Going Down: All the times farangs were forced into humiliating apologetic 'wais'

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Hmmm what would be appropriate gesture when my Western culture is disrespected by demanding bride payment? Check is in the mail?

Way too few words there , to get your meaning across 

2 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Hmmm what would be appropriate gesture when my Western culture is disrespected by demanding bride payment? Check is in the mail?

That would be a swift 180°

and as fast as your l'ill hooves'll take you out of Isaan

Many of those who transgressed were drunk. That needs to be stressed. And, there was no physical harm done. The need to apologize publicly to all of Thailand is absurd and malicious. Not all Thais did see the transgression. 

I remember doing a bit of public grinding in a public lift once in my home country. It was an enclosed space, but had there been cameras. ... I had been drinking too much. I rarely do. Our brain do function differently when we are drunk. I know many Thais who drink and drive ... and kill. I know many of you like to speed and cut people off. How many times have you scared me and upset me.while I was obeying the speed limits and you were not. I will send videos to the authority next time it happens. Of course, you can always darken those windows, but not your licence plate, cowards.

Of course, Pattaya and BKK sex shows are okay! LOL

So, is a French kiss going to put you in jail now? How about holding hands?

Here is a piece of advice for those Thais who have never gotten out of Thailand. How about walking away? How about shouting to stop? Why the public shaming, Thais? Revenge? How about this way of solving the problem, Thais? You made them lose face.

All countries and citizens need to analyze their customs and behaviour, their laws from time to time. ALL people. As it stands, all this is incoherent and driven by greed and revenge.

55 minutes ago, tonray said:

Why?  That's the accepted way of saying 'sorry' in this culture. Those who ignore cultural norms get less respect here usually being the ones laughed at behind the scenes 

Why ? Because it was funny as hell. Sure let the Thais do their smile and bow and wai if that earns them respect, don't see much of that in BKK anyway.

My wife and kids seldom wai and when and if it's only to family elders never a stranger.

Its part of Thai life and culture

Admitting that you were wrong or did something wrong

Holding (both) your hands up and admitting that you were wrong

Some Westerners may be embarrassed by this , as the Wai gesture is similar to praying in Church .

If the Wai was a "thumbs-up" , felangs would    have no problem with it

Its just the similarities between the waiing and praying that causes them embarrassment

My advice having lived hear many years is to  get into the habit to “wai”  as it works wonders in creating a good relationship with Thais.

Its also amusing to see  a Thai scramble to “wai”  you back as it caught them by surprise .

“wai”   whenever you meet a Thai especially an official ( ie police officer, immigration, Bank Teller etc)

Especially “wai”  if you inadvertently bump into a Thai, it will totally defuse the situation

It just sets the tone and yes they respect for you for observing Thai culture.

Remember the old adage : "When in Rome ......."

58 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Getting your wallet out would be the correct move.

You're in Thailand now Dorothy.

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

No just a man who will not cow-tow to corrupt clowns.

gotta love that one Colin, the cow-tow. I got a nasty kick on the shins once from one of our cattle for tying up her up in the pen before she was ready. Never try to tow a cow, better to stand behind with a bamboo stick.

Non-Thais cannot get a "way" right unless they've been living here for decades and the BiB know that. It is all about face; most Aliens have no face to lose in the first place.

So a Spaniard is enjoying the company of an unknown Russian and has to "wai" - interesting. The wifey said that Thai workers in all those non-existing places of ill repute cannot "wai" when caught as their hands are full with the little non-receiptable contributions to the coffee tills of the BiB. 

The Spaniard is an idiot but don't give the story more attention and space than it deserves. Much better episodes of copulations are available nightly all over the country in all those non-existing bars, karaoke lounges, Turkish baths and some of the Spas! 

I think it's rather useful.  It seems to me that you can do all manner of horrible things and magically make it all disappear just by giving a wai.  Seems a cheap and easy way out of trouble to me ... a get out of jail free card so to speak.  Of course if the wai does not do the trick then becoming a monk for a few days will solve everything.

It's all superficial nonsense but I think the Thais need that kind of prompting as, in normal circumstances, getting them to admit they are wrong or take responsibility, can be like pulling teeth.

Could be worse.  At least the Thais don't bury you in the ground up to your neck, then hurl stones at your head until you're dead. 

Edited by 55Jay

To me the article points out that there are many Westerners coming on holiday in Thailand that do not know how to act . If one is caught having sex in public in a Western country- they will be arrested and charged with indecent exposure and if convicted get a hefty fine and possibly be listed as a sex offender and have this blot on their record for life.  They got off easy in Thailand with a wai and a small fine.  

Unfortunately, people like this make all Thais think Westerners are drunks and perverts and that affects how we as expats are initially viewed.  Good riddance to them all/

Just now, 55Jay said:

It's all superficial nonsense, but at least the Thais don't bury you in the ground up to your neck, then hurl stones at your head until you're dead. 

For many of the people in the pictures maybe that would be a better way to handle it.

I actually think it's a nice part of Thai culture .... the wai thing.

Took me quite a while to work out the pecking order of who should wai first, and on what occasion a wai is appropriate.

The locals in my soi tell my wife "husband good man ... he say hello everyone and wai with respect."

I agree with a previous poster .... when in Rome etc etc .... and it takes so little effort really.

2 hours ago, anotheruser said:

The fun thing about embedding a Mymatenate vid here is he is so hated. So hated that people can't help but click that little prick's link and make him richer. :)

dont hate him ,dont  know him but plssssssssssss pass the sick bucket

3 hours ago, Mongk0l said:

I find it vexing that farangs choose to come to Thailand — because they get treated here with respect and affection they would never see in their home countries — and then spend their time criticizing the country's customs, practices, laws and so on.

Where I am the Thai people are glad to see me and the other farang 'cause they can double their prices.