NLA proposes VAT hike to 8 per cent

NLA proposes VAT hike to 8 per cent

By The Nation

b91b7a3ddb94baa49911bd09fb0bce00.png

The National Legislative Assembly has agreed that value-added tax (VAT) should be increased from 7 per cent to 8 per cent.

However, the final decision on the tax hike will be made by the Cabinet after the NLA submits its proposal for approval on Thursday.

The proposed VAT hike is part of tax reform package proposed by NLA’s committee on economy, finance and fiscal.

Increasing VAT by 1 per cent would result in Bt60 billion to Bt70 billion more in government revenue, according to the committee. 

General Prayut Chan-o-cha’s government has maintained VAT at 7 per cent for fear of public opposition.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30315615

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-5-18

It was only a few weeks ago, when this matter first crept into view, that the PM denied it was going to happen and told us not to worry.

Just a practice exercise, in hypothetical revenue calculation, or some other old pile of tosh.

Clearly you can tell when he is lying, because his lips move, but I guess, given the coffers are empty, this is the path to Submarine and Tank ownership.

1 minute ago, wump said:

Isn't the official rate 10% anyway and it gets cut every year to 7% for some mysterious reason?

I believe that Thai Law stipulates 10%. But as with most things "legal" in Thailand, the reduced VAT rate of 7% has been periodically extended by various "governments" and Royally Gazetted.

It seems like the current extension runs through 30 September 2017, and again by law, it would rise to 10% on 1 October 2017.

Mmmh? VAT is usually on top of the price. So if you want to sell your 100 Baht product, you'd have to sell it for 110 Baht. The final price will include 10 Baht VAT which is around 9.1%.

40 minutes ago, wump said:

How about raising the rate to 10% and exempting basic foodstuffs (but not processed crap)?

Nothing should be exempted, it makes the situation confusing and no matter how this would be done creates grey areas and therefore some difficulty in applying the law.

11 minutes ago, wump said:

2 different rates of VAT rates is practiced in most countries that have VAT. In Australia its 10%/0%, in Germany it's 19%/7% etc.

Netherlands its 21% vs 6%

Its quite normal and easy to describe what is what also there are things that are free of vat like healthcare / education and others. 

VAT really is a tax on the poor and as such, there should be at least some 0% rate for basic necessities. Charging VAT on pharmaceuticals for example (like in Germany) seems criminal to me.

the land tax was put in too slow and the rate should be higher.....

and on THAT one, that tax.... a lot lower and less exemptions.

and as well part of that deal should be done along with....  while it is still at all possible.... funding and managing the public schools locally.  

instead of just spending more money on it from Bangkok... for more fingerprint machines. 

Edited by maewang99

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It was only a few weeks ago, when this matter first crept into view, that the PM denied it was going to happen and told us not to worry.

Just a practice exercise, in hypothetical revenue calculation, or some other old pile of tosh.

Clearly you can tell when he is lying, because his lips move, but I guess, given the coffers are empty, this is the path to Submarine and Tank ownership.

just hope more people wake up; military mismanages the country, raises their own budgets (our money BTW) and then raises our taxes

2 hours ago, wump said:

How about raising the rate to 10% and exempting basic foodstuffs (but not processed crap)?

You must've an Ocker... the major reason is cost of administration and definition of the boundaries.. other than Australia, I think most peoples apply the KISS principle... keep it simple, stupid

12 minutes ago, wirat69 said:

You must've an Ocker... the major reason is cost of administration and definition of the boundaries.. other than Australia, I think most peoples apply the KISS principle... keep it simple, stupid

Your mistaken.. in Europe done by a majority of countries. Its easy to do.

http://www.vatlive.com/vat-rates/european-vat-rates/

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

and don't forget the big gun the marines want 

2 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

Nothing should be exempted, it makes the situation confusing and no matter how this would be done creates grey areas and therefore some difficulty in applying the law.

The Australian system works pretty well and it exempts most non-processed food. 

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Increasing VAT by 1 per cent would result in Bt60 billion to Bt70 billion more in government revenue, according to the committee. 

Great way to loot an economy that is suffering. Read further down the page about car exports. Should just about cover the cost of the submarines. Your timing is impeccable just like the Song Taews raising rates here in CM at the exact moment that Uber is putting their foot in the door. Governments always drawing the ire of the populous. 

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

guess, given the coffers are empty, this is the path to Submarine and Tank ownership.

The least they could do to make it more palpable is have a name the Tank, Submarines contest. Yea good sub Prayuth would be my first choice. 

The least they could do to make it more palpable is have a name the Tank, Submarines contest. Yea good sub Prayuth would be my first choice. 

Paid for out of the Vessels Armaments and Tanks fund?