What’s your Favorite Thai Dish?

Inspire

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Easy, Khao Soi Gai. Every time I go up north, it's on the menu every day. 

+1 on the Khao Soi Gai.  

If you happen to be in Bangkok, there is a restaurant named "Craft Cafe" directly below the odd soi side of the Phra Khanong BTS that serves a terrific Khao Soi Gai along with some other Northern specialties.

20 minutes ago, dddave said:

+1 on the Khao Soi Gai.  

If you happen to be in Bangkok, there is a restaurant named "Craft Cafe" directly below the odd soi side of the Phra Khanong BTS that serves a terrific Khao Soi Gai along with some other Northern specialties.

Thanks, I've starred it on my Google Maps. Their dessert looks like it could be tasty too. 

6 hours ago, Ahab said:

To each his own, but you are missing out on some of the worlds best and tastiest food.  Pad Krapow chicken with two eggs on top. Fantastic.

How many spoonfuls of MSG is in that ?

all the folks in my wife's family make respectable khao tom muu but her mum makes the best...and she knows that I like it and always makes it 'specially...I watched her once and she does something tricky with the broth...

she serves it up with a handful of fresh coriander (cilantro)...tip top; the jasmine rice is poison fer my diabetes but who can resist?

I don't do half bad wid the Lobo masaman and green curry packets...the wife can smell what I'm doin' then comes downstairs to my kitchen and then silently scoops up half the contents of the wok into a bowl and scurries back up the stairs...since I been around they use a lot more fresh veges than they did before...

can't seem to get them interested in the indian curried pulses and flatbread, though...

7 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

...kwaitiao (set lek, naam sai)

For two years, I ate two bowls of "kwaitiao" every day for lunch when I could.  The big wide noodles (sen yai), no broth, with fried bean curd, lots of bean sprouts and green onion.  Black pepper, crushed peanuts and a lot of Prik Nam Som.  The old Chinese noodle seller in Loei was glad to see me every day.  He, like me, spoke a little Isaan dialect.  Enough to buy noodle soup.

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

MSG is a seasoning (it is called Accent in the USA), if you don't like it ask for it not to be used. I don't like sugar in many of my Thai food so I ask for only a little or no sugar when I order. I have never seen "spoonfuls" of MSG used and would think that would distort the flavor. I personally like MSG and believe most or all of the supposedly adverse effects are in people's minds (AKA psychosomatic).  

5 hours ago, Don Mega said:

"The FDA now says the addition of MSG to foods is GRAS, or ‘Generally Recognized As Safe’."

BBC - Is MSG as bad as it's made out to be ?

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/msg-myth-versus-science/#The_TLDR_version

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/monosodium-glutamate/faq-20058196

4 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Meh. If food needs it to make it tastier than it must be poor quality ingredients or badly cooked.

21 hours ago, jenifer d said:

i've had that, and the soup w/red ant eggs...

besides khao yam (southern spicy rice salad) and gaeng som (southern spicy/sour orange curry)

and various other uniquely southern curries whose name escape me now,

i love khao man gai (chicken on rice w/sauce) or yen ta fo ped (red spicy-sauced noodles w/duck)

one of the best meals i have EVER had in my life was right at the Thai/Lao border near Chiang Khan 

(actually in Laos, but were w/big police friend from an Isan city; think was drug deal,

a suspicion confirmed even further when we all had to leave suddenly shortly before midnight

instead of staying in our tents, and the cop drove off alone with his one friend)

the Laos boys brought home made lao khao (so smooth!) and Lao beer (great!)

and made homemade laab moo pa mai sook, RAW spicy minced salad with FRESH jungle pig

along with some of the moo pa yang,  same fresh jungle pig grilled on a fire, and grilled veggies, etc

and passion fruit and fresh, incredibly tasty and spicy nam prik (pounded chili paste/dip)

mouth is watering reading that

In the US I would prefer Thai food of course

Nasty ??? You do not need to eat snakes or crickets

Movies and TV: Almost not. Has nothing to do with food, anyway

So you agree a lot of Thai food is nasty, that's all I said.

I like Thai food, but I don't eat it when I'm in the US anymore than I would order an "American" breakfast here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.5.2017 at 7:08 PM, mogandave said:

So you agree a lot of Thai food is nasty, that's all I said.

I like Thai food, but I don't eat it when I'm in the US anymore than I would order an "American" breakfast here.

No, it's not what I said or agreed

No, it's not what I said or agreed

So you like the snakes and crickets, that's fine, I think they're nasty, whatever.

I also think the little bait-fish with the head bent back are nasty and along with a lot of other local crap. You love it all, so have at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a dish, but I love Thai BBQ, preferably all you can eat. Or pad Thai. I have to say the people I find that rave about how great Thai food is haven't stayed here for any extended period. Yeah everyone likes noodles or pork ribs with chili sauce. The Thai food in American or European restaurants is very westernized. Most people in Thailand are eating frog, ants, bits of burnt pork with a handful of rice, crickets, chicken feet, and stuff like that. I am very glad to get a pizza or visit Mcdonalds when staying in Thailand for any extended period!

45 minutes ago, rennie1988 said:

Not really a dish, but I love Thai BBQ, preferably all you can eat. Or pad Thai. I have to say the people I find that rave about how great Thai food is haven't stayed here for any extended period. Yeah everyone likes noodles or pork ribs with chili sauce. The Thai food in American or European restaurants is very westernized. Most people in Thailand are eating frog, ants, bits of burnt pork with a handful of rice, crickets, chicken feet, and stuff like that. I am very glad to get a pizza or visit Mcdonalds when staying in Thailand for any extended period!

have to agree, most westerners inside and outside thailand eat western style thai food. Thai food eaten by thais is more likely to be the lower quality (cheaper) vegetables, insects and meat and where we in the west eat the prime cuts and throw the rest of the animal away thais will eat pretty much the whole animal. so if you like the fat and gristle, innards, feet, brain, etc then you will enjoy real thai food. there is a an opinion that thai food is heavily flavoured to make up for the lack of flavour due to the lower quality ingredients

• 4 weeks later...

I've never been crazy about Thai food. I normally only eat it because it is cheap. I much prefer Chinese or Japanese. However, I will admit that some places do it better than others and the best places can be really good. Kow Ka Moo can he really tasty and Kow Mun Guy is a favorite. Pad Thai can be really delicious too, but apparently not very healthy. 

I like most Thai food.

But hold the ghostly white boiled chicken feet. They look like they may get up and walk off the plate.

Still a mystery to me why someone would eat that [emoji23]

• 1 month later...