Man, 20, dies as sports bike slams head-on into pickup at high speed

webfact

Man, 20, dies as sports bike slams head-on into pickup at high speed

Eakkapop Thongtub

1495504323_1-org.jpg

The motorbike rider, 20-year-old Chalermchart Podok, died at the scene from the impact. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A 20-year-old man died yesterday afternoon after his 1,000cc sport motorbike slammed head-on into a pickup truck at high speed in Chalong.

Wichit Police were notified of the accident at about 3pm.

Police arrived to find rescue workers from the Ruamjai Kupai foundation already at the scene, near the Phuket Animal Rescue Foundation on Kwang Rd, reported Lt Col Narong Muangduong of the Wichit Police.

In the middle of the road was an Isuzu D-Max pickup truck with a heavily damaged front end. On the ground in front of it was an obliterated Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R sport bike.

Dead at the scene was the motorbike rider, 20-year-old Chalermchart Podok, dressed in black jeans and a T-shirt.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/man-20-dies-as-sports-bike-slams-head-on-into-pickup-at-high-speed-62254.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-23

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Bobobirdiebuddy said:

You see it everyday - every kid on a bike thinks he's Valentino Rossi zooming through Bangkok (or anywhere in the LOS).  Very sad and it will never change.

You may be right seeing the damage to the scooter and the pickup indicating a high speed collision.  But given that the wreckage is in the wrong lane and the pickup driver claims he was pulling out into traffic and didn't see the scooter, I don't think Valentino Rossi (whoever that is- gotta admit I don't follow racing) could have dodged that bullet either.  I've seen a lot of interviews with race car drivers that admit the most hazardous driving they do is on the streets where the idiots roam.

I'm more disturbed by the number of local drivers (2 and 4 wheel) that pull out into traffic and then (and only maybe at that) look to see if the lane is clear.

“Mr Kittiphiiboon said that he was pulling out from the side of the road to head towards Chao Fa West Rd when the motorbike slammed into the front of his pickup at high speed,” Col narong said.

Police said they had yet to confirm Mr Kittiphiboon’s version of events with CCTV cameras in the area.

Edited by impulse

RIP.

very expensive MOTORCYCLE NOT SCOOTER for a twenty year old Thai kid, approaching the top end of Kawasaki's lineup. I looked at one two days ago in Hua Hin.

1000 cc is like rocket ship power.

my Kawasaki 650 has incredible acceleration.  

and now they have a 1400cc model so your body is catapulted even further.

Edited by NCC1701A

7 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

a ZX10R is not a scooter 

Where I come from, if it's got 2 wheels, it's lovingly referred to as a scooter or a sled.  

I've got a buddy whose scooter is powered by a 5 liter Chevy V8.  He still calls it a scooter.

Edited by impulse

That's serious damage so clearly the bike was traveling. if they do have CCTV of it, I suspect as impulse has suggested, that the pick up pulled out too quickly without checking both directions to see if it was clear. One moment the bike has a clear road, the next there is a pick up there and zero time to avoid the collision.

Both at fault, but the pick up would be my prime suspect as the main cause.

1 minute ago, darksidedog said:

That's serious damage so clearly the bike was traveling. if they do have CCTV of it, I suspect as impulse has suggested, that the pick up pulled out too quickly without checking both directions to see if it was clear. One moment the bike has a clear road, the next there is a pick up there and zero time to avoid the collision.

Both at fault, but the pick up would be my prime suspect as the main cause.

Last sentence in the linked article says they're considering charging the pickup driver for reckless driving causing a death.  Since it's not a Ferrari, BMW or Mercedes, they may actually do it.

Sad case all around. 

I ride a motorcycle all over Thailand.

What happens is Thai drivers, when they decide to look (which is rare), see a single headlight and assume your motorcycle is a scooter. They don't realize your are going 100 kilometers a hour on the highway and think they can just cut you off like they do with scooters.

this might be different as this Thai kids race around on surface streets late at night with no helmet and have no chance to react when you are going 120+KPH.

as you can see here Kawasaki beats all types of cars in the 1/4 mile. 

39 minutes ago, impulse said:

You may be right seeing the damage to the scooter and the pickup indicating a high speed collision.  But given that the wreckage is in the wrong lane and the pickup driver claims he was pulling out into traffic and didn't see the scooter, I don't think Valentino Rossi (whoever that is- gotta admit I don't follow racing) could have dodged that bullet either.  I've seen a lot of interviews with race car drivers that admit the most hazardous driving they do is on the streets where the idiots roam.

I'm more disturbed by the number of local drivers (2 and 4 wheel) that pull out into traffic and then (and only maybe at that) look to see if the lane is clear.

“Mr Kittiphiiboon said that he was pulling out from the side of the road to head towards Chao Fa West Rd when the motorbike slammed into the front of his pickup at high speed,” Col narong said.

Police said they had yet to confirm Mr Kittiphiboon’s version of events with CCTV cameras in the area.

The bike was probably riding faster than the pickup driver expected.

Other traffic here is simply not used to and geared to higher speeds, which is why I sold my big bike, too dangerous. No matter the size, you're still a scooter rider to other traffic.

13 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

What happens is Thai drivers, when they decide to look (which is rare), see a single headlight and assume your motorcycle is a scooter. They don't realize your are going 100 kilometers a hour on the highway and think they can just cut you off like they do with scooters.

this might be different as this Thai kids race around on surface streets late at night with no helmet and have no chance to react when you are going 120+KPH.

Most large bikes have twin head-lights nowadays. Still, I get your point.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

The bike was probably riding faster than the pickup driver expected.

Other traffic here is simply not used to and geared to higher speeds, which is why I sold my big bike, too dangerous. No matter the size, you're still a scooter rider to other traffic.

That's a very good possibility looking at the extent of the damage.

I bought a 2nd hand scooter (Fino), drove it around my Asoke neighborhood for a couple of hours and it has sat under cover in the parking lot ever since- that's 4 years.  Like Dirty Harry says, "A man's got to know his limitations".  Driving a scooter safely in BKK traffic isn't within mine.

Riding a big bike in this country myself I KNOW that the majority of the car drivers has no clue about how fast a bike approaches and even if, they just <deleted> ignore it, as it is only a bike and they sit in a more important car, specially Fortuna and Hilux - drivers love to do so.

Maybe they guy was too fast on his Kawa but the highest risk for bikers in this country are the car drivers.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity removed.

I saw the video of this and the 4sshole in the pickup crossed a double yellow line before the bike it him. He should be thrown in jail for murder. But 500 baht fine probably as usual, and the carnage continues... 

Edited by SS1

There is a video of the accident on the Internet.  In my humble opinion the pick up driver was not entirely at fault ... if at all. Note I said humble. The motorbike was going at a huge rate of knots and in normal driving circumstances he should have had enough time to avoid the pick up.

5 hours ago, Bobobirdiebuddy said:

You see it everyday - every kid on a bike thinks he's Valentino Rossi zooming through Bangkok (or anywhere in the LOS).  Very sad and it will never change.

At least the <deleted> only killed himself and not others.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity removed.

"Mr Kittiphiiboon said that he was pulling out from the side of the road to head towards Chao Fa West Rd when the motorbike slammed into the front of his pickup at high speed."

I presume the motorcycle rider was overtaking, although that is not mentioned in the report.  Speeding?  No doubt!  But the pickup driver obviously didn't check the road before he pulled out.  Had he done so, and had a bit of sense, he would have waited until the motorcycle passed; but, as is the usual here, "My side of the road, I'll go when I want, so I don't need to look".

My money's on the pickup driver getting done for it.

not familiar with the road but this bike was very obviously traveling at very high speed 150kph + the pickup driver could probably see far enough if the bike rider had been doing 50kph or actually at the speed limit of the road

The bike was unlikely to belong to the rider most likely a dealer or rental company

RIP 

AHA! 

Right away we know it was a Thai man who got himself killed.

WHY?

Because the headline did not say "foreigner dies in crash".

It is long overdue for Thai Visa to cease supporting the unthinking racial discrimination that is cemented into the Thai way of life.

Unless of course Thai Visa also believes that there are only 2 nationalities in the world - Thais and foreigners?

Edited by robsamui

9 hours ago, impulse said:

Where I come from, if it's got 2 wheels, it's lovingly referred to as a scooter or a sled.  

I've got a buddy whose scooter is powered by a 5 liter Chevy V8.  He still calls it a scooter.

It's also a name for boys and dogs, right?

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

If you are doing 100 KpH, you are already breaking the law yourself !

More and more young guys on big bikes tearing up and down the roads like they are racetracks (one just gone past now).

I don't know what urinates me off more- middle aged foreigners racing around or the young Thais- they clearly have little concern for their lives (cue all the 'you don't understand man' comments) or those of others. Why does someone need to accelerate from 0- 100kph plus between the two sets of lights in Kamala- it doesn't impress me one bit. A split second's lack of concentration and they (or an innocent bystander) are raspberry jam.

Not only are they unnecessary noise pollution they have little place on the dangerous roads in Phuket.

6 hours ago, Deli said:

Riding a big bike in this country myself I KNOW that the majority of the car drivers has no clue about how fast a bike approaches and even if, they just <deleted> ignore it, as it is only a bike and they sit in a more important car, specially Fortuna and Hilux - drivers love to do so.

Maybe they guy was too fast on his Kawa but the highest risk for bikers in this country are the car drivers.

If you ride a bike at the speed this one was travelling at then anything and everything is going to be a threat

No, I dont know what speed was involved, but I dont need to know as I am not blind

1 hour ago, robsamui said:

AHA! 

Right away we know it was a Thai man who got himself killed.

WHY?

Because the headline did not say "foreigner dies in crash".

It is long overdue for Thai Visa to cease supporting the unthinking racial discrimination that is cemented into the Thai way of life.

Unless of course Thai Visa also believes that there are only 2 nationalities in the world - Thais and foreigners?

Yep, that well-known Welsh name should have given it away. Dead at the scene was the motorbike rider, 20-year-old Chalermchart Podok

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

RIP.

very expensive MOTORCYCLE NOT SCOOTER for a twenty year old Thai kid, approaching the top end of Kawasaki's lineup. I looked at one two days ago in Hua Hin.

1000 cc is like rocket ship power.

my Kawasaki 650 has incredible acceleration.  

and now they have a 1400cc model so your body is catapulted even further.

C/mon dude, don't exaggerate now...

Kawa 650 twin - incredible acceleration...

When you look at the neighborhood, there is no logical reason for such speed.  But then again drivers of all kinds of vehicles don't seem to have logic in mind while on public roads.  And I saw it today many, many times both cars and  motorbikes pull out in traffic first then look to see if they are in any danger.  As a rule I'm the slow guy in the slow lane looking at the chaos all around me.

I owned a ZRX1200, not a fast as the 10, and it scared the hell out of me.  It would accelerate much faster than it stops....thus this guy ended the way he did.  RIP.