Why is marriage in Thailand selfish?

In the West most couples will normally work together to achieve the common goal (ex, educate kids, buy a house, take care of retirement).

Here it seems like the marriage is self centered and narcissistic. Even (some) Western men who come to Thailand will not think twice before dumping their wife for the younger one.

My only guess is because Western society in general is more civilized and there are laws put in place, so people don't get treated like dirt.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The western guys here are in a position of power..and like everyone else they misuse this power. (not everyone of course). If they have protected their assets well its virtually impossible for the Thai wife to get anything. So its cheap.. and easy to get a younger hotter model.

In the West they would have to pay more.. and of course its looked down upon if you just replace your wife because she is old.

But not all guys are like that just like not all Thai woman are money grabbers. 

4 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

My only guess is because Western society in general is more civilized and there are laws put in place, so people don't get treated like dirt.

So what's your point what you post is credible but with respect simplistic.

My simple view of marriage is it either works out or it don't it's more of a 2 way thing wherever you settle with.

There are many different scenarios that can come along in life making it complicated without mentioning the many situations.

I could tell my life marriage story but don't want to write a paper back post on TV.  :biggrin:

On 18.5.2017 at 3:27 AM, robblok said:

The western guys here are in a position of power..and like everyone else they misuse this power. (not everyone of course). If they have protected their assets well its virtually impossible for the Thai wife to get anything. So its cheap.. and easy to get a younger hotter model.

In the West they would have to pay more.. and of course its looked down upon if you just replace your wife because she is old.

"If they have protected their assets well".

Hmm... Seems to me, most Farangs do not protect their assets well. For starters: Buying the land and building the house DURING marriage, instead of BEFORE. ***

Having taken this road to happiness, some Farangs may find, that it is no more feasible to go "for a jounger and hotter model", because the financial situation will not allow it anymore. = Stuck somewhere in paradise, with no options left.

*** Thai wifes prefer it, if the major investments are done DURING marriage and not before.

Selfishness, selfishness........
Cheers.

Where Thai - Western marriage is concerned: Western women have a pretty myopic view, whereas Thai women can see the hidden attraction of having a husband 3 times their weight and at more than double their age.

Not to mention the husband being dumb enough to believe that their child bride is actually marrying them for their charming personality and physique

..and what is the divorce rate where you come from??   ...and what is the incidence of domestic violence where you come from... your question is loaded with false assumptions and prejudice..  people get married for the right and wrong reasons everywhere.. western countries are no exception..

" Even (some) Western men who come to Thailand will not think twice before dumping their wife for the younger one. "

Losers. Ought to follow Trump's lead: import the wives to home country and sign non-disclosure agreements in anticipation of expiration date on female

It's all about financial security here for the wife and her family.

Most Thai women will say, "nobody cares."

For this reason most marriages here fail as in the rest of the world.

It's a disposable society and the elderly suffer the most. 

27 minutes ago, Kabula said:

..from what I've seen after living here for 10 years with a Thai family ..  most marriage do not fail.. ..I don't know what the figures are but probably no different to western countries.. as is Thai tradition the elderly in our family are given support and respect from their children... this tradition is under pressure as younger people move to cities and become urbanized..  As a generalization those whose marriages do break up are given family support  ... a roof over their heads if needed.. extended family taking care of children while parent s work.. not a lot.. but in a country where there is no government support for the  unemployed.. and not much for the elderly the extended family system works.. but no doubt this traditional system is under pressure with a rapidly changing culture.. 

On 05/18/2017 at 9:27 AM, robblok said:

Nice post..respectful and chock full of commonsense. It eont go down well

37 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Most thai women.

oh great we have both an expert and a statistician.

On 5/18/2017 at 0:43 PM, Kwasaki said:

So what's your point what you post is credible but with respect simplistic.

My simple view of marriage is it either works out or it don't it's more of a 2 way thing wherever you settle with.

There are many different scenarios that can come along in life making it complicated without mentioning the many situations.

I could tell my life marriage story but don't want to write a paper back post on TV.  :biggrin:

Go ahead and post it. Make my day!!

18 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

..from what I've seen after living here for 10 years with a Thai family ..  most marriage do not fail.. ..I don't know what the figures are but probably no different to western countries.. as is Thai tradition the elderly in our family are given support and respect from their children... this tradition is under pressure as younger people move to cities and become urbanized..  As a generalization those whose marriages do break up are given family support  ... a roof over their heads if needed.. extended family taking care of children while parent s work.. not a lot.. but in a country where there is no government support for the  unemployed.. and not much for the elderly the extended family system works.. but no doubt this traditional system is under pressure with a rapidly changing culture.. 

Well you make sense cannot say that for a lot of posters though

14 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

I've lived in Bangkok, the playground for financially needy ladies for 12 years.  I lived with a Thai women for 7 years. Not one person that I have known, including her friends that married foreign man stayed together.  That includes Thai women that married and went back to their husband's home country. 

The Internet has made both men and women better dealers. Not healthy for relationships.  The worldwide economic retreat breaks up marriages, especially when the husband cuts the cash flow.

There is a reason why I said most!  There are always exceptions. 

Just now, elgordo38 said:

Come on transam I thought you would put the pedal to the metal on this topic. Must be feeling poorly??

I have my "line", but if the thread stays then I will regroup and..........smile3.gif.031c3852988d4c8a10a75b7939f95409.gif

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

Don't turn into a paper tiger on me now. 

No fear, eating my dinner and company with a beer is soon to to turn up....I must keep important things in order....:giggle:.....They may want me to sing too.....sarcastic-applause-smiley-emoticon.gif.6ea139c4a33b0870629a580703832df5.gif

On 5/18/2017 at 8:12 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Utter BS. Males get treated like dirt in the Family Law courts, haven't you noticed? That kind of civilisation I can do without.

I'm 66, my wife is 56, we've been married almost 9 years now, and still going strong. Her son was 25 when we got married, and I had some concerns.  No need to.  He loves me as his father, and even legally changed his last name to mine the day I legally adopted him, "to honor my father".  We have a very nice house, new car, a couple of bikes, and a good life. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones. 

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

Utter BS. Males get treated like dirt in the Family Law courts, haven't you noticed? That kind of civilisation I can do without.

Women do as well. I have a female friend who had a baby with a loser and now she has to pay maintenance for him etc. Nightmare is the family laws of the nanny state

• On the western side of the fence:

man marry woman, to make her life better, and

woman marry man, to make his life better

• On the eastern (Thailand, and many eastern countries for that matter)  side of the fence:
  • gender non-specific

"I want it all, and I want it now"

29 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I'm 66, my wife is 56, we've been married almost 9 years now, and still going strong. Her son was 25 when we got married, and I had some concerns.  No need to.  He loves me as his father, and even legally changed his last name to mine the day I legally adopted him, "to honor my father".  We have a very nice house, new car, a couple of bikes, and a good life. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones. 

I'm 72 my wife is 45  we have been together 10 years now and have a great relationship.. 1 step daughter 24 now.. I put her through high school and 4 years uni..she has a good job now..   I feel their love and the love and respect of the extended family.. I have  quite a large group of expat friends with similar stories..   there have been  couple of disasters but not that many.. maybe I'm lucky too..  it seems that most of the stories of love gone wrong start in BKK, Pataya or Phuket..  maybe 'looking for love in all the wrong places'..... ?

6 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

I'm 72 my wife is 45  we have been together 10 years now and have a great relationship.. 1 step daughter 24 now.. I put her through high school and 4 years uni..she has a good job now..   I feel their love and the love and respect of the extended family.. I have  quite a large group of expat friends with similar stories..   there have been  couple of disasters but not that many.. maybe I'm lucky too..  it seems that most of the stories of love gone wrong start in BKK, Pataya or Phuket..  maybe 'looking for love in all the wrong places'..... ?

I'd been to BKK, Pattaya and Phuket before, and swore I'd never marry a woman from any of those places.  10 years ago I came to Chiang Mai for the first time.  Met my wife here while on a 2 week vacation.  She worked at the front desk of a major hotel.  Kept in touch when I went back home.  Came back a month later, we spent 2 weeks together.  Came back the 3rd time and married her.  Been together ever since, and no way would I trade her for a "younger model". lol