New To Thaivisa...

I would consider Thai women to be liberal, and the famed sex industry for bringing in more tourist dollars, but let's not let stereotyping got the better of us.

If you actually study how the sex industry comes about in Thailand, it's not meant for the typical Thais. Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe now, the social landscape has changed.

Prostitution as such did not arrive with Westerners, nor did it arrive with the Chinese wave of immigration.

From what I have heard and seen, the Thai sex industry caters to everyone who is interested in buying, and by trial and error has evolved into what it is today, with options for men from all over the world. Some places cater exclusively to Japanese, some to Thai, some to Westerners (and these are more obvious and open) yet others mainly to other nationalities or groupings.

There are lots of sleazy places here if you really go looking for them. But why go looking if you're not interested? Like me, you don't seem to be, which should be fair enough.

ok, to recap

i have now spoken to the thai consul in hull, UK.

they said i can only get a tourist VISA which is valid for 2 months at a time, then i have to go over border.

now, im still a bit confused here, does this 2 months give me a 30 day period after each 2 months? or is it purely the last border visit which gives me 30 days extra?

at the moment the way i see it is:

i arrive in thailand with my quadruple entry tourist visa. they stamp my passport.

i spend 2 months in chiang mai in my nice rented house. after the first 2 months i have to go to the boreder to get my passport re-stamped and my VISA checked or something.

then i can do this 3 more times before i have to come home.

so, at the end of my 8 months allowed (each re-entry is for 2 months) do i get an extra 30 days in thailand or do i have to come home then?

now, they also mentoned a non-immigration VISA which includes visiting friends/relatives. now the friend i am going with has an uncle living and working in pattaya. could we use him as a friend/relative and therefore get a non-immigration VISA to stay for a max of 12 months and only needing border crossing every 90 days?

if we could do this, would we have to live near him? or would we be ok just visiting him now and again?

thanks again, sorry if im being irritating!

If you got to the right consulate in the UK, you will get a non-im 'o' for 'Cultural Studies' or 'language studues' or the like. If you go to the wrong consulate, they only give you a tourist visa. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the UK.

ok, to recap

i have now spoken to the thai consul in hull, UK.

they said i can only get a tourist VISA which is valid for 2 months at a time, then i have to go over border.

now, im still a bit confused here, does this 2 months give me a 30 day period after each 2 months? or is it purely the last border visit which gives me 30 days extra?

at the moment the way i see it is:

i arrive in thailand with my quadruple entry tourist visa. they stamp my passport.

i spend 2 months in chiang mai in my nice rented house. after the first 2 months i have to go to the boreder to get my passport re-stamped and my VISA checked or something.

then i can do this 3 more times before i have to come home.

so, at the end of my 8 months allowed (each re-entry is for 2 months) do i get an extra 30 days in thailand or do i have to come home then?

now, they also mentoned a non-immigration VISA which includes visiting friends/relatives. now the friend i am going with has an uncle living and working in pattaya. could we use him as a friend/relative and therefore get a non-immigration VISA to stay for a max of 12 months and only needing border crossing every 90 days?

if we could do this, would we have to live near him? or would we be ok just visiting him now and again?

thanks again, sorry if im being irritating!

Hull is usually very laid back and accommodating. Try calling Birmingham. A multi O non-immigrant is your best option for cultural studies. If you go the tourist visa path, each 60 day entry can be extended by a further 30 days. The cost of each extension is 1900 baht, so it is worth pushing for that non-immigrant visa.

i think id rather work in a zoo or animal related place

No worries, I'll arrange an intro for you at Soi 7 & The Thermae.

You'll love it there! :o

Try the lady consul in B'ham for a Type 'O' visa, you never know you might get one. :D