People still free to ‘like’ on social media with discretion, ministry clarifies

rooster59

On 5/13/2017 at 9:31 AM, tracker1 said:

He clarified that the public could still express opinions via online channels, provided their comments do not infringe on other peoples’ rights or break any laws. That leaves things a bit open for clarification  when it comes to Laws and Peoples Rights !

This is so stupid, it does not require a comment.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, garyk said:

I'm am not political in the least, but what is the difference in a Military run country and Communism, or dictatorship?

Anyone have a link so I can read the difference?

Thanks

The difference is in the spelling of the words! Same same control by those who cannot abide by the fact that the citizens my like to have some real say in how THEIR country is run.

Typical military (or Communism/Dictatorship) - you, you and you WILL volunteer!

Edited by lvr181
Comment Variation

15 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Somsak Kaosuwan is saying "Do it my way or no way!"

To be expected of a regime wanting to reign in freedom of expression (usually a democratic principle) although the PM has claimed he is the "protector of democracy".

Doesn't make any sense to me.

protector of democracy ??!! wow, truly out of touch

18 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

So if I like a photo with a person in a short top I can have a problem. Unfortunately FB dont have dislike buttons, then we could have disliked such a photo, but that would have put the Thai moral police in a spin. I however believe that everyone have the right to knowledge and the right to like or dislike. If I wear a short top and walk down the street everyone have the right to like or dislike my dress code. If I however wear the same clothes in my house then it becomes a private matter. If someone takes a sneaky photo of me in such clothes in my house and publish it I believe that my privacy have been violated. But then again we live in a world where logic dont count for much. 

FB has angry, wow, love, haha and sad as well as like icons in my android app. That should cover most moods/emotions.

6 minutes ago, Keesters said:

FB has angry, wow, love, haha and sad as well as like icons in my android app. That should cover most moods/emotions.

These are all different kind of 'Like' function. There is no 'dislike' function. 'Angry' and 'Sad' are all a kind of 'like'. This is a LOGICAL function. You put the 'Like' count of the post up one, whilst adding an emoticon to show your reaction.

Thaivisa has 'Love'. Does this imply a different function? or is it simply another 'Like' toggle that adds to the 'Like' count of a post to show how many people clicked 'like'?

Remember, the ultimate purpose of Facebook is to earn money - you create pages and get pumped for money to increase the number of page views and 'Likes'. Oh, sorry - were you still under the impression that Facebook is free?

3 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

These are all different kind of 'Like' function. There is no 'dislike' function. 'Angry' and 'Sad' are all a kind of 'like'. This is a LOGICAL function. You put the 'Like' count of the post up one, whilst adding an emoticon to show your reaction.

Thaivisa has 'Love'. Does this imply a different function? or is it simply another 'Like' toggle that adds to the 'Like' count of a post to show how many people clicked 'like'?

Remember, the ultimate purpose of Facebook is to earn money - you create pages and get pumped for money to increase the number of page views and 'Likes'. Oh, sorry - were you still under the impression that Facebook is free?

That may be true but it is easy to see how many of each emotion icon have been placed to a post. One place tells you the combined total of all likes, another tells you the breakdown. Just tried it, it works well.

I think we all know what facebook's business plan is. We do not need to be lectured on it.

21 hours ago, rkidlad said:

My god, you'll have a society of children who are terrified to say anything. 

You have. If you rated countries 1-10 in personal freedom then Thailand would be rated near the bottom as 2 at best. On the other hand, most are free to break the law at will, and they do, because they know that laws are rarely enforced. The latest one is the strict enforcement (the PM's words) of the rule against riding in the back of pickups. They still do, and the police still do nothing. And the same will happen with the laws just announced about fines for motorcycle riders. Thailand is a lawless country. It is absolutely impossible to discipline a Thai. And those who live here have to make the best of it (stand by for the 'If you don't like it then leave' brigade)

18 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

That`s a stupid question. If an average person cannot distinguish which posts are going to brass people off and those that won`t, must mean the average persons are all idiots. 

For example; if I click like to a video showing some playful adorable puppies, then that`s not going to offend anyone, but if I post or click like to a post that is demeaning to certain people or the Thai government or those in authority, then that is going to peeeese a lot of people off. I`m trying to explain this to you in the simplest way possible so you`ll understand.

I guess we should all congratulate you on your condescending explanation of what offending someone means.

You must be an outstanding advocate of Political Correctness.  Perhaps I could give you an example or two of how difficult it is not to offend at least some people in society at any given time. In a TV program, a comedian makes a joke about a mythical funeral or about someone in a hospital bed.  You can be sure that several thousand watchers in any country in the world going through such a recent experience coule be upset and offended.  Does that mean that all such jokes should be banned?

A comedian makes a joke about a couple getting divorced, or someone posts  on Facebook about their divorce, which receives some "likes".  Again thousands in that situation might well be upset  but does that mean that all jokes about divorce and such "likes" should be banned?  In virtually any situation you could think of, would be the cause of an offence to someone, so taking P.C to these lengths is ridiculous.  Remember that, according to the defamation laws, it seems that a specific person does not have to be defamed.  It could simply be "the police" or "the government", who claim to have been defamed.  Defamation is whatever the authorities want it to be. 

49 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Somsak Kaosuwan is saying "Do it my way or no way!"

To be expected of a regime wanting to reign in freedom of expression (usually a democratic principle) although the PM has claimed he is the "protector of democracy".

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Thailand has long stamped down on freedom of expression. Try talking openly about an institution we can't talk about. Hiding the truth means that it doesn't exist, right?

33 minutes ago, Keesters said:

That may be true but it is easy to see how many of each emotion icon have been placed to a post. One place tells you the combined total of all likes, another tells you the breakdown. Just tried it, it works well.

I think we all know what facebook's business plan is. We do not need to be lectured on it.

So the question is still not clear. The 'Like' on Facebook doesn't actually mean 'I like this'. It's more of a flag... It merely means that you reacted to it (and newer emoticons help you to add some character to your reaction...). I guess soon the term 'Like' must be replaced to 'react'.

So now we need to ask if we're being warned about 'Liking' or 'reacting'. Of course, this could be a simple case of hot air trying to scare everyone when no action is really going to be taken at all - but if the Junties take a dislike to anything, they can take action and say 'You were warned!'

7 hours ago, YetAnother said:

protector of democracy ??!! wow, truly out of touch

His quote; 

"Democracy will never die from Thailand because I am a democratic soldier but I stay in power because I want democracy to survive” - General Prayuth Chan-O-Cha

Perhaps he forgot? :whistling:

On 5/13/2017 at 2:34 PM, SABloke said:

Unfortunately "likes" don't carry timecodes so is it possible to "like" something that is legal one day and if that topic becomes illegal suddenly (happens a lot in Thailand) does that mean you could be charged with violating the computer/thought crimes act :huh: Safer not clicking on anything it seems. :mellow:

... and I think that can safely be called intimidation.  'Definitely nothing "free" about it!

'Very sad to see a once proud country abandoning its traditional freedoms and going down this road; even more sad to witness the public acceptance.  It was an immigrant who once told me that a man doesn't appreciate his freedom until he's lost it.

17 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

... and I think that can safely be called intimidation.  'Definitely nothing "free" about it!

'Very sad to see a once proud country abandoning its traditional freedoms and going down this road; even more sad to witness the public acceptance.  It was an immigrant who once told me that a man doesn't appreciate his freedom until he's lost it.

I don't think the public (Thai citizens) understand what's going on. They are continually fed "propaganda" that everything being done is for their benefit! :sad:

Sad to say but Thai citizens probably think that a 36 billion baht submarine is good (not thinking it could be better spent on education and health for them)! Like lambs to the slaughter, comes to mind.

5 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

I don't think the public (Thai citizens) understand what's going on. They are continually fed "propaganda" that everything being done is for their benefit! :sad:

Sad to say but Thai citizens probably think that a 36 billion baht submarine is good (not thinking it could be better spent on education and health for them)! Like lambs to the slaughter, comes to mind.

Some obviously do, but there's nothing they can do about it.

'Daddy told you to do this, Daddy told you to do that, and we always do what Daddy says'.

Any form of critical thinking might disagree with this, but there's a law to prevent this. Of course, if the law doesn't work people will turn a blind eye when you shoot the drugs lords (evidenced by the caches of weapons and bags of drugs in the police photo shoots which follow the clean ups....). The 'Drugs war' didn't end with Thaksin.

The most obvious flipside of spending on the submarine can be seen with the refusal to recruit nurses... spending must be kept under strict control. You buy a gun, you can't afford to eat dinner next week!

The previous god in our head actually said 'don't buy submarines, they'll get stuck in the mud in the Gulf of Thailand'... nobody listens to him though.

Right now it is possible that the only way out of the spiral is possibly a great deal of bloodshed. The country is currently reverting to 1932 status in terms of power structures. Democracy Monument is currently being re-imagined - certain items went missing from public places, and someone who reported this has been arrested because the people removing items of National Heritage do not want to make an issue out of this.

Remember, it is not simply an offence to show support, or LIKE. It is also an offence to FOLLOW some people on facebook - example possibly a Scottish reporter (Andrew MacG) who likes to re-post images circulating in the media. 

You're still free to do what you like - for the most part, the rules and regulations are not enforced. They have rules 'no grenades in shopping malls'. Nothing for you to worry about...

On 5/13/2017 at 9:31 AM, tracker1 said:

He clarified that the public could still express opinions via online channels, provided their comments do not infringe on other peoples’ rights or break any laws. That leaves things a bit open for clarification  when it comes to Laws and Peoples Rights !

With all respect but who decides what is appropriate or against the law other than totalitarian regimes or the dictator him self.

43 minutes ago, Farang hunter said:

With all respect but who decides what is appropriate or against the law other than totalitarian regimes or the dictator him self.

This is the whole point. There doesn't need to be any reason or logic.  They have the freedom to re-write history as they please, and lock up anyone who decides to tell other people about it... Total power.

My main question is: Why pass this ruling to apply ONLY to bikes? It seems they're trying to be polite by not including the middle classes in new cars... but then we know they don't bother enforcing the rules with cars anyway... if you don't trip one of the automatic cameras (set to 120km/h whatever the speed limit may be) so they may as well just say 'anyone without a licence will have their vehicle impounded'.

It's almost like they wish to advertise themselves as bullies (their efforts always need a soft target - a minority or ethnic group). Perhaps they blatantly do this to prove how far above us they have risen. I remember my stepfather's ultimate response to any question 'Because I said so' and he was never afraid to back it up with extreme violence...