Selling a house back home to buy one in Thailand etc

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP didn't post much details about his financial position or age, but visas have not been mentioned. If he stops working as a teacher, what visa will he be on? How will he meet the financial requirements of that visa/extension? My first priority would always be to ensure that your rights to the appropriate visa/extension are secured, or any future happiness could be on the line. And circumstances do change.

I got slightly burnt by this. When i first came to live in Thailand, I had the multi-entry 'O' visa which suited me at the time, but not enough for the retirement extension until i was 65. Then the rules changed, and i couldn't get the multi-entry any more. I spent 6 months scraping by on tourist visas and visa exempts until i could get the documents i needed for a marriage visa. And since then Brexit has put the retirement extension in doubt due to exchange rates, so i expect i will stay on the marriage visa extension. 

Secondly, if you are not working and have no income, you will become totally dependent on your wife - for every day living, health costs etc. If anything happens to your wife, what do you do then?

If you are going to be a trapeze artist, get the safety nets setup first.

Iv'e not read all the posts, I just haven't got the time.

"rickudons" advice is excllent...

I was in a similar situation...

So my solution was to exchange my house in the UK for a smaller house (in the UK) which I rent out to give me extra income on top of my pensions and thereby liberating some capital enabling us (my Thai wife and myself) to buy some land and build a house, and keeping a foothold in the UK.

And, the best advice is not to invest more in Thailand than you are prepared to lose. 

Rawhod, thanks for the commendation! I also agree with you about downsizing to liberate capital, rather than sell completely, because once you are out of the market sometimes cannot get back in if you are retired. My ex-wife got the UK house, so i very much doubt i will be a home owner again.:sad:

Having done the sell thing and moved here in 2012 from the nice leafy suburbs of London and a beautiful 5 bed house. My now 8 year old daughter talks of nothing else but going back to the UK and her beautiful home and the friends she had. The money gets pissed away and the house prices in London have increased by 30% or more! I dont like the oppressing heat here. I can't go for a walk without sweating buckets and coughing from fumes. The Immigration system is a nightmare.I end up staying in my 35sq mtr condo under air con nearly all day every day? This country does not have the outlets to enjoyment that London has. No theatre, no real comedy clubs. No local boozer to meet the locals and have a chat. I'd love to have a car but the prices are extortionate by comparison to UK, USA  and Canada etc. Also the death toll on the roads here is a nightmare. Some will say why are you here? Well my wife in her wisdom was home sick and wanted to return. I very reluctantly agreed but now feel for mine and my daughters sake I should not have! I had a good home and a good business, now they are gone forever. I am trying to make the best of it here but now my wife and I are estranged and she makes seeing my kid a nightmare. In short, every situation is different. If you are sure of your wife (Then again can you be sure of anyone) who sounds lovely and intelligent. I think you need to make the choice of making your life 'NOW' as great as possible. If you live in fear of the future you will not be happy in the now. If you have the alternative to rent the property in presumably the UK out, then I would do that. A friend of mine who returned to her own country and rented  out her 2 bed flat in London is doing very well from it. Assets are hard come by, respect them and protect them. If you are selling an asset then buy another asset here! Good luck with your decision.

it never ceases to amaze me-the many expats,mainly near retirement age-who move to thailand for a new life--thats great,but so many still struggle financialy...i would say never burn your bridges in home country,in most other countries,it would be better to retain property there,than buy in thailand.....i think the main thing people need to learn and plan for--is have a nest egg or some investments to cover you whilst living in thailand...buying condo or house in thailand is ok if you can afford to-but it will never be a good investment....the point being--plan early from a young age-then you will be comfortable where ever you live....

16 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

Having done the sell thing and moved here in 2012 from the nice leafy suburbs of London and a beautiful 5 bed house. My now 8 year old daughter talks of nothing else but going back to the UK and her beautiful home and the friends she had. The money gets pissed away and the house prices in London have increased by 30% or more! I dont like the oppressing heat here. I can't go for a walk without sweating buckets and coughing from fumes. The Immigration system is a nightmare.I end up staying in my 35sq mtr condo under air con nearly all day every day? This country does not have the outlets to enjoyment that London has. No theatre, no real comedy clubs. No local boozer to meet the locals and have a chat. I'd love to have a car but the prices are extortionate by comparison to UK, USA  and Canada etc. Also the death toll on the roads here is a nightmare. Some will say why are you here? Well my wife in her wisdom was home sick and wanted to return. I very reluctantly agreed but now feel for mine and my daughters sake I should not have! I had a good home and a good business, now they are gone forever. I am trying to make the best of it here but now my wife and I are estranged and she makes seeing my kid a nightmare. In short, every situation is different. If you are sure of your wife (Then again can you be sure of anyone) who sounds lovely and intelligent. I think you need to make the choice of making your life 'NOW' as great as possible. If you live in fear of the future you will not be happy in the now. If you have the alternative to rent the property in presumably the UK out, then I would do that. A friend of mine who returned to her own country and rented  out her 2 bed flat in London is doing very well from it. Assets are hard come by, respect them and protect them. If you are selling an asset then buy another asset here! Good luck with your decision.

This is an interesting post. I lived a long time in London and it is the best city in the world in my opinion. I can see why you are disappointed.

Ive decided to proceed with selling. If it doesnt work I will rent it out again. My house is in a small redneck town that is certainly not comparable to London. I know that I dont fit into the place and will never return.

I hope that I too dont end up in the same situation as you re the wife. Mine seems genuinely kind hearted but who knows. You should meet another thai lady.

good luck

On 18/05/2017 at 8:24 AM, funandsuninbangkok said:

Put your money in REITs in Hong Kong brokerage account. Simple, 6% return , 5$ fee for a trade. 

Sell and wire money to your Thai bank when you need it. 

Rent in Thailand. Invest offshore

can you recommend the name of a reputable broker in Hk? please write it here or PM me. thanks