair things and the quality is very poor.

On 5/12/2017 at 5:28 PM, F4UCorsair said:

Manufacturers now have to honor a warranty even if routine servicing is done by other than an 'authorized dealer'.......in Australia, and probably many other countries under fair trading laws.  The servicing mechanic must be a licensed person,  a qualified tradesman.

We can thank Ultra Tune for taking on the manufacturers and ending a scam that started with the T Model Ford.

Go explain this to your Thai car seller...

If car is up to date with services, just get oil + filter changed with multi point checks on rest (as per service schedule) every 10K, check spec for cambelt and make sure thats done when due with a new water pump at same time.

B-Quik or a good independent/mechanic can keep you car tip top for a lot less than the main dealer (and probably better standards too)

In Australia blah, blah, blah...

What happens in Drongoland has nothing to do with the reality of living in Thailand.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer