Uber and double-pricing

33 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Not in the half dozen previous times I've checked. Just checked and was quoted B535 with info saying price slightly higher due to increased demand. :coffee1:

Well I think I have taken UberX at least a half dozen times to the airport, and I always paid the flat rate. Could be because they were all very early in the morning.

38 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Thanks for the update. Yes, the one time I asked for an Uber ride I was told the traffic surcharge would apply and the fare would be 1500B. I am happy to hear that doesn't happen now and that the fare is lower.

Does the 300 baht include the tolls?

No, they add the tolls on to your fare. 

Keep in mind that there are UberX cars and UberBlack cars. Could be that you requested UberBlack, which would be more expensive than UberX. I find UberX cars to be perfectly adequate if it's just me. That's something like a Honda City class car.

On 5/26/2017 at 10:40 PM, Gary A said:

Uber has a great app. It works quite well. As far as prices, I have gotten their prices a few times and have not used them yet. I thought the prices would be better but that has not been the case.

When UBER are operating on 1.0x fare basis they are cheaper than a regular taxi. 

As soon as it becomes busy and they operate with surcharge i.e.1.2x they can start to become more expensive. 

Also, while I have been a supportive of UBER over the past year or two I have started to see some 'Thainess' creeping into their service... Drivers are 'encouraged' (by UBER) to accept fares or face the risk of having their 'rating' lowered (by UBER), this is to ensure customer service. However, being the cheeky devils they are drivers who 'accept your fare but really don't want it' become deliberately awkward, they take the 'long way' to get to you, they even drive past numerous times, claim they are lost and can't find your destination.... (I've seen this a handful of times). They don't want to cancel the fare themselves as this may also lead to their 'rating' being effected. They are deliberately being difficult in the hope that we will cancel the trip. 

UBER has a basic form or recourse, but the complain through the application is a little too far removed from customer service IMO and simply sends out a generic response...

This is all still much better than a regular taxi. And in Bangkok the Grab alternative is still a good one. 

If I'm not mistaken (someone told me) that GrabTaxi must have rear seatbelts, in which case I'll be using them more.

**SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC** If anyone can confirm that GrabTaxi must have seatbelts in the rear seats it would be useful to this thread and those wishing to make informed choices. 

On 5/30/2017 at 2:02 PM, richard_smith237 said:

When UBER are operating on 1.0x fare basis they are cheaper than a regular taxi. 

As soon as it becomes busy and they operate with surcharge i.e.1.2x they can start to become more expensive. 

Also, while I have been a supportive of UBER over the past year or two I have started to see some 'Thainess' creeping into their service... Drivers are 'encouraged' (by UBER) to accept fares or face the risk of having their 'rating' lowered (by UBER), this is to ensure customer service. However, being the cheeky devils they are drivers who 'accept your fare but really don't want it' become deliberately awkward, they take the 'long way' to get to you, they even drive past numerous times, claim they are lost and can't find your destination.... (I've seen this a handful of times). They don't want to cancel the fare themselves as this may also lead to their 'rating' being effected. They are deliberately being difficult in the hope that we will cancel the trip. 

UBER has a basic form or recourse, but the complain through the application is a little too far removed from customer service IMO and simply sends out a generic response...

This is all still much better than a regular taxi. And in Bangkok the Grab alternative is still a good one. 

If I'm not mistaken (someone told me) that GrabTaxi must have rear seatbelts, in which case I'll be using them more.

**SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC** If anyone can confirm that GrabTaxi must have seatbelts in the rear seats it would be useful to this thread and those wishing to make informed choices. 

Apparently all taxis must have rear seat belts now. The police were checking at a toll booth on the way from Suvarnabhumi.

• 2 weeks later...