What’s your Favorite Thai Dish?

Inspire

What’s your Favorite Thai Dish?

Orlando Barton

EPTAS-711.jpg

I’ve always said that the food in Thailand is the number two reason for living here.  For sure anyone who knows me personally is reading this and thinking, “Oh no, please don’t let him get going on Thai food”. For sure I consider it to be hands down the best cuisine in the world, bar none.  And I like to talk about it.

Last week I had launched into what was sure to be the beginning of a long and pontificating diatribe about the merits of Thai cuisine when my one-person new-to-Thailand audience interrupted and inquired, “So, what’s your favorite Thai dish?”  I grinned like an idiot, took a deep breath and nothing came out of my mouth.  I drew a total blank.  I was gob-smacked.  How could I not know the answer to that question?

I remember the first thing I ever ate in Thailand; Somtam Laos so packed with chilies I felt like I was eating the sun.  And I still liked it.  I remember the first time ever eating a fish served whole with the head on at a rustic seaside joint in Phuket.  I remember eating fried grasshoppers in a bar in Soi Cowboy.  How could I not just blurt out a favorite dish?

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/pattaya/whats-favorite-thai-dish/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-05-21

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaeng Kiew Wan Gai -

(Green Curry with Chicken)

or

Tom Kha Kai - 

(Chicken Coconut Soup)

Sometimes I think that's all I ever eat anymore !!

Edited by Rimmer
Thai script removed

Quite bored with Thai food really, after 13 years. When I go to a restaurant I really have to think hard about what I want or if want any of it.

Sure I miss it when I am overseas, but it doesn't take long to become ordinary again. My wife makes a dish with tempura pak boom. It usually gets my mouth watering, but probably because she only makes it when she is trying to impress farang guests and she brings her A-game.

If I had to choose it would be something with a curry. For dessert, mango with sticky rice is hard to beat.

Edited by canuckamuck

Yes, I love those Thai dinners in Chiang Mai for 50 baht, but what I like most about food there is the variety that Rimping supermarkets offer. Filled to the rafters with European and North American goods, there's no comparison anywhere else in Asia that I've been. So you can have the best of both worlds.

Pat Pak Ruam Gai (Stir-fried mix veggies with chicken)  :thumbsup:

Gotta be fresh out of the pan though.  If it's been sitting in a pan, cold and congealed, in a market or pay-with-a-card food mart then I pass it by.  :blush:
If cooked fresh on-the-spot, most every Thai cook can make this, whether in a restaurant or street cart, without screwing it up, and the majority of the time it comes out tasting pretty darn good.  :smile:

Add naam pla with a few chilies....Arroy Arroy!

But when I'm in the mood for exotic, Lanna food then nothing beats Kai Mot Daeng  (Red ant egg salad)  Best eaten cold.  

Kai-Mot-Dang.jpgflarge-090430165944.jpg

Edited by connda

CNN Travel did an article on the World's 50 best foods. Thailand is on the list in several places, but the number ONE World's Best Food according to CNN, beating out Italian Pizza, Peking Duck, and USA Ice Cream and Donuts, is......(drum roll please)....... Thai Masaman Curry. No small feat.

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/eat/worlds-50-most-delicious-foods-067535/

1 hour ago, connda said:

But when I'm in the mood for exotic, Lanna food then nothing beats Kai Mot Daeng  (Red ant egg salad)  Best eaten cold.  

Kai-Mot-Dang.jpgflarge-090430165944.jpg

i've had that, and the soup w/red ant eggs...

besides khao yam (southern spicy rice salad) and gaeng som (southern spicy/sour orange curry)

and various other uniquely southern curries whose name escape me now,

i love khao man gai (chicken on rice w/sauce) or yen ta fo ped (red spicy-sauced noodles w/duck)

one of the best meals i have EVER had in my life was right at the Thai/Lao border near Chiang Khan 

(actually in Laos, but were w/big police friend from an Isan city; think was drug deal,

a suspicion confirmed even further when we all had to leave suddenly shortly before midnight

instead of staying in our tents, and the cop drove off alone with his one friend)

the Laos boys brought home made lao khao (so smooth!) and Lao beer (great!)

and made homemade laab moo pa mai sook, RAW spicy minced salad with FRESH jungle pig

along with some of the moo pa yang,  same fresh jungle pig grilled on a fire, and grilled veggies, etc

and passion fruit and fresh, incredibly tasty and spicy nam prik (pounded chili paste/dip)

Steak and mash potato with steamed broccoli, cauliflower and Brussel sprouts  lathered with white sauce made from ingredients purchased with baht at my local supermarket and prepared at home in my kitchen at my house in Thailand.

Lush !!

The food served from carts and "thai" restaurants I would not feed to a pig.

Edited by Don Mega

I like the Thai Curries, both Massaman and Penang.There is a Thai place on Soi Bukhaow. Its a place that a lot of Thais and felangs go. The yellow curry is to die for, the favourite, i think.I'm sure posters will know it. Its out of Soi Lenkey, turn left and its not far past the TT exchange on the opposite side. Its always packed, and the tables sit four. The wall menu's are all in Thai, and you can go to the Fridge and help yourself to a beer, and it just goes on the bill.I often see a lot of bargirls in there. Its always worth a visit when in Pattaya.

Pad Siew Gai. Plus a small amount of chili.

There's a shop near the Clock Tower in Chiang Rai that sells the best Sai Ua. ( Northern Thai sausage ) Thais come from Bangkok to shop there. Perfect counterpoint to a beer.

My Thai GF makes a great sweet and sour with Chicken. No idea what she calls it. Aroi mak.

11 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Thai food would be  the last reason to come to Thailand for me. I am happy that Western food is available here.

To each his own, but you are missing out on some of the worlds best and tastiest food.  Pad Krapow chicken with two eggs on top. Fantastic.

It's difficult to say as there are at least a dozen of my favored meals. Would be easier to say what I don't like. I come to Thailand first time 3 decades ago and am living here since several years. I am not bored about the food and for me it is definitely 1 of several reasons to stay here. If someone needs McDonald, Sizzler and Pizza Hut or can only survive with western stuff from Tops or Rimping it's beyond my understanding of "living in Thailand". My exceptions: about 3 times per year Indian food, once a month cooking potatoes at home, from time to time a brownie and once a week a dark Swiss chocolate.

It's difficult to say as there are at least a dozen of my favored meals. Would be easier to say what I don't like. I come to Thailand first time 3 decades ago and am living here since several years. I am not bored about the food and for me it is definitely 1 of several reasons to stay here. If someone needs McDonald, Sizzler and Pizza Hut or can only survive with western stuff from Tops or Rimping it's beyond my understanding of "living in Thailand". My exceptions: about 3 times per year Indian food, once a month cooking potatoes at home, from time to time a brownie and once a week a dark Swiss chocolate.

Is it okay if Thais eat at Sizzler, KFC, McD's & Pizza Hut?

That's mostly who I see eating there...

Should people in the US not eat Thai food?

I like a lot of Thai food, but s lot of it is just nasty an most of it is not very healthy, not that I give much of a rip.

Do you watch western movies or TV?

One of my favorites is a vegetarian Yam Woon Sen my wife makes.  Glass noodles, bits of onion (shallot?), pepper, some chopped up deep-fried bean curd, lime juice and maybe coriander.  Eaten at room temp or cool.

Another is a Jao dip for sticky rice.  Mostly the large light-green peppers (Anaheim, Cubanelle ...?) roasted/toasted and mashed up with some hot pepper and various other things.  I believe it is a northern dish or condiment.

Her best isn't Thai - it's Vietnamese spring rolls. Meat or bean curd stuffing with noodles rolled in thin rice wrappers, deep fried until the outside is slightly browned and chewy.  Served with a tamarind and hot pepper dip.  They are a lot of work to make, so we don't have them often. 

Edited by Damrongsak

One of my favorites is a vegetarian Yam Woon Sen my wife makes.  Glass noodles, bits of onion (shallot?), pepper, some chopped up deep-fried bean curd, lime juice and maybe coriander.  Eaten at room temp or cool.

Another is a Jao dip for sticky rice.  Mostly the large light-green peppers (Anaheim, Cubanelle ...?) roasted/toasted and mashed up with some hot pepper and various other things.  I believe it is a northern dish or condiment.

Her best isn't Thai - it's Vietnamese spring rolls. Meat or bean curd stuffing with noodles rolled in thin rice wrappers, deep fried until the outside is slightly browned and chewy.  Served with a tamarind and hot pepper dip.  They are a lot of work to make, so we don't have them often. 

I love those fresh spring-rolls.

Mix the spicy sauce with the granulated peanuts, that's the sh*t right there Maynard...

34 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Should people in the US not eat Thai food? 

I like a lot of Thai food, but s lot of it is just nasty an most of it is not very healthy, not that I give much of a rip.

Do you watch western movies or TV?

In the US I would prefer Thai food of course

Nasty ??? You do not need to eat snakes or crickets

Movies and TV: Almost not. Has nothing to do with food, anyway

Edited by AlfonsV