Pattaya revives failed Bali Hai marina project

Rimmer

Pattaya revives failed Bali Hai marina project

1242-n1Bali-Hai-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--The 735-million-baht marina, built in phases between 2008 and 2013, has never opened due to repeated problems and funding shortages. Abandoned by both the city and its builder Ping Joint Venture Ltd., the small-boat harbor began to deteriorate and took critical damage from tropical depression Vamco is 2015.

Then acting-Mayor Chanat­pong Sriviset appointed a survey committee to determine if the damage incurred sprung from design flaws or simply acts of nature. But the committee never completed its work and, thus, the repair budget was frozen.

Current Mayor Anan Charoenchasri said May 3 that the city has contacted Kasetsart University, the Royal Thai Navy and King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang to cooperate on a new 5-million-baht survey that will definitively determine the reasons the marina sustained such severe damage in its short lifespan, and how much it will cost to fix, if possible.

Read more:http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-revives-failed-bali-hai-marina-project-174961

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-05-19

More money down the drain

Just open a competitive tendering bid for some international respected company (not uncle somchai) to design and build a "proper" "world class" "international standards" marina

Thailand is big on setting up committees , study groups, think-tank

and what not, all hot air, waste of money and time as already told

in the article,  what will come out of this study? nothing, no budget

to follow on recommendations, and it will fall by the wayside again,

until the next committee....

I thought this was supposed to be a showpiece to attract the international yacht crowd.  But, as always, someone was dreaming and someone was also siphoning off the budget to line their own pockets.   Hence crap work that is now falling apart in record time.

I have come to the conclusion that there is no hope for Thailand. 

They would do what all the other tourists do....though if the rest of town isnt "upgraded" they might not be too impressed,stay for long,consider coming again or telling friends back home to visit too.

Do these people ever venture outside of their cloud cuckoo land  bubble existence?

24ct tourists and the millionaire yachting crowd arnt about to be lured away from their regular haunts by infantile failed ventures surrounded by filth, corruption and zero infrastructure.

Edited by Regyai
Typo

3 hours ago, johng said:

I still see a glimmer of hope but it gets dimmer as the years go by.

I also see a dimmer glimmer simmer, and I would bet that although the repair budget was frozen, the remnants completely melted and trickled out of the piggy bank.

The actual resultant production matters, not one jot

It's that all the relevant 'big men' have sucked their percentages out of it beforehand, like so many parasitic leeches, that really matters. 

5 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I also see a dimmer glimmer simmer, and I would bet that although the repair budget was frozen, the remnants completely melted and trickled out of the piggy bank.

Would the last politician leaving this redundant scheme, please turn out the light.

Depressing story.  Pattaya needs a powerful city employee with a staff that oversees all city projects before, during, and after the construction is done--with half of the payment held back until the work is done and inspected. 

21 hours ago, WhizBang said:

I thought this was supposed to be a showpiece to attract the international yacht crowd.  But, as always, someone was dreaming and someone was also siphoning off the budget to line their own pockets.   Hence crap work that is now falling apart in record time.

champagne ideas on beer money !!!!!!

13 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

It's not dead, it just takes time :-)

Like some wounded dog at the side of a road. They let it suffer in agony for days, weeks, months, years, rather than put it down.

I think almost every project in Pattaya I've witnessed in my 33 years here has failed or had problems of some kind. Whose to blame? You don't need to look any further than the man who was at the top. Those that put him there are not without blame too. You only get what you vote for.

For a THB 100k I'll advise the new mayor to tear the marina down.

Will cost me about 10 minutes to explain that AND as a bonus I'll advise him to demolish the greenhouse at Bali Hai as well.

For the remaiing THB 4,900,000 I'll restore Bali Hai to its old glory (apart from the boat-parking of course)

On 5/19/2017 at 5:54 PM, just.a.thought said:

If the marina was damaged in what is considered bad weather here maybe they should have considered hiring a contractor with experience in constructing marinas on the coastline of the North Sea....

they are blaming a tropical depression vamco which arrived in thailand in mid september 2015 via vietnam where it used up most of it's power. however i started a thread inc copious pics on another forum on the destruction of the bali hai marina in mid january of 2015.

On 2017-05-19 at 0:12 AM, WhizBang said:

Isnt Cobra Gold kind of like the international yacht crowd...only with really big naval "yachts"

Seems we all know the real reason for the 5,000,000 baht "consultation".

It never used to be so shameless back in the 90s. We all knew it went on, but out of sight.

I wouldn't care, but seems that every project they embark on just makes a mess now.

From the photo, appears they used unprotected steel for the construction. How long would that have lasted even if the whole thing hadn't collapsed?

On 5/19/2017 at 10:48 AM, Rimmer said:

Kasetsart University, the Royal Thai Navy and King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology

So we can expect to see the 'experts' from KU, RTN and KMIT on all expense paid junkets to Pattaya before advising that a special committee needs to be set up to review their findings.