Home repairs, hard to know if you're paying too much.

giddyup

Beware the handyman who buys the materials.  I made mine bring the receipts thinking that was a good check on price, wrong. They get the supplier to double the price , receipt it they give a 100 baht tip to that person. I caught him out as he bought a tin of gloss liquid but ran short so I went and got it; then i knew the price. Yes they buy good paint and water it down to go further?

i guess you'll also have to see the context of the job. just yesterday, 2 guys fixed a leak in the ceiling near the roof's edge in our 3-storey townhouse. although it took them no more than 3 hours to fix it,  i paid the 3,000 baht they asked for since i don't want to risk checking how hard the ground is from 30 feet high. i was most worried about those guys falling off the roof.

It depends on the level of skill required for the job. A painter would probably only be worth 500 baht a day. On the other hand, someone installing an aircon could charge 2000 baht for a couple of hours work.

3000 baht for two guys for 3 hours does sound steep. On the other hand, they would probably charge you that much in Australia just for putting the ladder up.

On 5/21/2017 at 9:27 AM, mogandave said:

I think that doing some inside and outside painting, fixing some roof leaks and replacing some skirting is more than two days work for two men.

If the guy does good work what's the big deal?

I always get multiple quotes, tell them I am getting multiple quotes, tell the I am not going to hammer them down on the price, tell the I demand quality material and work.

I also tell them I will pay for the materials prior to start of work, but after after I receive and review the list.

I pay them the balance after the work is complete to my satisfaction.

It it's a big job, I will make progress payments as well.

The quality of work is generally much more important than saving a few Baht.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a sweet deal is forgotten."

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Agree completely.

In short, get multiple quotes, buy all the materials (or approve same), oversee all the work, may installment payments if job is bigger than a day and always withhold final payment of certain amount until everything is done and site is cleaned. I put it in writing (in Thai) and if that freaks them out then I have eliminated one from the white list and added to the black list. 

The only way I ever have any work done anymore is to oversee every little damn thing myself. Even (especially?) when it is areas that I am not fluent or professionally confident like electricity, for example. All other methods have ended in dissatisfaction. 

On 2017-5-19 at 10:59 AM, robblok said:

I would personally pay for the materials myself, because I would worry that they would use inferior materials to cut cost. Then again, if he were to quote without materials he might up the labor cost to make up for what he could skim off the materials.

its a hard process gone through it a few times too and its never fun. 

I always try to supply the materials myself then get a quote on labour. Some "handymen" who have got used to farangs paying stupidly high prices will try it on. 5-700 a day for a skilled handyman is a fair payment imo. Good luck.

My house is still under construction, I pay for the materials my self. Total cost of labour so far 102.000 Baht, and that's from scratch, roof, inner walls ,ceiling, primer in side, steel structure, doors and window's, plus outer roof. The house is 91m2

received_1405472252844580.jpeg

received_1413097012082104.jpeg

My house is still under construction, I pay for the materials my self. Total cost of labour so far 102.000 Baht, and that's from scratch, roof, inner walls ,ceiling, primer in side, steel structure, doors and window's, plus outer roof. The house is 91m2
received_1405472252844580.jpeg.a24e19edf7289ba7c1a5b16486a99c44.jpeg
received_1413097012082104.jpeg.6f56b779c2b7fb635fea372e1c84bf9e.jpeg

You get what you pay for...

On 5/19/2017 at 11:51 AM, giddyup said:

Yeah, well, I'm 75 so my climbing on to a roof with a pitch like a Swiss chalet days are over. As is painting ceilings etc.

Giddyup, old mate. As a ferang, you are always going to be hit. Some/most of the prices are guys chancing their arm, thinking you are stupid enough to pay it.I am lucky enough to have been brought up in the building game, to be able to do all of my repairs, if necessary.T date, i have built wardrobes, knocked through a bedroom wall to make an on suite shower room. I have plastered and painted, plumbed and electrified. I even showed a guy how to check for building movement by using fag papers.

If i was not able, rather than pay some of these chancer's, i would go to the local library and take  out ' MR Crabtree goes decorating.

Good luck to you, using 'Somchai the handy man'

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Giddyup, old mate. As a ferang, you are always going to be hit. Some/most of the prices are guys chancing their arm, thinking you are stupid enough to pay it.I am lucky enough to have been brought up in the building game, to be able to do all of my repairs, if necessary.T date, i have built wardrobes, knocked through a bedroom wall to make an on suite shower room. I have plastered and painted, plumbed and electrified. I even showed a guy how to check for building movement by using fag papers.

If i was not able, rather than pay some of these chancer's, i would go to the local library and take  out ' MR Crabtree goes decorating.

Good luck to you, using 'Somchai the handy man'

Didn't say I didn't know how, just that I'd prefer not to fall off a ladder and break a hip. Didn't retire in Thailand to do all the sh*t jobs that I did for years to save money. Even though I might be getting overcharged, quite frankly I'd rather pay it than end up spending a week in bed because I put my back out, and that's only the painting and decorating. Previously had a young fit guy fall off our roof attempting to fix a couple of leaks, how do you think a 75 year old guy is going to do?

On 5/19/2017 at 5:01 AM, giddyup said:

I prefer not to fall off a ladder and break a hip at 75, end up costing a lot more than 25,000 baht. I've pretty much (perhaps rashly) committed myself to paying now, but I will be keeping a close eye on the standard of the work and quality of material used.

Good on you. Get out the lawn chair, umbrella and a cold beer and supervise. At 75, why would anyone be doing jobs here when they could employ Thai people for 300-500 baht a day.

36 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Didn't say I didn't know how, just that I'd prefer not to fall off a ladder and break a hip. Didn't retire in Thailand to do all the sh*t jobs that I did for years to save money. Even though I might be getting overcharged, quite frankly I'd rather pay it than end up spending a week in bed because I put my back out, and that's only the painting and decorating. Previously had a young fit guy fall off our roof attempting to fix a couple of leaks, how do you think a 75 year old guy is going to do?

i must admit some jobs i do think what the f am i doing when i can pay someone  a couple of thousand bht to do it ,,,,which is super cheap compared to western rates,,the last 2 days i kinda thought that when i have been up to my arse in muddy sludge putting a septic tank in.....was all going well until the jcb driver started acting like a dick....lol

S__27639810_new.jpg

IMAG1828.jpg

18596817_10155820983647565_1616730480_o.jpg

Edited by taninthai

I would say if you are comfortable with the price for what is being done then forget about it. You're going to worry if maybe another guy can do it cheaper but then what type of job will you get.  I always look at it what I think is a fair price for me not to do the work. 

On 5/19/2017 at 4:48 AM, bankruatsteve said:

If you have any DIY ambition, you should take on the painting.  That is like the lowest of the labor class here so you will be lucky if that comes out good.  DO NOT allow your contractor to buy the paint.  For example, TOA is a very good brand but they also have crap paints under the same name.  When it comes to paint, only get the good (premium) stuff.  And if you don't DIY, do not let them thin out the paint to 50% or any percent.  Maybe 10% on the primer, but that's it.

There are many workers who are good and will do whatever their skill without a "contractor" - just ask around and you can find for 400-600 baht per day.  Avoid a "contractor" - they just take money for doing F_all.

Have you ever painted anything before? Because last time I checked, painting is only half of the job. The other part is the prep work, which is the make or break of a good paint job.

4 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Have you ever painted anything before? Because last time I checked, painting is only half of the job. The other part is the prep work, which is the make or break of a good paint job.

I don't know what prompted this, but wherever you are checking is spot on.  I don't consider the surface prep a separate 'job' from painting although I haven't seen many Thai painters that bother to clean anything.

49 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

I don't know what prompted this, but wherever you are checking is spot on.  I don't consider the surface prep a separate 'job' from painting although I haven't seen many Thai painters that bother to clean anything.

They rarely bother with either an undercoat or a primer either.

On 5/19/2017 at 10:39 AM, giddyup said:

I have been in Thailand 8 years and have dealt with quite a few "handymen" in that time

Not found one that you can trust yet? Or is it that none of them want to work for you anymore?

I have been coming every year for the last 5 years for 4-6 weeks at a time building my house and I have a team I have put together to do the work .. originally I started out with employing family but I soon realized were ripping me off, so I sacked the lot of the bludgers!!

The way I work it I pay my blokes 500 Baht a day and supply all materials ... at the end of the day I buy beers and Lowcow (for those that want it) ...

They love working for me and are very happy with that arrangement.

5 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Not found one that you can trust yet? Or is it that none of them want to work for you anymore?

There's always a smartar*e desperate for a little attention.

Just now, Jimbob1 said:

I have been coming every year for the last 5 years for 4-6 weeks at a time building my house and I have a team I have put together to do the work .. originally I started out with employing family but I soon realized were ripping me off, so I sacked the lot of the bludgers!!

The way I work it I pay my blokes 500 Baht a day and supply all materials ... at the end of the day I buy beers and Lowcow (for those that want it) ...

They love working for me and are very happy with that arrangement.

I have had some good workers as well, been very satisfied with the work and the price, trouble is they move on or take up another line of work.

11 hours ago, giddyup said:

Yes, you are quite right. I didn't realise that you were that infirm.I suppose I'm just used to doing my own thing. Its just that the experience i had with some 'experts' consisting of my 'present' wife's brother in law, and two of his Loa koa drinking buddies. They installed some guttering to our house.All 3 runs had reverse falls and now the 'boys that knew' have made themselves scarce, boozing away the 12,000 baht that she paid them.They never had a level between them. They discharged the rain water pipes into the man holes in our garden. They simply lifted the covers and now we have two, delightful open sewers and we are inundated, at night,  with several hundred Cockroaches, happily reminding us, that"they live here too" They removed the satellite dish,with no prior notice to me, and i had to pay True, to come and replace it,back in exactly the same spot(it turns out that they never needed to remove it in the first place)This has been a bone contention between me and my beloved, who now demands to know why i didn't do the f#####g job in the first place. I have tried to gently remind her, that it was the brother in law that informed her that "felangs cant do guttering" Of course, i have found it pointless to show her the 'Formula for rates of inclination for flow rates, by Messers Crimp & Bruge'

So,dear,apprehensive, friend. I respect your decision, not to dabble.

. I didn't realise that you were that infirm.

Hmm, don't know if I'd describe myself as infirm, but obviously at 75 I'm neither as fit or as agile as I used to be. Not quite reached the walking stick or Zimmer frame level yet, hopefully never will. I appreciate your story though, and count myself lucky that I haven't had any work done quite that atrocious.

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Hmm, don't know if I'd describe myself as infirm, but obviously at 75 I'm neither as fit or as agile as I used to be. Not quite reached the walking stick or Zimmer frame level yet, hopefully never will. I appreciate your story though, and count myself lucky that I haven't had any work done quite that atrocious.

17 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Sorry dear chap, i didnt mean it quite like that. I get a little miffed, when i have to look at something that should have been such a simple job.

I now stand in the evening light, just as the sun is lowering itself over the tree lined horizon, and just after a rain fall of biblical proportions. I look over a courtyard running around the house, that is thrice times as wet as it was before, Curly, Larry, and Mo, assaulted our innocent roof, whilst being mildly irritated by the invasion of Cockroaches that now play 'catch me if you can' with our dogs and Cats.I have, simply given in, i am in the sublime trance of resignation.

5 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Sorry dear chap, i didnt mean it quite like that. I get a little miffed, when i have to look at something that should have been such a simple job.

I now stand in the evening light, just as the sun is lowering itself over the tree lined horizon, and just after a rain fall of biblical proportions. I look over a courtyard running around the house, that is thrice times as wet as it was before, Curly, Larry, and Mo, assaulted our innocent roof, whilst being mildly irritated by the invasion of Cockroaches that now play 'catch me if you can' with our dogs and Cats.I have, simply given in, i am in the sublime trance of resignation.

Well, that's a job I did on my own house in Australia, install new gutters and downpipes, never done them before but worked perfectly. Fortunately there were only straight lengths either side of the house, but easy job.

Edited by giddyup

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Well, that's a job I did on my own house in Australia, install new gutters and downpipes, never done them before but worked perfectly. Fortunately there were only straight lengths either side of the house, but easy job.

Yup! its quite easy, just using a turn of the bubble, across the line, of the level, will produce the correct rate of fall for rain water. 6 inch underground, or high level under, drainage gets a bit more difficult.:smile: