Heinz Tomato Soup

cyberfarang

I went shopping in the Rimping supermarket at the Kad Farang, Hang Dong yesterday and to my surprise they stocked cans of Heinz tomato soup. The first time I have ever seen Heinz tomato soup sold in Thailand.

They are medium size cans imported from Australia, condensed, called Big Red and cost 135 baht (same as pictured below) Thought; no matter how much they cost, I must try one. Have not tried the soup yet and will report back with my opinion when I do. Hoping they taste the same as the kind I used to buy in England.

This branch of Rimping only had 6 cans on the shelve and do not know if other branches of Rimping have these soups in stock.

big red.jpg

So yesterday I took the plunge and decided to open my can of Heinz tomato soup and sample the delights of a soup I have not tasted for many years.

My opinion: I was disappointed. Nothing like the original I used to love in England.  This Big Red Australian brand had no consistency even through I used less water than recommended to make the soup thicker. It was weak plus also very sweet. Seems they added a lot of sugar or sweetener to substitute for the lack of ingredients. It had a watery syrupy type of texture, dark red colour, not like the bright orange colour of the original.

Was it good value for 135 baht. No. It`s a poor man`s version using the name of Heinz and I will not be buying any more of that weak excuse for a Heinz tomato soup.

On 5/15/2017 at 0:34 AM, cyberfarang said:

So yesterday I took the plunge and decided to open my can of Heinz tomato soup and sample the delights of a soup I have not tasted for many years.

My opinion: I was disappointed. Nothing like the original I used to love in England.  This Big Red Australian brand had no consistency even through I used less water than recommended to make the soup thicker. It was weak plus also very sweet. Seems they added a lot of sugar or sweetener to substitute for the lack of ingredients. It had a watery syrupy type of texture, dark red colour, not like the bright orange colour of the original.

Was it good value for 135 baht. No. It`s a poor man`s version using the name of Heinz and I will not be buying any more of that weak excuse for a Heinz tomato soup.

Good value!  That's over four dollars USD  in the  the states it costs .50 cents./ 15 baht