Soi dogs with manners? "Mystery" of the lack of poop on the streets.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in a small soi  and we have 5 dogs on the street (2 are mine). Never seen any poop. It's a mystery. I think the dogs cross the small stream at the end of the street and poop in the farmland. Very considerate of them. I wish the chickens would do the same. Not sure what the city dogs do with there poop.

6 minutes ago, MW72 said:

I live in a small soi  and we have 5 dogs on the street (2 are mine). Never seen any poop. It's a mystery. I think the dogs cross the small stream at the end of the street and poop in the farmland. Very considerate of them. I wish the chickens would do the same. Not sure what the city dogs do with there poop.

Some dogs go in a certain spot every time, like a routine. I moved into my present house and found fresh mystery poop in my yard and driveway every morning. I fixed the gate, and found the poop just outside the gate now. One morning, I found the offending dog with his head stuck in the gate bars as he was trying to get into the yard do his business like he has for the last many years. I soaked him well with the hose, then sat down in front of him and had a long talk, muzzle to face before letting him go.  Haven't had a problem since.

It is the same out in my village, no vendors who would be cleaning up. Even my own dogs don't shit in our yard, I have seen them doing it in the nearby woods, tho.

The best plausible explanation I have for it is that the dogs are simply so hungry that they gobble up poo that they find in places such as the sois or even the villages. THo to be honest I can't say as I have seen this aside from my own dogs penchant for a few months last year of raiding people's garbage and bringing home soiled disposable diapers. Horrible but hilarious to watch one of our mutts one afternoon proudly prancing back home with a giant pamper's load in her jaws head held high and wagging it from side to side every so often. They wouldn't and still won't touch commercial dog food with a ten foot pole, which might say something about dog food either canned or dry. 

6 hours ago, LennyW said:

It dries out very quickly in the heat and blows away in the breeze....

I hope that is not the reason.  If so, considering the overabundant amount of soi dogs, think of the amount of canine fecal matter we breathe in day in, day out.  :sick:

I will never forget something I saw in Tonga (other place, same dog problem).

A little boy lowers his pants and craps.

A dog waits impatiently just behind him.

You can guess the rest.

Dogs like to eat crap!

Actually many animals do,  popular gourmet examples being: eels, pigs and Vietnamese pangasius.

23 hours ago, digbeth said:

there's usually a pile of sand for construction nearby or empty plot of land with plenty of dirt that dogs seem to prefer compared to the harsh concrete

I know where they poo. In my garden. There is dog  manure everywhere and I don't even own a dog. Possibly because I have the only garden with a lawn in our area. Seems to attract both dags and cats to use it as a toilet. Never see them poo in the street. Now trying to sprinkle coffee grounds everywhere because I was told dogs don't like the smell. Will have to wait to see if this works.

53 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Dog poo may actually be some of the cleaner stuff in the air here. It's organic innit?

Yeah, I never understood why folks got so upset about the high fecal matter content in the water off Jomtien and Pattaya beaches.  :licklips:

They poop & another dog comes behind them and eats it, an unsavory truth, I've watched them do this in my village.....

I could believe this. A lot of dogs are under fed and live off scraps. Dogs will eat anything.

On 5/13/2017 at 3:18 PM, Moonlover said:

They seem to show more common sense than their human counterparts. At least they don't roam across the street with a mobile stuck to their ear!

I used to watch a street dog in China who would sit waiting with pedestrians until the green 'safe to cross' light came on. Now that's one smart dog!

Dog's can't see green.  Maybe he could see cars though.  A regular canine rocket scientist.

Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 11.01.06 PM.png

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Actually many animals do,  popular gourmet examples being: eels, pigs and Vietnamese pangasius.

Coprophagia more often than not serves a purpose.  

https://wildlife-nature.knoji.com/coprophages-animals-that-eat-poop/

Farmed tilapia are introduced to pools after other fish species have been harvested to "clean" the pools.  Most farm raised fish are fed fish feed made from mostly chicken crap so it doesn't really matter which is your favorite.

5 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

Coprophagia more often than not serves a purpose.  

https://wildlife-nature.knoji.com/coprophages-animals-that-eat-poop/

Farmed tilapia are introduced to pools after other fish species have been harvested to "clean" the pools.  Most farm raised fish are fed fish feed made from mostly chicken crap so it doesn't really matter which is your favorite.

And it doesn't help to become vegetarian, as plants love to suck up dung too.....

I also have wondered about this.

Firstly, Im no expert but I think that true ferral soi dogs; that is without owners, do naturally by instinct follow their nose and go and do their business out of the way on waste ground, on verges etc. I think that, in the West, it is domesticated dogs that foul footpaths and roads as many dont know any better and do it wherever and whenever they get the chance in the short time their owners allow them out. If dog walkers walk their dogs on the pavement then that is where the scent is concentrated so that is where they want to foul. Most Thai dogs dont get walked.

Secondly, as someone else said, in the Tropics, the insects etc., take care of it pretty quickly. Also the tropical sun must soon fry it to a crisp on hot concrete and turns it to dust or it gets powerwashed away by the monsoon rains.

I often pondered the same thought. You have to watch where you step in Chicago! So many owners don't pick up after their dogs, but in Thailand I rarely see it on the sidewalk.

My guess is that the rats eat it. A dog turd is a tasty snack for rats. That's what an exterminator once told me. If you can't stop the dog waste in the alleys, you'll never eliminate the rats.