Renewal of UK Driving Licence (heads up)

2 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

Section 2 of the Motor Vehicle (international Circulations)1975

' 2.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this Article, it shall be lawful for a person resident outside the United Kingdom who is temporarily in Great Britain and holds—

(a)a Convention driving permit, or

(b)a domestic driving permit issued in a country outside the United Kingdom, or

(c)a British Forces (BFG) driving licence,

during a period of twelve months from the date of his last entry into the United Kingdom to drive, and, except in the case of a holder of a British Forces (BFG) driving licence, be employed in driving, in Great Britain a motor vehicle of any class which he is authorised by that permit or that licence to drive, notwithstanding that he is not the holder of a driving licence under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1972. '

When you renew your UK driving licence a declaration of being  resident in UK is made

At the risk of getting yet another copy/paste of Section 2 of the Motor Vehicle (international Circulations)1975 , does the declaration specifically and/or automatically invalidate the non-UK DL?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

At the risk of getting yet another copy/paste of Section 2 of the Motor Vehicle (international Circulations)1975 , does the declaration specifically and/or automatically invalidate the non-UK DL?

If you declare yourself resident in the UK , how can you be temporarly in the UK

Edited by rockingrobin
On 5/20/2017 at 6:44 AM, simoh1490 said:

Yes I do understand that workaround, but UK DVLC rules (technically) say that if you leave the UK to live in another country you must surrender your UK license and get one from your country of residence, the fact that most of us don't and that some of you use a UK accommodation address doesn't make it legal.

FWIW I used to be really precious about my UK license but after 15 years I've come to realise that my Thai license is far more useful, it makes renting a car in the UK much much easier since there are no DVLC checks and every car rental agency accepts it without question. It also means I can buy an annual car insurance excess policy which costs about 35 Pounds and means I don't have to buy rental agency insurance products and that saves a lot of money.

what is   " annual car insurance excess policy which costs about 35 Pounds " could you explain

4 minutes ago, salavan said:

what is   " annual car insurance excess policy which costs about 35 Pounds " could you explain

When you rent a car you are asked if you want to buy different insurance products to help reduce the deductible, that insurance is for the deductible not for the car, the car remains insured regardless of what products you do or don't buy. So instead of insuring the entire car that you rent, you simply insure the insurance deductible amount via a third party insurer with an annual policy that costs about 35 Pounds. If the car costs 15k and the insurance deductible from the rental company is 1k, you insure the 1k instead of the 15k which is far far cheaper.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

you insure the 1k instead of the 15k

Actually, in either case you are just insuring the 1k deductible/excess, but the rental company's charge for insuring the excess is a rip-off, so, as you say, it is much cheaper to buy a separate policy from an independent company. The rental company don't like it - one time the guy at the counter said "But they might not pay up on everything", answer, "That's my problem, not yours." It's a nice little add-on for the rental company if you arrive at their desk believing that the rental you booked includes insurance and find that you'll have to pay the first thousand quid if you have an accident, or pay up to £10 a day to cover that £1k liability.