Dog bitten on neck - what to do?

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:18 PM, Rc2702 said:

Correct on no dressing but it's been treated by the family (cleaned) Any ideas on cost for this treatment? Ball park?

No being hard t get along with but if your main concern is the cost and not the dog's best interests, then maybe you shouldn't have a dog.  Dogs can't talk and suffer in silence, you should have taken him to a vet rather than coming on here to ask questions. It's cruel to delay regardless of the cost.  Ask yourself this question, "What would I do if I suffered a similar injury?"  Then follow you own advice in respect to the dog.:wai:

Edited by Si Thea01

2 hours ago, Yme said:

Some people shouldn't be allowed to own animals (or have children) 

Who are you referring to... someone here?

Sometimes dogs will fight.. bite each other... because they are animals and we can't control them 100 percent 24 / 7.

In the case of this dog its only got a small wound on the neck.. which it had for only 2 days.  Its not got broken bones or suffering form cancer of some serious disease.

The guy is asking us what is best to help the dog... which shows he cares about it and is going to help it.

I would have taken my dogs to the hospital long before it reached this state. My dogs are family so what it costs is what it costs.

It is safe to give amoxicillin 250 mg to a dog. One morning and one evening before food. Continue for 10 days. But the vet should be priority. If cost is really an issue take your photo to a vet and ask the price. Bear in mind that you can get most medicines a lot cheaper from a pharmacy than from the vet.

If you read the OP it says that it's his misses family dog and he only gets to drive up country and see it on Sundays.  Depending where that might be a difficult day to find a vet.  If the OP would post the location, province/amphur, maybe someone could give him some better info on finding a vet but by now he has most likely done what is necessary and given up on posting anything further due to all of the negative comments from many of us CCGOFs that can't read!

3 minutes ago, BLACKJACK2 said:

Looks nasty, definitely needs a professional to look at it.

Where do you live, maybe someone can point you in the right direction.

Sorted yesterday thanks for your concern. Was a job keeping him on the moped but it was worth it. 650 baht. Cleaned isolated and the bite was already isolated by the dog it appears he caked it with sand to stem insects from eating him so the lad saved himself. Clever dog. Just got to figure out how to stop him eating food strangers give him and he'll be fine.

Thanks for the concern and advice provided by all. 

On 2017-5-24 at 9:06 AM, Si Thea01 said:

No being hard t get along with but if your main concern is the cost and not the dog's best interests, then maybe you shouldn't have a dog.  Dogs can't talk and suffer in silence, you should have taken him to a vet rather than coming on here to ask questions. It's cruel to delay regardless of the cost.  Ask yourself this question, "What would I do if I suffered a similar injury?"  Then follow you own advice in respect to the dog.:wai:

As someone has pointed out I am pretty far from the dog and where we live in kalasin there are 3 vets none of whom offer weekend or 24/7 support. The dog is 40 km from kalasin and knowing this area is very lax I knew it might make more sense to ask here than spend hours trying to find a vet. So I asked and then as I have no idea of such costs and given you hear about human medical work being costly I thought whilst I have the time I'll ask that too. The job got done the dogs nose is wet which as a poster mentioned, indicates he is healthy. You have to also consider the family who whilst not educated in a tradotional sense, have been around dogs much longer than me and no one was alarmed. The vet was not overly alarmed either to be honest. It was just a shock for me as I known the dog since he was 2 weeks old and like most of you, I question the judgement of those around me a lot but given its their dog their family I have to tread a bit more carefully so as not to upset them by taking over. If they asked for help that's another matter. Again thanks but some of you guys need to leave your sieve brains in the pub section or whetever and focus on the matter in hand instead of dishing out derogatory statements and overlooking vital information when matters like this arise. Not helpful at all.

Bikeman93 you are a true survivalist and your info was brilliant thanks.

On 23/5/2560 at 8:28 AM, meatboy said:

i would have to agree with sheryl on the above.the wife done 2x 10hr.trips to khon kaen to put our minds at rest after some appauling treatment our boy recieved.THIS YR.

x-ray,ultra sound,snap test,imizol injection,blood tests and medication total cost was 2,300bht.half what it would have cost locally.

then a month later she took him for his rabies plus,yearly inj.at a LOCAL VETS,she had to stop me from blowing the place to bits with the vet inside.they told my wife our boy was ill and needed this,this,and this,that frightned her so she paid up,they even said they had to do a snap test knowing full well he had a test 4weeks ago,that was just a part of the complete incompetant RIP OFF.

for those that dont know a follow up snap test should NOT be carried out for at least 12months.

so let us know how you get on with the treatment.

Why give a yearly rabies shot? We wouldn't back home (if the country gives rabies shots that is). World Small Animal Veterinary Association have recommended Thai to change to 3 years when they came to research Thai vets/conditions. However, vets do not change as they lose too much money (14% of annual income from vaccinations).  They will tell you things like the weather in Thai causes problems with the shot, but it is utter crap. My vet  told me that, then I told him to show me the research and he then came back a few weeks later to me and told me that he is surprised himself that rabies is sufficient for at least 3 years (challenge tested) no matter what the weather is. I knew there wouldn't be any research as the Association had made that point in their paper, that Thai had no research regarding vaccinations. Yearly shots are blocked by the previous shot, so all you're doing is giving unnecessary vaccines, which increases side effects, cancers etc. Vet ended up telling me he cannot change Thai recommendations, but he is 100% okay with giving our dogs 3 yearly from the research.