How to recover money from an estate developer in Thailand ?

10 hours ago, Borzandy said:

The developer didn't pay the land and the land owner never been asked to sell it...

One poster stated this also happens in other countries. Possibly true to some extent but the developer would never get a way with this HS in the USA

• Like 1

I have met a few 100% atheists, freshly arriving in Thailand. After a condo-deal going sour, they have turned back to religion. Knowing that legally, there is nothing that will bring back all that good money. Only a merciful "act of god" may, under the best of circumstances. Amen and Cheers.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fulwell53 said:

Surprise surprise a condo development fails before completion and people lose deposits.

Again the usual suspects would have us believe unscrupulous developers and dodgy developments happen only in thailand.

They are commonplace in the us, uk, oz in fact all over the west.

You are always taking a risk with such investments.

I dont think many people have lost money on off-plan property scams/failures in the UK over the last 20 years, maybe even much longer. Even Spain has cleaned up its act significantly since the 90s and apparently people who lost out back then will even be getting reimbursed by the banks who guaranteed the developments at the time.

Here loss is a regular occurrence and many of the losses arent even reported anywhere as many of the victims, just like the OP, dont know how to complain or where to complain to. As the sums involved are usually fairly small many probably just bite the bullet and accept the loss, and learn from their experience never to trust Thais.

And even if some of them do complain there is a good chance that the situation will be down-played to protect Thailand's image. Glasnost has no Thai translation that I am aware of.
There is very little consumer protection in Thailand and law enforcement here is feeble at best, and there are a hell of a lot of smarmy scam artists of all skin colours in the property business (and other businesses) here. People should be aware of this before signing the contract.

Good luck

http://m.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Emerald-group-accused-illegal-activities-Phuket/66330

i love this propaganda just a few months before

http://krabi-magazine.com/2015/11/28/emerald-development/

thing is, you can rent villas now in Phuket for the price of a holiday inn. 

Rent in Thailand. Invest elsewhere 

23 hours ago, swissie said:

I have met a few 100% atheists, freshly arriving in Thailand. After a condo-deal going sour, they have turned back to religion. Knowing that legally, there is nothing that will bring back all that good money. Only a merciful "act of god" may, under the best of circumstances. Amen and Cheers.

Ah yes religion the insurance of last resort. 

The office of Consumer Protection (apparently...) told me they can be used to monitor the case up to the court.

Does anybody know if they are efficient for that kind of claim ?

Most lawyers told me indeed that, if we are lucky, the case may be settled in 3 months. If not, it will take years :-)

6 hours ago, GPThai said:

The office of Consumer Protection (apparently...) told me they can be used to monitor the case up to the court.

Does anybody know if they are efficient for that kind of claim ?

Yes, which was why I mentioned them in the first reply to your initial question last week.

Though as with everything in Thailand, it will depend on which way the wind is blowing on the day.

• 3 months later...

Reality of these shoddy developers is they prey on individuals investing all they have in their developments.  They know the buyers wont risk or cant afford to loose more money to fight to recover the money owed to them.  

Similar stories in Pattaya with Gordon Gillen and TAG Group Thailand.  The only investors that got any of their cash back from condos anf houses that were never built or partially complete were those that were excessively persuasive early...  waiting for the law (6yrs later) to take care of matters allowed this scum bag to hide millions, sell off enough land to build a further planned 500+condos and then disappear without paying anyone the money they were owed...

Anyone know where Gordon Gillen is???  

He had plans to develop town 2up 2down style town houses in Phuket... be warned he ( or his wife Pla) could still be around scamming people 

• 2 months later...

what is the likely scenario if a condo development is more than half way complete and less than a year to completion and then runs out of cash or has too much debt?, does the bank finish it? does it lie as a empty building, does a white knight come in?

is this just as bad as say waterfont? or is there hope as probably 70% of constrution completed? I don't really see many almost finished condos lying deserted and unfinshed forever so maybe there's hope?

• 2 months later...