Home phone?

Spaniel

Do you still have a land line phone at home?     We do.     It hasn't rang in so long that I thought maybe it was broke but when I checked  it a few minutes ago I got that reassuring dial tone.      It only cost B107  p/month (ToT) so it's not a big financial decision whether to keep it or cancel the service.       Wife and I both use our smart phones for calls.      Kind of old fashioned but doesn't seem right not to have a home phone.     Their must be others who still have a home phone and if so why do you keep it?

Edited by Spaniel
add additional info

We had ToT line from 1978 removed about 8 years ago but still have True (which will revert to ToT in October that we have had since they installed in 1992 and it gets used often by wife who will not carry mobile - so it is main contact number for family and merchants.  

Outside Thailand, haven't used a land line phone since, gosh, 2001 I think?  Work always issued me a cell phone and that crept in as the new norm.  Did have one here initially for internet and phone service, but everyone had a cell phone by then.   Got rid of the landline when we switched to 3BB for internet. 

My Mom (in the US) is still old fashioned.  Landline with an answering machine.  She has a cheap "dumb" cell phone, not a "smart" one.  Turns it on when she leaves the house, off when at home. 

I live in the jungle......countryside of Udon.  The landline was a lifeline for our first 10 years or so because you couldn't use a cell phone for lack of a signal.  In the past year, a cell phone tower popped up within half a km of our home.....4 bars all the time.  This past month, I went to TOT and had the line disconnected.  100 baht is 100 baht.

Must have been in the late 90s, early 2000s when the family had a fixed line phone.

Some time before the first public phone booth appeared in the village. What an event.

There was a bus from ToT travelling to the villages and explaining how to use a telephone, what a prefix is, how the dial tones sound ... :tongue:

As a visitor I used the line with a 56kBit modem for internet. Wow that was adventurous. :biggrin:

Can't tell exactly when we abandoned.

At the sister in law's house it was abandoned after the boys (now around 30 yr old) piled up a bill of 5000 Baht for some "vanity numbers".

Just last year I cut and removed the lines hanging at the house for so many years.

FAX would be the only argument for land line.

I sent two faxes in six years with the help of a mate who has a premium email provider with a FAX service. So a nobrainer.

Mobile coverage is tremendous nowadays.

As you say it only costs 107 baht a month , it gets used very very rarely , but sometimes when free calls on the mobile are bad i get a call on the landline from the UK its far cheaper for them to phone it than a mobile , so worth keeping .

16 minutes ago, i claudius said:

on the landline from the UK its far cheaper for them to phone it than a mobile

That's indeed a criteria if you get frequent calls from home.

Got one in the apartment, pay 100 baht a month, I've never used it, don't even know the number !!
Only rang 3 times in last year, from apartment reception to tell gf she has some package from her internet wheeling and dealing !!
Frightens the shinola out of me when it rings [emoji16]

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Got one in the apartment, pay 100 baht a month, I've never used it, don't even know the number !!
Only rang 3 times in last year, from apartment reception to tell gf she has some package from her internet wheeling and dealing !!
Frightens the shinola out of me when it rings emoji16.png

I'd pull the plug and get it disconnected and get 2 extra beers. :biggrin: