Canadian Killed In Robbery At Gunpoint

george

Canadian killed in robbery

BANGKOK: -- A Canadian man was shot dead and three compatriots injured in a robbery last night in their condominium off Sukhumvit Soi 18.

The lone robber climbed into the room on 10th floor of City Smart Condominium while the four Canadians, including victim Mark Jay Keffer, 42, and a number of foreign guests were celebrating Christmas.

The robber, apparently a Thai man, asked them to hand over their valuables at gunpoint.

He started shooting when a woman guest, a relative of room owner Norzachray Nordin, a Bruneian, hit him with her handbag. Keffer and all three injured people were later sent to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Thong Lor police station duty inspector Pol Maj Saravuth Dejsri said he suspected the robber, who had easy access to the room from a communal area, could have been tipped off about the party by people working or residing at the condo.

--The Nation 2006-12-26

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Canadian killed in Thailand

BANGKOK, Thailand – An armed thief opened fire at a Christmas party in Thailand killing a Canadian businessman and wounding three others, police said Tuesday.

Mark Jay Keffer, 42, was celebrating Christmas with his wife and six others Monday night at a relatives' condominium in the capital Bangkok when a man sneaked into the party from a balcony, Police Lt. Col. Sarawuth Dejsri said.

Keffer's wife hit the robber over the head with her handbag as he was collecting $400 (U.S.) and a digital camera from the party guests.

The thief became angry and started firing his pistol, killing Keffer and wounding his wife and a couple from Brunei, Sarawuth said. The wounds to the wife were not life threatening.

Authorities said Keffer worked in Brunei. Police were searching for the gunman.

Keffer's hometown was not available.

Source: Associated Press - 26 December 2006

BANGKOK: -- A Canadian man was shot dead and three compatriots injured in a robbery last night in their condominium off Sukhumvit Soi 18.

The lone robber climbed into the room on 10th floor of City Smart Condominium while the four Canadians, including victim Mark Jay Keffer, 42, and a number of foreign guests were celebrating Christmas.

The robber, apparently a Thai man, asked them to hand over their valuables at gunpoint.

He started shooting when a woman guest, a relative of room owner Norzachray Nordin, a Bruneian, hit him with her handbag. Keffer and all three injured people were later sent to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Thong Lor police station duty inspector Pol Maj Saravuth Dejsri said he suspected the robber, who had easy access to the room from a communal area, could have been tipped off about the party by people working or residing at the condo.

--The Nation 2006-12-26

In America anyone can own a gun as long as they are not a criminal. Aliens who establish residency by just living in a State can go out and buy a gun and anyone can buy a shotgun. Too bad we in the USA allow law abiding people to own a firearm but not here.

The woman should have come out with a shotgun and blown his head into pulp. Handbags do little against a firearm.

A very backwards country is Thailand in this regard.

Edited by yankee-expat

Canadian gunned down at Thailand Christmas party

A Canadian businessman was shot to death in Bangkok when a man opened fire during a Christmas party, police said Tuesday.

Mark Jay Keffer, 42, was with his wife and six others Monday night at a relative's condominium when a man snuck into the party from a balcony and began robbing the guests, police Lt.-Col. Sarawuth Dejsri said.

As the man was collecting $400 US and a digital camera from the guests, Keffer's wife apparently hit the robber over the head with her handbag.

The suspect became angry and started firing his gun, killing Keffer and injuring his wife and a couple from Brunei. The wounds to Keffer's wife were not life threatening.

Police are searching for the suspect.

Keffer worked in Brunei, authorities said. His hometown was not available.

Source: CBC - 26 December 2006

In America anyone can own a gun as long as they are not a criminal. Aliens who establish residency by just living in a State can go out and buy a gun and anyone can buy a shotgun. Too bad we in the USA allow law abiding people to own a firearm but not here.

The woman should have come out with a shotgun and blown his head into pulp. Handbags do little against a firearm.

We can only hope to be as safe from gun crime as they are in the US :o

Someone points a gun at me they can have it all, no questions asked.

Take the handbag, too.

If I see a chance I might have also done something stupid with the handbag....

If she can surprise him with the handbag and he loose his gun, she is an hero, if she fails everyone tells she did wrong....

Don't bring a handbag to a gunfight.......

We can only hope to be as safe from gun crime as they are in the US :D

Yes as they are in the US no shooting at all :o The safest contry to be in!!

By your standards, pretty much all countries in (western) Europe are very backwards.

I thought the US had one of the highest rates of deaths by firearms in the world, counting both accidents and murders. I sure don't want that in Thailand.

Of course the perp. is primarily at fault; but, hey, how about the building's management for creating a situation where any one can clamber around on the fire escape? I wonder if such activity is covered by the "commission" paid by the building's security compay to the managemt outfit? But T.I.T.

I agree with yankee-expat. The United States founders recognized that only a vigilant armed citizenry is an effective deterrent against armed criminals. Police are good only for taping off the crime scene AFTER the deed is done. If criminals are well aware that their intended victim is most likely armed, they will not risk a confrontation. However, in a country where the government has foolishly made it illegal to own self-defense weapons, criminals know going in that they are most likely going to find defense-less victims. Thus emboldened, they take the chance.

While the wife in this case was unlikely to have a shot gun at the ready, she may very well have had her own .357 Magnum. And if each of the other guests had their firearms, the thief would have found himself surrounded and outgunned. Not a bad formula for peace, I believe! Thailand is not alone in it's position regarding gun ownership. I believe this is more out of fear that an armed citizenry has the capacity to rise up against their masters than any other reason.

By your standards, pretty much all countries in (western) Europe are very backwards.

I thought the US had one of the highest rates of deaths by firearms in the world, counting both accidents and murders. I sure don't want that in Thailand.

the us also the highest rates of deaths by firearms outside their own country....

Too late. Thailand is already way ahead in that catagory.

Nation Master - Murders by firearm per capita

I think that most of the murders by handguns in the USA are in states that DO NOT allow the average citizen to carry a handgun. The higher the degree of gun control the higher the rate of murder by handgun. Look up the number of murders by race both doing the killing and being killed in the USA. It isn't the whites running around shooting the whites.

The US might have a high rate of deaths (by firearms) but you are seven times more likely to be murdered (with a firearm) in Thailand than in you are in the US.

That's gotta say something for "jai yen" hasn't it.

Edited by john b good

The US might have a high rate of deaths (by firearms) but you are seven times more likely to be murdered (with a firearm) in Thailand than in you are in the US.

That's gotta say something for "jai yen" hasn't it.

The thailand rate does not include all of the extra judicial killings or "suicides" either since neither would be considered murder

I agree with yankee-expat. The United States founders recognized that only a vigilant armed citizenry is an effective deterrent against armed criminals. Police are good only for taping off the crime scene AFTER the deed is done. If criminals are well aware that their intended victim is most likely armed, they will not risk a confrontation. However, in a country where the government has foolishly made it illegal to own self-defense weapons, criminals know going in that they are most likely going to find defense-less victims. Thus emboldened, they take the chance.

While the wife in this case was unlikely to have a shot gun at the ready, she may very well have had her own .357 Magnum. And if each of the other guests had their firearms, the thief would have found himself surrounded and outgunned. Not a bad formula for peace, I believe! Thailand is not alone in it's position regarding gun ownership. I believe this is more out of fear that an armed citizenry has the capacity to rise up against their masters than any other reason.

Iraq, they had guns, they had a dictator.

Japan has few guns and is really safe.

Do you really want to be at a party with a bunch of drunk people and have guns about? One stupid argument can lead to tragedy.

(oh and I am for the right to bear arms, I just think some of the extremists arguements are plain dumb)

Too late. Thailand is already way ahead in that catagory.

Nation Master - Murders by firearm per capita

I think that most of the murders by handguns in the USA are in states that DO NOT allow the average citizen to carry a handgun. The higher the degree of gun control the higher the rate of murder by handgun. Look up the number of murders by race both doing the killing and being killed in the USA. It isn't the whites running around shooting the whites.

Of course there is a lot more whites than blacks. If you put 5 white marbles in a can and 2 black ones, shake the can and pick one out by random you are more likely to get a white one (duh). Are there a higher percentage of black criminals than whites? Yes. There are a number of reasons for this BUT just saying that blacks kill more whites than whites kill blacks doesn't prove much.

Edited by lingyai

for farangs it's not allowed to defense themselves. they have to hand over their property or get killed. thats the thai-law. and than catches the police the murderer, he confesses, get life in prison, pays some money and get out of the prison after 2 years.

amazing thailand.does somebody know new from the policeman in kanchanaburi, who killed two english ?

is he now the chief of the tourist police or got he the dead penalty?

--The Nation 2006-12-26

First thing I would check is if the robber's related to the victims wife.

Sounds like a creative variation of the farang "falling" off his balcony

If criminals are well aware that their intended victim is most likely armed, they will not risk a confrontation. However, in a country where the government has foolishly made it illegal to own self-defense weapons, criminals know going in that they are most likely going to find defense-less victims. Thus emboldened, they take the chance.

Humm, it sounds like that thieves, instead of doing robbery 1st then shot in case of trouble would be more likely to shot 1st, then rob...

In Thailand, it could lead to a nice bloodbath, as it seems thieves really not care much about life of other people...

Looking at these stats :

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri_mur_w...ate-per-100-000

and the law per state here :

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/gov_gun_l...ibited-firearms

it seems there's not such general correlation between the control degree and the death by firearm rate, in one way or another... There are just too much of examples & counter-examples.

If she can surprise him with the handbag and he loose his gun, she is an hero, if she fails everyone tells she did wrong....

heros save lifes, not "$400 (U.S.) and a digital camera"... :o

This woman did a stupid mistake in a very emotional moment.

It looks like Thailand and indeed some other countries need to do some growing up in this area. What are the laws (if any) on carrying firearms in Thailand?

I understand that Thai law can be very harsh, but then again this is an emerging country that is growing up extremely fast; there will be some growing pains in the coming years unless some thought goes into issues such as this.

Personally I feel carrying a firearm automatically carries the stiffest sentence the state allows.

By the way where does most Thai gun crime take place, Bangkok? The South? with all its troubles?

I must say that to read yankee-expat's retort confused me. For the most part the americans I meet in S E asia are cool and enlightened. Well this dude has to be an exception. Western Europe backwards? I am not partisan and spend most/all of my time in China. Dude, do you also support the death penalty and George Bush? I hope you are a virtual traveller dude because people like you with their simple homespun bullshit frighten me.

I have better things to do than argue with someone from Stickville USA and so I'll just point to the comparison between the states and Cananda regarding statistics on the use of fire arms. Jeez

post-32619-1167120138_thumb.jpg

Edited by stelun

Condolences to the relatives of the dead Canadian. What an horrific and opportunistic crime!

i do not want to generalise from this incident, but feel angered when I hear of the innocent and vulnerable being attacked, murdered and frightened by vicious individuals or collaborators.

I recently travelled to Laos. At the airport I met an elderly Canadian woman who depended on a walking frame after a hip replacement operation. This old lady was "hiding out" in Laos (according to her story). Her house in a largish Thai town had been robbed, despite her recent installation of a "security system". Everything of value had been removed: in daylight hours. She was literally too afraid to go home, as she had been warned by friends that the robbers would return and would not hesitate to kill her if necessary. She had also been told that seeking Thai police protection was a waste of time. Her only option as she saw it was to sell the house and rent in Laos despite that country's lack of adequate medical services. I sincerely hope that incidents such as the two above do not indicate rising resentment of comparative farang wealth and a growth in violent crimes against "exposed" farangs in Thailand.

--The Nation 2006-12-26

ofcourse, giving every citizen a gun is the PERFECT way to stop people from shooting each other. how can thailand not see that :D oh wait, probably because thai people arent stupid enough to think the middle east is in australia :o