Thai police plan to minimise road congestion as schools return

webfact

Police plan to minimise road congestion as schools return
By The Nation

3ee5efb9caa5470410e0d84d0fdedb85.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- With most Bangkok schools opening for the first semester on Tuesday, the Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) is planning measures to cope with traffic congestion during the morning and evening rush hours around key school areas.

Pol Maj-General Jirapat Phumjit, deputy chief of the MPB who oversees traffic regulations in the city, said on Sunday that all precincts had been instructed to dispatch policemen from 5am to enable traffic flows towards city areas. The city’s Thesakij officials would also help alleviate jams in front of large schools. 

Police had also prepared tools such as trucks and battery-charging wires to help solve the problem of broken-down cars, he added. 

Jirapat said that in a recent meeting with schools and parents, police had requested children be dropped off at school before 7.30am, which meant they could leave their houses around 5am, to avoid congestion of commuters travelling to work a little later.

The schools were also asked to inform parents about recommended routes.

Police instructed companies involved in road construction or repair projects not to let their tools or machinery obstruct rush-hour traffic.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315191

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-15

"Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) is planning measures to cope with traffic congestion during the morning and evening rush hours..."

As a first step, how about teaching the police how to use a whistle? It is supposed to be blown when there is a change in the direction of traffic. However, in Thailand, they police continuously blow it, without any idea of what they are doing. As if to show off that "I have a whistle. Whoopie."

I find that traffic seems to move more efficiently when there are no police interfering with it. 

Edited by jaltsc

Police plan to minimise road congestion as schools return

Step 1: Police switch traffic lights to AUTO and step out of the boxes and enforce traffic laws.

Pol Maj-General Jirapat Phumjit, deputy chief of the MPB who oversees traffic regulations in the city, said on Sunday that all precincts had been instructed to dispatch policemen from 5am to enable traffic flows towards city areas.

Oh dear, I foresee roads into the city with lights on "green" for 10min at a time with side roads getting about 30sec of "green". [emoji20]

Probably best if police refer to my first point instead [emoji6]

Doing away with police road blocks might help with traffic flow.  I ran into one yesterday causing tailbacks of 500 metres.  There must have been 16 BIB (Bandits in Brown) greedily shoving their snouts in.  How much overtime is paid out on a Sunday morning?  How many cops do you ever see after dark when real police work should be done?

1 hour ago, jaltsc said:

"Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) is planning measures to cope with traffic congestion during the morning and evening rush hours..."

As a first step, how about teaching the police how to use a whistle? It is supposed to be blown when there is a change in the direction of traffic. However, in Thailand, they police continuously blow it, without any idea of what they are doing. As if to show off that "I have a whistle. Whoopie."

I find that traffic seems to move more efficiently when there are no police interfering with it. 

No, no... This is thailand. More whistles, more horns, more noise, more chaos.... Problem solved....

I agree, police slow the traffic ridiculously.

Having carparks comulsary for schools when plans are drawn up would be a winner. At my kids school people park in the middle of a T interesction diagonally which the front gate of the school and it holds up traffic in every direction. Cant figure out why the bib has a whistle but doesnt blow it there... 

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another string to their bow, street artists !

If they rely want to minimize congestion on the roads when the school starts then they should quit setting up road blocks on the busy streets to collect their money from the lesser influenced drivers causing long delays that add hours for people going to work or school.Arresting the speeders would be good ,please try that for once.

53 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

I didn't see or I completely missed it, mention about mass public transit for school kids.  1 kid per car versus 35 kids per bus.  

Use a BUS and loose face unheard of ?????? mummy or daddy has to show how much wealth they have and the fact they are special and above any old instruction from the powers that be 

5 minutes ago, dieseldave1951 said:

Use a BUS and loose face unheard of ?????? mummy or daddy has to show how much wealth they have and the fact they are special and above any old instruction from the powers that be 

what if the bus had a mercedes emblem on the front?

Police shown painting zebra stripes on the road curb.

What does this mean in terms of traffic control?

On a road surface means warning for pedestrian traffic, ie., road crossing. But on the curb?

Very confusing.

Sure. Leave 5am, drop the kids off at 530am at the LOCKED school where they can continue wait 2 hours. Real smart idea. Sheesh!

You can also avoid the evening rush "hour" (normally 3.30pm till 8.30pm) by picking your kids up at 9pm...I'm sure they'll still be there ;)

Make the kids walk or take a bus to school. This pampering of offspring does them no good. They'll grow up expecting to be chauffeured everywhere.

It's just the parents showing off that they can afford a car.