"Hey teacher, leave them kids alone!" - Thai teachers slammed over "bizarre" hair punishment

rooster59

"Hey teacher, leave them kids alone!" - Thai teachers slammed over "bizarre" hair punishment

teacher.PNG

Image: Daily News

A well known Thai psychologist has hit out at teachers who think they are doing children in their classes a favor by punishing them with head shaving.

The comments come after a teacher in Nakorn Sawan proudly posted pictures online of the result of his latest punishment idea.

He had shaved the back of a boy's head in a kind of "anti-Mohican" - a strip was missing instead of present.

The male teacher said "If they want to try stuff then so will I". It was not clear what the punishment was actually for.

But children's psychologist Dr Warot Chotipitayasunon slammed the teacher and called his idea of punishment bizarre and highly inappropriate.

He said for a start such behavior from a teacher is illegal. The teacher concerned should give punishment that is within the law of the land.

To be a person in authority and break the law like this would ultimately result in only one thing - students breaking the law themselves.

Teachers have to set better examples than this, he said.

He also said that the shame of such draconian punishment could well make children withdrawn and suffer from psychological problems both at school and in later life.

He called on teachers to act lawfully and behave in a respectful manner that they would like their students to follow.

Acting outside the law, outside the school rules was a recipe for disaster, said Dr Warot.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-20

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from being 'illegal' , this guy should have had an ethical centre towards his wards. Children, /your students/ are not playthings. Serious breach of conduct.

In any event, when teachers become adversarial, they have lost. 

Sack first for standards sake. Let police mull.

Edited by optad

When they decide the kids hair is too long at my kids school. They take a scissor and cuts some chunks out. It happened to my boy last semester. Our response was to leave it that way. Our kid didn't care in the slightest, but it bugged the teachers.

This used to happen regularly at a school where I worked. Male students were given a warning that their hair was too long and if they did not have it cut, a teacher would run a hair trimmer over their head similar to the photograph.

I think the involuntary shaving is a sign of dominance/subservience, and to mark the subject with shame?

The military junta always seems to shave the red-shirt prisoners before trotting them out for the perp walk.

But those with higher status seem to remain well-coiffed. I'm sure it's one of those unique Thai cultural things?

17 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I think the involuntary shaving is a sign of dominance/subservience, and to mark the subject with shame?

The military junta always seems to shave the red-shirt prisoners before trotting them out for the perp walk.

But those with higher status seem to remain well-coiffed. I'm sure it's one of those unique Thai cultural things?

Really, some examples...

I would not let a teacher touch my son in a way to give him a "haircut" or anything else like that: awfull behavior and i can't understand parents let this happen to their children!!!!!!!!!!

If you think it do not mean anything harmfull to the children...: it harms them a lot even they won't show it!!!!!!!!!!

Get rid off all these teachers and parents should know mand learn more about effecting punishment to the children....

Driving a car needs a licence: raising childen as parents or teachers needs nothing! Too bad!

Law of the land. Means nothing to thais. Apparently thainess is above that law. Seen it time and time again. Teachers excuse will be... Im thai, thai people, thai culture, yada yada.... Always the last reort of an excuse and therfore a slap on the wrist if the teachers lucky.

My sons teacher decided my sons hair was too long and shaved his head. We were set to head out of the country for new years abroad with my family the following day so purposely didnt cut it. I was furious!!. Stupid teacher only thinks of themselves. They made my son look like a poor, peasant, monk while hes going to meet my family some of for the first time that think of people that look like a monk as being somewhat sad and pitiful whilst being polite and never saying anything.

My sons last teacher was always late to school and first to leave and had facebook and line posts of countless drunken slutty bar nights. Was hot though..lol. Not sure what qualification is needed.

My neighbours child got bambooed for not taking a spoon to school for his lunch and my wife had to run in to give him a spoon because the child is taken care of by a crippled grandmother that would have no way of taking a dam spoon. Crazy! 

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

He seems even proud with his stupid action.All students will hate this disgusting teacher.what he did is illegal parents should press charges against him and the school.

Ideally, what should happen is that the parents should get hold of this so-called teacher and shave his head in exactly the same way and see how he likes it, particularly when they shame him by posting pictures on Facebook.

The problem is not with the teachers as much as it is with the system that teaches them.  They are taught a crap load of stuff and theory but no real experience teaching under a teacher mentor that has the proper training them self.

There is a solution but it is going to take time and Thai society as much as the rest of the world only wants to see quick fixes that are immediate and only band aids on the issues.

My solution is that teachers be trained properly.

First rank all the schools in the country.

The year before they finish have them go to the schools and observe teachers 

Come back and give a presentation or report in detail of what they saw and what they learned..

Then take the final year teachers and send them to those schools paired with a good teacher for a term.  

Have them teach the class under that teachers guidance.

2 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The problem is not with the teachers as much as it is with the system that teaches them.  They are taught a crap load of stuff and theory but no real experience teaching under a teacher mentor that has the proper training them self.

There is a solution but it is going to take time and Thai society as much as the rest of the world only wants to see quick fixes that are immediate and only band aids on the issues.

Come back and give a presentation or report in detail of what they saw and what they learned..

Then take the final year teachers and send them to those schools paired with a good teacher for a term.  

Well yes, as long as it's a recognized role model teacher.

My Thai son has the new 5 year education degree, he has shared some of the incidents / classroom teacher behaviors and teaching methods he witnessed a number of times when he was on his several work experience stints.

Son was really shocked but noted that his buddies from his uni batch were not shocked.

The difference stems from the fact my son did high school in Singapore and he therefore saw and experienced a whole different approach to teaching and learning.

Did he say anything to his own lecturers back at his Uni about what he witnessed in Thai classrooms? Absolutely no, he knew he would get a very negative possibly even abusive response, possibly even get reductions in his grades. 

Today in his classroom he tries as much as possible to use what he experienced in Singapore but being careful to not make the other teachers angry.

He says he has never come close to hitting his students and never will, he knows from Singapore how to manage the classroom, and when there is an incident and it gets discussed in the teachers common room, often with support for the errant teacher,  he just gets on with his work and bites his tongue. 

3 hours ago, DM07 said:

Unfortunately, in Thailand onlythe students can be punished for being "out of control"....

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Cut my kids hair, and I will see you after school with my buck knife to give you a haircut.........in North Loosiana, Choctaw for haircut 'Pashi Indi' basically means scalping, to forcibly get your hair scalped is a most cruel form of punishment,and usually banishment follows.

Just now, TunnelRat69 said:

Cut my kids hair, and I will see you after school with my buck knife to give you a haircut.........in North Loosiana, Choctaw for haircut 'Pashi Indi' basically means scalping, to forcibly get your hair scalped is a most cruel form of punishment,and usually banishment follows.

Love a' I'm big nasty piece of work vigilante if provoked' post.

My knees are trembling

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well yes, as long as it's a recognized role model teacher.

My Thai son has the new 5 year education degree, he has shared some of the incidents / classroom teacher behaviors and teaching methods he witnessed a number of times when he was on his several work experience stints.

Son was really shocked but noted that his buddies from his uni batch were not shocked.

The difference stems from the fact my son did high school in Singapore and he therefore saw and experienced a whole different approach to teaching and learning.

Did he say anything to his own lecturers back at his Uni about what he witnessed in Thai classrooms? Absolutely no, he knew he would get a very negative possibly even abusive response, possibly even get reductions in his grades. 

Today in his classroom he tries as much as possible to use what he experienced in Singapore but being careful to not make the other teachers angry.

He says he has never come close to hitting his students and never will, he knows from Singapore how to manage the classroom, and when there is an incident and it gets discussed in the teachers common room, often with support for the errant teacher,  he just gets on with his work and bites his tongue. 

Singapore has achieved in 50 years what Thailand cannot do in 600 years.  Sad really, more so when they cannot recognise it or have the willingness to change. :sad:

23 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Yes it really is as simple as that.

Comparing Singapore with Thailand is really comparing apples with apples.

Love it when you can see research, thought, marshalling of facts have been thoroughly applied.

Well done.

That is the singapore where opposition parties barely and have never existed?

Where lee kwan yiew's family still maintain an iron grip.

???