British woman, 22, who 'could lose leg' after Thailand motorbike crash in race against time to raise £100,000

webfact

Yorkshire woman, 22, who 'could lose leg' after Thailand motorbike crash in race against time to raise £100,000

CHRIS BURN, MULTIMEDIA REPORTER

je.jpg

Jenni Evans is badly injured in a Thai hospital'/YORKSHIRE POST

SHEFFIELD: -- The family of a 22-year-old Yorkshire woman fear she may lose her leg unless £100,000 can be raised to fly her home after being involved in a motorbike accident in Thailand.

Jenni Evans, from Sheffield Road, Barnsley, was a passenger on a motorbike when she was involved in a serious accident on Ko Pha Ngan island on Thursday, May 11.

The Barnsley Council worker was on the holiday of a lifetime with her boyfriend Joe when the accident occurred, causing substantial damage to her right leg.

Due to a misunderstanding around what British driving licenses will allow you to do abroad, Jenni was not insured to be on the motorbike, though she was unaware of this at the time.

Full story: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/yorkshire-woman-22-who-could-lose-leg-after-thailand-motorbike-crash-in-race-against-time-to-raise-100-000-1-8555577

-- YORKSHIRE POST 2017-05-23

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

Jenni was not insured to be on the motorbike, though she was unaware of this at the time.

so did she have travelers insurance ?

get the boyfriend to throw in some cash.

you run the risk every time in Thailand ....  folks must be aware of that ....

hope she gets home alright and adjusts for the future ...

Edited by steven100

So many accidents involving Brits who themselves go through training that is the best in the world, you would think it would not happen to a Brit.

It comes down to local driving and boy can I say I have seen it close up.

pack a body bag must be added to UK Th>>>>> website soon please

The driving license doesn't have that much to with things. Maybe she was or was not licensed to drive motorbikes.  That doesn't define how insured one is. If you weren't licensed, I can assure you that your USA insurance company would pretty much decline anything.  She apparently went without travel insurance, all which require an additional rider for "hazardous" or outdoor activities such as motorbikes, jet skis, quads, etc. 

There's something disingenuous about the appeal. The Koh Samui hospital will treat her and I suspect she is at no greater risk of losing her leg there than she would be at a NHS hospital in Yorkshire. It sounds as though the 100k is needed to pay the hospital bill which will then release her to fly home and get free treatment on the NHS, all of this because she didn't have the correct drivers license. I don't mean to appear callous but this seems to be an appeal to bail out a person because of their own ignorance of licensing laws and using the allegedly poor quality of Thai hospitals as an excuse.

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

There's something disingenuous about the appeal. The Koh Samui hospital will treat her and I suspect she is at no greater risk of losing her leg there than she would be at a NHS hospital in Yorkshire. It sounds as though the 100k is needed to pay the hospital bill which will then release her to fly home and get free treatment on the NHS, all of this because she didn't have the correct drivers license. I don't mean to appear callous but this seems to be an appeal to bail out a person because of their own ignorance of licensing laws and using the allegedly poor quality of Thai hospitals as an excuse.

Jenni Evans, from Sheffield Road, Barnsley, was a passenger on a motorbike

Can you read? she was a passenger so no license needed

Engage brain b4 fingers

1 minute ago, wakeupplease said:

Engage brain b4 fingers

"Due to a misunderstanding around what British driving licenses will allow you to do abroad, Jenni was not insured to be on the motorbike",

So now there's a new law that says passengers on motorbikes must have a valid license otherwise their travel insurance/medical becomes invalid, really, wow, who ever would have known that!

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

"Due to a misunderstanding around what British driving licenses will allow you to do abroad, Jenni was not insured to be on the motorbike",

So now there's a new law that says passengers on motorbikes must have a valid license otherwise their travel insurance/medical becomes invalid, really, wow, who ever would have known that!

Where did you get or make up that from?

Where is this new law

Passengers on M/C in the UK are not required to have a license just like car passengers do not have to. To try and put that inlaw would be against discrimination laws, never going to happen as courts here are bloody expensive.

Just now, wakeupplease said:

Where did you get or make up that from?

Where is this new law

Passengers on M/C in the UK are not required to have a license just like car passengers do not have to. To try and put that inlaw would be against discrimination laws, never going to happen as courts here are bloody expensive.

It's a direct quote from the link above, The Yorkshire Post...http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/yorkshire-woman-22-who-could-lose-leg-after-thailand-motorbike-crash-in-race-against-time-to-raise-100-000-1-8555577

Sorry, what were you saying about engaging something or other!

5 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

It's possible that the boyfriend didn't have a bike license, always read the fine print on your policy before travelling.

1 minute ago, harada said:

It's possible that the boyfriend didn't have a bike license, always read the fine print on your policy before travelling.

OK, but I don't understand why the boyfriends license or lack of should invalidate her medical insurance. I wonder if he had a provisional, she had a full and she thought it was OK for him to drive because he was accompanied by a fully qualified driver, applying UK law in Thailand is interesting. Whatever, I hope she gets better soon but I don't hold out much hope for the hospital bill, it will have to be paid.

All travel insurances has this exclusion, among many others, that you're

not covered for accidents while you're a rider/passenger on a non public

transportation mode, and as such, no claims will be accepted....

10 minutes ago, harada said:

Here is the answer simoh1490

If the driver and she was not the driver does not have a license I.E. international, it will invalid insurance.

All tourists to Thailand are required to have an International Drivers' License on ... Motorbike drivers and their passengers are required by law to wear helmets.

One of the few comments on M/C on, well you do what I just did.

I will give you this, its written badly so miss leading.

But if you think about it, if you did not have a Bus Driving License you could not travel on a bus. Its an insurance get out if you know what I am saying.

37 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Engage brain b4 fingers

Please read post #11 ....  and engage brain b4 fingers ...  :shock1:

This isn't the first appeal we have heard of for situations like this and it won't be the last. Sadly between travel insurance companies having clauses that invalidate your claim, for reasons both valid and iffy, and the dangerous nature of Thailand roads, and the driving license issue, travelers here will keep finding themselves in this position.

People need to understand where they are going, the risks of going there and read the fine print on their insurance.

Indeed, darksidedog. The fly home or lose leg scenario seems a bit sensationalist (I'm sure the Thai hospital is gonna be very pleased with that angle), and really takes away from those cases where flying home is the only realistic option. I'm sure whatever treatment she needs is available in Thailand, at a price. More like a no money for medical fees story which, as you say, is becoming commonplace here. 

Edited by nausea
Grammar

Just another b's reason Insurance companies can deny pay out. They will do anything not to pay out. Vultures.

Makes me bloody angry when people come here, get involved in accidents, then start moaning about Thai hospitals. 

Most hospitals here provide a service equally as good as most British hospitals.

They arrive here thinking i am invincble, i can do anything, but when things go wrong, they miscall the people who are trying to help them.

Make out Thai hospitals are useless, just to get people t o donate money to pay for their <deleted>ups

2 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Engage brain b4 fingers

Yes, but did the driver have a licence to drive a motorcycle?

And an IDP.

Not the issue really but, well young people are callous as the locals about the potential risks.

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

All travel insurances has this exclusion, among many others, that you're

not covered for accidents while you're a rider/passenger on a non public

transportation mode, and as such, no claims will be accepted....

They don't!

Despite quoting language from an insurance policy in another thread last week many TV posters still believe the myth rather than the fact.

Certain policies exclude riding a motorcycle as a driver or passenger, others do not exclude such activities, others will provide coverage subject to a helmet being worn.

Unless you read the individual policy you will not have any idea whether coverage should be provided or not.

Edited by madmitch

1 minute ago, YetAnother said:

i think in general you are not insured here unless you have a valid thai DL (which tourists cannot get)

Not so, you can be insured as long as you have an IDP.

And tourists can get a Thai drivers license, if they want to.

Edited by simoh1490

1 hour ago, wakeupplease said:

Here is the answer simoh1490

If the driver and she was not the driver does not have a license I.E. international, it will invalid insurance.

All tourists to Thailand are required to have an International Drivers' License on ... Motorbike drivers and their passengers are required by law to wear helmets.

One of the few comments on M/C on, well you do what I just did.

I will give you this, its written badly so miss leading.

But if you think about it, if you did not have a Bus Driving License you could not travel on a bus. Its an insurance get out if you know what I am saying.

there are 2x types of insurance in this discussion, Travel insurance and rider insurance - they are two different things

I have read a clause in travel insurance that excludes cover completely licence or not and in some cases public transport (MB Taxi tuk tuk etc) are also excluded - it just depends, there may also be an option for extra cover for such things, if the driver does not have a licence and she was a passenger then all bets are off also

If on the other hand  you hire a motorbike and have a licence that covers it (usually under 120cc) you may be covered with travel insurance (you need to read the exclusions) - you could also take out rider insurance here in Thailand but again you need a licence  

The likelihood here is that neither of them had a licence to ride a motorbike and the travel insurance excluded them anyway if rented licence or not, either way if they can get out of paying we all know they will find it

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

yes that is possible and up to the insurance company to make their rules, this is not about conforming to law

One of the problems here in Rayong is that there is basically no public transport at night and is very poor even during the daytime so people hire scooters for 200 baht a day. I see older couples riding scooters who are a danger to themselves and other road users. For one older couple who stayed with us we got a beach restaurant to drop them back to our resort when they'd had the day on the beach with them. 

Renting a m/c costs  250 THB a day in Ao Nang. At this price none of the rental companies pay for comprehensive insurance on their bikes, relying on the mandatory 3rd party government insurance.

Pororbor (3rd party) insurance on a motorbike covers you for very little; max 30k if it is your fault, 50k if it is not your fault and the other party is insured.

This is invalid if you do not have a Thai m/c licence or a valid m/c licence and IDP from overseas.

Since no rental company here in this town ever asks to see your license and since few visitors either have a m/c license or an IDP you can assume that the majority of renters riding in this country are uninsured.

The easiest way to eliminate this problem is to make all rental companies take out group comprehensive insurance to cover the m/c's they rent out. This will significantly increase the cost of rental and deplete the income of the renters who cover most of the sidewalks in this town. However, when I used to rent out m/c's I could not find a company willing to write comprehensive insurance on a rental m/c. and gave up renting.

In my opinion there should also be an outright ban on renting large capacity bikes unless they are accompanied on a group tour by a qualified person. It is incredible that someone with no experience and no license can come to this country and rent a 200 kph big bike and put themselves and other road users in danger without any apparent government intervention.