Pattaya underpass expected to be ready end of May

webfact

Pattaya underpass expected to be ready end of May

3am.jpg

Picture: STV Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- Official connected to the building of the1.9km Pattaya Klang underpass are confident everything will be ready by the end of this month.

Contractors and representatives from the Department of Rural Roads were holding a meeting at the Grand Soleil Hotel in Pattaya yesterday, reported STV Pattaya.

They announced that the project - at a cost of 800 million baht - will be delivered as per the contract though it is several months behind schedule. February was originally mooted for the opening after construction started back in 2014.

All of the major infrastructure of the tunnel is complete and there are just a few matters of surfacing, signage and lighting to finish, said Rachan Janthorn of the department of Rural Roads.

No opening date was given in the Sophon Cable TV story on Facebook but it was stated that the building of a bridge for handicapped people would not delay the opening of the tunnel as had been previously feared.

Source: STV Pattaya

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-19

21 minutes ago, Matthew2027 said:

What is the purpose of this Underpass ?

Obviously it should allow a smooth trhough traffic from/to the connection of the #7 and Sukhumvit South- and North-bound.

Of course this smooth passing of the Klaang intersection will cause huge problems at the intersection Sukhumvit and South Pattaya, but that will be solved with an overpass.......I guess!!

7 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Obviously it should allow a smooth trhough traffic from/to the connection of the #7 and Sukhumvit South- and North-bound.

Of course this smooth passing of the Klaang intersection will cause huge problems at the intersection Sukhumvit and South Pattaya, but that will be solved with an overpass.......I guess!!

Originally slated that there is to be 2 more tunnels - Tai and Thrappassit.................

That's another 6 years then. Silly project, really. Why not have the traffic southbound on the 2 very left lanes go through all the time? Adding another 2 lanes would do so much to ease the congestion. Traffic is already a nightmare on Pattaya Tai and Theppasit intersections, so what is the need? Traffic will just keep  piling up elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, Commogwinto said:

I don't know why they didn't instead continue overhead at end of Route 7, and continue past Thepprasit Rd, surely cheaper than digging 3 tunnels?

Not enough graft that way

Brown envelopes control projects here in Thailand not cost savings, expediency, or god forbid,  common sense 

1 hour ago, wump said:

That's another 6 years then. Silly project, really. Why not have the traffic southbound on the 2 very left lanes go through all the time? Adding another 2 lanes would do so much to ease the congestion. Traffic is already a nightmare on Pattaya Tai and Theppasit intersections, so what is the need? Traffic will just keep  piling up elsewhere.

it is a good step forward and will help traffic flow through pattaya with one less stop start to deal with. just hope they actually do the other 2 tunnels. they look far better than elevated roadways.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

it is a good step forward and will help traffic flow through pattaya with one less stop start to deal with. just hope they actually do the other 2 tunnels. they look far better than elevated roadways.

Who cares about looks? Bangkok shows that elevated roadways can be done cheaply and quickly. I support the other poster's suggestion of just extending highway 7 via an elevated road. Now with the tolls starting they'd have some money flowing in an could do the elevated road as far as Ambassador Hotel. But then again, too logical.

Edited by wump

2 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Not enough graft that way

Brown envelopes control projects here in Thailand not cost savings, expediency, or god forbid,  common sense 

What's "COMMON SENSE"?? Please explain- looked in the Thai dictionary, no such thing.

With all the congestion right now I think it won't be too long before we see elevated roadways all over Pattaya, starting with Pattaya Klang between 3rd road and the Big C Extra intersection, that horrible intersection at Tony's Gym at Pattaya Tai and eventually the intersection between 2nd road and Pattaya Tai... or make that the whole single-lane road per direction from Pratamnak to Pattaya Tai... what a nightmare after 6 pm.

It's crazy that I have to spend the last 30-40 minutes in a traffic jam in Pattaya when coming from the airport which technically would only be a <90 minute ride.

Edited by wump

11 minutes ago, wump said:

Who cares about looks? Bangkok shows that elevated roadways can be done cheaply and quickly. I support the other poster's suggestion of just extending highway 7 via an elevated road. Now with the tolls starting they'd have some money flowing in an could do the elevated road as far as Ambassador Hotel. But then again, too logical.

Agree, and I said this a long time ago. Pattaya/Sukhumvit area  is ugly anyways! Elevated road needed from at least Bang Lamung (end of No.36 turn off) to at least mid Jomtien area. If they had built this at even half the rate that they built the skyway to Chonburi it would be there already. Could easily link in with end of m/way near Pattaya Nua.

16 hours ago, Fallangpakwan said:

What's "COMMON SENSE"?? Please explain- looked in the Thai dictionary, no such thing.

One of the best ones is at the bottom of Pratumnak road where you get on a songteow at the back of the line after the drivers have all man-handled their vehicles from the front.

Unbelievable!

I really hope that this tunnel works. If not they'll be a lot of people just standing there shaking their heads in disbelief. 

Not long to wait now after all those horrible traffic jams. 

16 hours ago, wump said:

With all the congestion right now I think it won't be too long before we see elevated roadways all over Pattaya, starting with Pattaya Klang between 3rd road and the Big C Extra intersection, that horrible intersection at Tony's Gym at Pattaya Tai and eventually the intersection between 2nd road and Pattaya Tai... or make that the whole single-lane road per direction from Pratamnak to Pattaya Tai... what a nightmare after 6 pm.

It's crazy that I have to spend the last 30-40 minutes in a traffic jam in Pattaya when coming from the airport which technically would only be a <90 minute ride.

Agreed. Junction after junction you miss the lights several times. 

Not a good situation at all! In fact, truly depressing especially after a journey from the airport. 

22 hours ago, wump said:

Elevated roads in town not so practical or easy, I'm afraid. 

15 minutes ago, quandow said:

Just in time for the rainy season. Odds on whether it's been built for proper drainage?

There ought to be 2 culvit pumps one each side to pump the run off during inclement weather. If not then anything over a foot of water will render the tunnel useless. 

Fingers crossed for October/November when the monsoon season hits us.

On 2017-5-19 at 7:21 AM, Matthew2027 said:

What is the purpose of this Underpass ?

Purpose is an enormous amount of "brown envelopes" will be passed from A to B to X to Y + many favours in many directions. The underpass is the incidental by-product. And this possibly final delay = looking after a few "hangers-on". 

"They announced that the project - at a cost of 800 million baht - will be delivered as per the contract though it is several months behind schedule."

How can it be delivered "as per the contract" and be several months behind schedule? Didn't the contract specify a finishing date? 

9 minutes ago, Seizetheday said:

The tunnel itself won't flood, between Tai and Klang heading north it will.

That's not good enough. It needs to be the tunnel. Else what are we do with all our clever submarine jokes? Bummer.

Suk has always flooded. You must be new around here. Which kinda makes the tunnel flooding a moot point as nobody will be able to get to it anyway.

Edited by JSixpack

17 hours ago, JSixpack said:

That's not good enough. It needs to be the tunnel. Else what are we do with all our clever submarine jokes? Bummer.

Suk has always flooded. You must be new around here. Which kinda makes the tunnel flooding a moot point as nobody will be able to get to it anyway.

Looking forward to the, "Trapped in the tunnel by floods" posts later this year.