Chinese paper applauds anti-spy efforts after report CIA sources killed

webfact

Chinese paper applauds anti-spy efforts after report CIA sources killed

REUTERS

r11.jpg

China's national flag is seen behind hostesses waiting for delegates outside the Great Hall of the People during the second plenary session of the National People's Congress (NPC) in Beijing, China March 8, 2017. REUTERS/Damir Sagolj

BEIJING (Reuters) - An influential state-run newspaper applauded China's anti-espionage efforts on Monday after the New York Times said China had killed or imprisoned up to 20 CIA sources, hobbling U.S. spying operations in a massive intelligence breach.

The Chinese killed at least a dozen people providing information to the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency between 2010 and 2012, dismantling a network that was years in the making, the New York Times reported on Saturday.

China's Global Times, published by the official People's Daily, said in an editorial in its Chinese and English-language editions that, if true, it was a victory for China.

"If this article is telling the truth, we would like to applaud China's anti-espionage activities. Not only was the CIA's spy network dismantled, but Washington had no idea what happened and which part of the spy network had gone wrong," the paper said.

"It can be taken as a sweeping victory. Perhaps it means even if the CIA makes efforts to rebuild its spy network in China, it could face the same result," it said.

However the widely read paper, which is known for its strongly nationalist stance, said one part of the report was false.

"As for one source being shot in a government courtyard, that is a purely fabricated story, most likely a piece of American-style imagination based on ideology," it said.

The Chinese government has yet to respond to the report.

The Ministry of State Security, which oversees anti-spying operations, has no publicly available telephone number and no website, unlike other Chinese ministries.

While the New York Times' website is blocked in China, like those of many mainstream Western news organisations, the story has been widely discussed and its contents picked up in other Chinese media, especially by online news portals.

The story has attracted thousands of comments on Weibo, China's version of Twitter, with many people expressing glee that the spy ring was broken.

"Strike hard against spy traitors, protect the country's security!" wrote one Weibo user.

"Well done! Good on you China," wrote another.

(Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-22

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"Strike hard against spy traitors, protect the country's security!" wrote one Weibo user.

"Well done! Good on you China," wrote another.

And this is the country intent on spending several hundred billion dollars on extending its reach and influence - and, of course, its spy network.

27 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

And this is the country intent on spending several hundred billion dollars on extending its reach and influence - and, of course, its spy network.

Very astute. Yes its called the one belt one road or the new Silk Road. Its a fancy way to enter countries where the governments are on the ropes and with money buy them lock stock and barrel. Once in charge you can pretty well do as you please. Greece and Kyrgzstan are great examples and have been explained in detail the the Silk Road Show weekly on Channel News Asia. Yes we want to get into bed with the red dragon at our peril. The following is a conversation between Mr. Xi and Mr. Duterte at their last meeting all the while Mr. Xi had that big smile on his face. 

"We intend to drill oil there, if it's yours, well, that's your view, but my view is, I can drill the oil, if there is some inside the bowels of the earth because it is ours," Duterte said in a speech, recalling his conversation with Xi.

"His response to me, 'we're friends, we don't want to quarrel with you, we want to maintain the presence of warm relationship, but if you force the issue, we'll go to war."

Seems to me after many years of seeing the USA abandoning allies to the enemy ( hill tribe allies in Vietnam just one example ), if one wishes to sup with the devil one should use a long spoon.

No way of knowing how many of the spies were blackmailed into doing so for the US, but I'm assuming some were.

6 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Very astute. Yes its called the one belt one road or the new Silk Road. Its a fancy way to enter countries where the governments are on the ropes and with money buy them lock stock and barrel. Once in charge you can pretty well do as you please. Greece and Kyrgzstan are great examples and have been explained in detail the the Silk Road Show weekly on Channel News Asia. Yes we want to get into bed with the red dragon at our peril. The following is a conversation between Mr. Xi and Mr. Duterte at their last meeting all the while Mr. Xi had that big smile on his face. 

"We intend to drill oil there, if it's yours, well, that's your view, but my view is, I can drill the oil, if there is some inside the bowels of the earth because it is ours," Duterte said in a speech, recalling his conversation with Xi.

"His response to me, 'we're friends, we don't want to quarrel with you, we want to maintain the presence of warm relationship, but if you force the issue, we'll go to war."

Craig 3365 you have been rather quiet lately. I was wondering if you were still in country. 

4 hours ago, car720 said:

We talk about China wanting to control everything but I have a problem understanding why the US wants to be everywhere and knowing everything.  What is that old expression?  "Clean up your own back yard."

As much as the CIA has appeared to have made glaring mistakes in past decades, it's still a useful organization overall.  It's generally good for US leaders to know what other leaders/countries are doing. 

Here's a thumbnail example of what happened with Brit Intelligence, a few decades ago.  A Russian double agent was working clandestinely with the Brits.   Americans were planning a large 'joint military exercise' event involving major western European militaries.   Moscow was deeply troubled, thinking it was a ruse to invade.  Indeed, Russkies were so worried, that they considered a pre-emptive nuke strike on Germany, France, and Britain.  They were at highest alert.  It was arguably closer to a nuke war than the Cuban Missile Crisis.  

That lone Russian mole in London was aware of the tension, and alerted his Brit handlers who in turn alerted the Americans.   The American prez then called the Soviet leader and the Americans toned down the military exercise.  Disaster was averted.  

Here's now this relates to today:  Trump has not submitted names for nominees for nearly all vacancies at the State Dept and other intelligence agencies.  There are no deputy leaders in many top departments.  Many career State Dept, and some CIA operatives have quit in protest against Trump.   In other words, the State Dept and other intelligence agencies in the US are woefully understaffed.  One thing that will come of it is:  the US will be 'out of the loop' re; foreign intelligence.  It doesn't help that Trump has proven he can't be trusted with sensitive data.  If Trump can't be trusted to not shoot his big mouth off, then that reflects badly on everyone else in the vast US intelligence network - because everything deemed important, makes it's way up to the top of the pyramid.    

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Craig 3365 you have been rather quiet lately. I was wondering if you were still in country. 

Been gone since mid April. Long trip covering 11 countries! Though Andorra,  Monaco and San Marino are covered rather quickly. LOL

In Luxembourg now with a few spare days before blitzing through Italy to France over the next 3 weeks. I HATE typing on a tablet!

8 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

And of course they are not allowed that, because that's the privilege of the US only, isn't it?

The US is slipping on many levels, mostly due to Trump vast incompetance and corruption.   Chinese and Russian intelligence entities are happy about this.  The more the US declines, the more the other countries fill the voids.   Iranian, Pakistani and N.Korean agencies are also gleeful.    It's a bit like the US steel or auto industries.   Once the most robust worldwide, now just a shadow of their former glory.    

Note: A Swiss company called Elextra is coming out with an all-electric car to challenge Tesla.  

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Every major nation does this. Not just the US or China.

I know, but from the the comment of the other member, it sounded as if the Chinese were not allowed to protect their country because they spied themselves.

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I know, but from the the comment of the other member, it sounded as if the Chinese were not allowed to protect their country because they spied themselves.

Don't feed the trolls. And spying isn't always about protecting your nation. Especially when it comes to the Chinese.

7 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

The US is slipping on many levels, mostly due to Trump vast incompetance and corruption.   Chinese and Russian intelligence entities are happy about this.  The more the US declines, the more the other countries fill the voids.   Iranian, Pakistani and N.Korean agencies are also gleeful.    It's a bit like the US steel or auto industries.   Once the most robust worldwide, now just a shadow of their former glory.    

Note: A Swiss company called Elextra is coming out with an all-electric car to challenge Tesla.  

The OP is related to events which took place between 2010-2012. Far as I recall, Trump wasn't POTUS at the time. I doubt that any intelligence agency actually considers their US counterparts as "shadow of their former glory", but don't let that disrupt the narrative.