Use of Thai Online Banking When Abroad

I'm going to India. I want to send money from my Thai Bank account to someone while I'm there. Can I do it if I don't have my phone (number)for the OTP verification?

Edited by joealx

Fair point. I'm about to experience the same thing -- going overseas and will need to use my Thai online banking system to pay bills etc. I was assured by a Bkk Bank clerk that I can use the bank's system overseas, but I wonder if that's just with international roaming, not a local Sim card.

Kasikorn has pin2 which removes the need for OTP as far as I know.

The money you want to transfer, is that to a Thailand account or one abroad ?

If abroad you have best get that set-up before you go.

Indeed ^^^.

But as noted above, you can send to accounts already set up without needing the OTP. So if our OP can get everything set up before going to Inedible India he's good to go.

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Indeed ^^^.

But as noted above, you can send to accounts already set up without needing the OTP. So if our OP can get everything set up before going to Inedible India he's good to go.

Not necessarily, my Kasikorn account needs an OTP for every transaction, set up or not (yes, I know about the PIN2 option but don't need it).  My SCB however doesn't.

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

Not necessarily, my Kasikorn account needs an OTP for every transaction, set up or not (yes, I know about the PIN2 option but don't need it).  My SCB however doesn't.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion, I was specifically referring to Bangkok Bank.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, sorry for the confusion, I was specifically referring to Bangkok Bank.

I have both banks (K and BB). I called both and without a Thai number, transfers can't be made because of the OTP. Bill paying that's setup is different.

IN the U.S., There is a choice of using email. 

Edited by joealx

@OP you probably need to give people more info to get the answer you're looking for

The OTP is one of the most common forms of 2 factor authorisation (2FA) process but by no means the only one.

First: which bank are you with? Different banks handle 2FA in different ways as you'll see from replies above. Some banks require OTP only on set up of a new payee, some require for every payment. One of my banks, TMB for example require it every time. Some banks have alternatives to OTP via phone, particularly useful if overseas

Next thing. The "someone" you want to transfer money to. Are they in Thailand or not? While transferring within Thailand is relatively easy, you may find additional paperwork separately required to transfer funds overseas will hinder the whole online aspect if you want to transfer overseas.

Third part is what phone/SIM card you are using and where. If a Thai SIM card, it obviously depends on whether it will work in India or not on their networks. If it is a foreign/ Indian SIM card then you need to make your bank aware of that number before you go abroad and register it. You could well also find your Thai bank doesn't accept an Indian mobile number for the 2FA process and will only accept a Thai number.

Often a Thai SIM card can receive SMS OTP free of charge when in certain companies so you can just stick with your Thai number. I've done this in various Asian countries. Japan was an exception where I couldn't. Never tried India, but if your Thai SIM card works in a phone that can access Indian networks then just keep that in Indian to any Indian SIM card you get.

Cheers

Fletch :)

Edited by fletchsmile

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Can the Thai sim be re-directed to the India sim ?

1 hour ago, joealx said:

I have both banks (K and BB). I called both and without a Thai number, transfers can't be made because of the OTP. Bill paying that's setup is different.

I make payments all the time from my BBL accounts when out of Thailand--to other accounts which are already setup before I do go overseas; never any problem

I have two phones, one with my home sim. I needed to change my address with my home bank......got my verification code no problem. I know it's the other way round but just thought I'd mention it.

1 hour ago, joealx said:

I know from experience that  for Bangkok Bank there is no OTP needed for a domestic transfer if it is set up already. Same for bill payments.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I know from experience that  for Bangkok Bank there is no OTP needed for a domestic transfer if it is set up already. Same for bill payments.

Is this 3rd party internet banking that you have? If so, how is it set up?

6 hours ago, joealx said:

Just put you Thai sim in your phone when you want to use online banking. This is what I did when in the US and needing to transfer money. Worked fine. 

Depends on who you bank with. With Bangkok Bank to set up new recipient you do normally need the phone to get a OTP, but if you have the phone on with the Thai SIM, have roaming enabled and can get onto a network, that should come through anyhow. Better to set up the recipient's details before you leave Thailand and then it is straight-forward.

I actually have a monthly payment set up, but you can also set up a payment for a date in the future too.

Edited by jacko45k

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is the standard online banking for them that I have set up. On the computer they have tabs for transfers and bill payments/top ups.

You just select transfers and set up a new transfer to any bank account.

You cannot set up new transfers or bill payments on the mobile app. It has to be done on the online banking site.