Over-charge in 7-11 stores

blackion

I have been over-charged many times in 7-11 shops. If I do check the bill, and say they over-charged, which is basically stealing, they will say they have simply mistaken. But they always "mistake" towards charging you more, never less. 
So, let's say if they can overcharge 20 customers for 15 baht a day, that runs to 300 baht per day, 9000 baht per month. Like a second salary. 
And, they mostly like to do that to foreigners, because foreigners cannot read Thai. 
I believe it's quite rampant, I was overcharged like 30 times in one year. 
Today was a new style though: the cashier charged me 266 baht and when I asked for receipt he refused to give it, because he understood I know Thai and will be checking. So, I had to call other attendants and eventually they printed the bill, and my guess was right, he over-charged. So nowdays it's a hassle to get a correct charge. 

How do they over charge you in a 7-11 ? The system is electronic with bar-codes etc... 

The total is simply a number (the price) regardless of the Thai Script identifying each item. 

Unless you are referring to short changing ???... which I guess does happen and possibly happens where the staff are more tainted, perhaps in areas with a higher footfall of drunk tourists who won't check their change etc...

That said: I've never noticed short changing myself. 

... by charging for three bottles of water instead of two, for example, where they'll scan one and enter the number for the multiple. Has happened to me (non-tourist area), and as op points out, rarely in your favour. Supermarkets are worse. No Thai bashing here, but it happens quite a bit.

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

... by charging for three bottles of water instead of two, for example, where they'll scan one and enter the number for the multiple.

How does this get into the cashier's pocket as the system has recorded the amount of cash collected?

Unless of course you are suggesting that the management are in on it.

Short changing is however rampant, we rarely use the Seven but when we do Wifey checks the bill and change religiously. After being caught out a couple of times the staff don't bother trying it on now.

29 minutes ago, Crossy said:

How does this get into the cashier's pocket as the system has recorded the amount of cash collected?

Customer One buys two bottles of water but is charged for three. Three are rung up but a receipt is not issued (in case the customer actually looks at it and works out that he has been "done"). All the money is put in the till.

Customer Two buys one bottle of water and does not get a receipt. This purchase is not rung up and the cashier pockets the cash.

The stock level is correct and the till balances but the cashier has stolen the value of one bottle of water. A simple scam in a land of scams.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Customer One buys two bottles of water but is charged for three. Three are rung up but a receipt is not issued (in case the customer actually looks at it and works out that he has been "done"). All the money is put in the till.

Customer Two buys one bottle of water and does not get a receipt. This purchase is not rung up and the cashier pockets the cash.

The stock level is correct and the till balances but the cashier has stolen the value of one bottle of water. A simple scam in a land of scams.

Now correct  me if im wrong did i not read you saying thais are stupid and have no brain power. If your little scam solving is to be belived they must be pretty switched on.

This is complete bs. Been here since 2004, always check my purchases and change before leaving 7/11. I've never being short changed. In fact a few times I've been given too much change. This has more to do with poor numeracy skills and is a consequence of Thailand's wonderful education system.

Though I've never had any problem at my local "7", the one time I paid my electricity bill at a different 7-11, I got scammed big time...It was a B5000 elect bill..cashier took the money but didn't actually scan it into the register.  My bad was not paying attention and not checking the receipt.

I had no clue until the power authority guy showed and pulled my meter.  I dug out the receipts and there it was...zeros on the payment line.

I did contact 7-11 and they  actually found the transaction on video.  They told me it was that clerks last day on the job but refused to reimburse me.  I made a complaint to the consumer office but nothing happened.

It was a B5000 lesson in receipt checking.

If only they would leave me alone with their receipts :biggrin:

Never I can remember not having got one of these "micro scripts" which will land in the bin outside the door.

I watch the scanning process.

I always have a rough idea what the sum will be.

I have plenty of small notes and even coins, so I try to pay exactly or with a "round" amount to return.

Now call me smart :cheesy:

Maybe two or three short changing attempts (I call them error) in six years.

And you can call me a good guy too. :biggrin:

Once gave back 200 Baht excess change at Big C.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Now correct  me if im wrong did i not read you saying thais are stupid and have no brain power.

You are wrong.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

If your little scam solving is to be belived they must be pretty switched on.

Not really. It's a very common scam throughout the world. Intelligent and well-crafted scams are much harder to spot.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Out of curiosity, how long was if before they came to cut you off ?

I'm not really sure but before I got the following bill which would have shown the discrepancy. 

I bear some responsibility in that the B5000 payment was for 2 months service, I was a month behind so the turn off was because of the unpaid earlier month.

4 minutes ago, dddave said:

I'm not really sure but before I got the following bill which would have shown the discrepancy. 

I bear some responsibility in that the B5000 payment was for 2 months service, I was a month behind so the turn off was because of the unpaid earlier month.

I just got a new Electricity bill today and I just remember that I hadnt paid the last one yet , although the new bill doesnt show the previous unpaid bill

Better go down the PEA and get it paid today

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And you can call me a good guy too. :biggrin:

Once gave back 200 Baht excess change at Big C.

Several years ago, I gave a B500 note to a BTS cashier at the change window.  She gave me back change for B1000...I didn't realize it until after I had stepped away from the window and was putting the bills into my wallet.  I immediately returned to the  window where she was serving the next customer.  When I tried to get her attention, she angrily waved me away, thinking I was cutting line so I waited until her line was clear and then tried to explain what had happened and return the excess money. She indignantly assumed I was trying some scam and totally dismissed my efforts to do the right thing.  I finally gave up. Her snotty face saving stupidity would almost certainly have cost her B500 when her tray came up short. I kind of hoped at that point, dawn may have broken and she'd realize what she had done.

23 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I just got a new Electricity bill today and I just remember that I hadnt paid the last one yet , although the new bill doesnt show the previous unpaid bill

Better go down the PEA and get it paid today

There should be a "Pay By" date at the top of the bill.  You shouldn't be shut off as long as you pay before that date.

16 hours ago, daveAustin said:

... by charging for three bottles of water instead of two, for example, where they'll scan one and enter the number for the multiple. Has happened to me (non-tourist area), and as op points out, rarely in your favour. Supermarkets are worse. No Thai bashing here, but it happens quite a bit.

OK. So you are saying that a low-level employee barely making 6k bht a month, thinks they can barcode scan your water 3 times, and pocket the change because only 2 bottles were put on the counter? They would be fired the moment the till count was done.

I'm not talking about short changing. Unless one is drunk, it's difficult to short change. Let's say the cashier machine shows 250b. You gave 500b note, so you know you should get 250b change. 

But let's say, you bought products for 250b, but was charged 270b. The cashier machine shows you 270,the receipt is for 270 and your rough estimate is about 270. Now, unless you read Thai, or remember price of every item, and will check item by item you won't find you have been over charged. 

Out of 30 times or so I was given incorrect amount, all 30 times the amount I was requested to pay was higher than the actual was higher than the real amount. , it's no bad math or mistake. 

How  they do that?  Sometimes they enter bar code by  hand.  You bought  smoky hotdog for 10 b?  They write big bite hotdog for 17.rOr bacon hotdog for 20.Or foot long for 27.

Sometimes  they will increase number of items. 

But I found former they do more often. 

If someone got a gf who used to work in 7-11 she might shed more light on this. In my opinion this scam will only work if all shift is involved. They will check how much stock remains vs money, and pocket the excess money. Or the management is involved. 

Now,  the last cashier even refused to give me the printed receipt. Why he would refuse, if he wouldn't know that he overcharged? So I had to insist to get it, and voila - overcharged. They rescanned all items and found it, but again, only after I insisted. 

Btw, do the 7-11 has email for their HQ or complaints? 

17 hours ago, claffey said:

This is complete bs. Been here since 2004, always check my purchases and change before leaving 7/11. I've never being short changed. In fact a few times I've been given too much change. This has more to do with poor numeracy skills and is a consequence of Thailand's wonderful education system.

I have had the same experience. I'm sure that some clerks are not honest, but very few have short changed me. 

8 hours ago, blackion said:

If someone got a gf who used to work in 7-11 she might shed more light on this. In my opinion this scam will only work if all shift is involved. They will check how much stock remains vs money, and pocket the excess money. Or the management is involved. 

Now,  the last cashier even refused to give me the printed receipt. Why he would refuse, if he wouldn't know that he overcharged? So I had to insist to get it, and voila - overcharged. They rescanned all items and found it, but again, only after I insisted. 

Btw, do the 7-11 has email for their HQ or complaints? 

http://www.7eleven.co.th/contact.php

02/711 7744

7 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I have had the same experience. I'm sure that some clerks are not honest, but very few have short changed me. 

Same for me. Shorted a couple of times, given to much change a couple of times over a decade. Same anywhere in the world.

There is a independent supermarket near me. I've caught them 3 times and it was always the same girl. The first time I got all the way home put my shopping away sat down thought that Bill was a bit high. I got the receipt out if the bin checked it was about 300THB to much. I bought some sponges to do the dishes with but she typed in the quantity the same as the price. So she charged me for 25 of the things. By the time I went back she was gone. So I spoke to the supervisor and she went out the back and disappeared for ages. I got someone to get her and she said moment please. I said no took her around to the box where they came from pointed out there wasn't even 20 missing from Box. And she got my money out if the till. Another time I bought some chicken for 28THB same girl same thing charged me for 28 peaces. I then pointed it out she cancelled the receipt and refund my money but when I asked for a second receipt she said sorry can't do. So I think this was the scam change the quantity when some buys a lot of shopping then cancel the purchase when they have gone and pocket the difference . Another time same thing again with chicken. This time I told her 3 times you do to me. I made sure I used the same girl as I wanted to catch her in the act but she was only there for a few more weeks. I might be wrong about the whole thing but she still makes a lot of mistakes so shouldn't be on the checkout anyway. And I hoped they sacked her.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

they are religious about their plastic bags and small receipts. 

on an overcharge the clerk will give change and pretend to toss the receipt away like its not important. thats how you know something weird happened.

4 hours ago, juice777 said:

There is a independent supermarket near me. I've caught them 3 times and it was always the same girl. The first time I got all the way home put my shopping away sat down thought that Bill was a bit high. I got the receipt out if the bin checked it was about 300THB to much. I bought some sponges to do the dishes with but she typed in the quantity the same as the price. So she charged me for 25 of the things. By the time I went back she was gone. So I spoke to the supervisor and she went out the back and disappeared for ages. I got someone to get her and she said moment please. I said no took her around to the box where they came from pointed out there wasn't even 20 missing from Box. And she got my money out if the till. Another time I bought some chicken for 28THB same girl same thing charged me for 28 peaces. I then pointed it out she cancelled the receipt and refund my money but when I asked for a second receipt she said sorry can't do. So I think this was the scam change the quantity when some buys a lot of shopping then cancel the purchase when they have gone and pocket the difference . Another time same thing again with chicken. This time I told her 3 times you do to me. I made sure I used the same girl as I wanted to catch her in the act but she was only there for a few more weeks. I might be wrong about the whole thing but she still makes a lot of mistakes so shouldn't be on the checkout anyway. And I hoped they sacked her.

To me it just sounds like a pretty incompetent server who quite frankly could not give a toss about her job and is half asleep.

To me it just sounds like a pretty incompetent server who quite frankly could not give a toss about her job and is half asleep.

Maybe, but it was always the same one. either way she shouldn't be working on a check out.