Speeding fines in Thailand

3 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I am curious to knew who you paid the fines to. Strange two different companies.

My wife over the span of 2017 managed to collect 10 speeding tickets. Being Thai she just ignored them. Coming home one day, two months ago, there was a notice from a debt collecting company pinned to the gate demanding payment of the fines. Next day a of couple guys came asking the wife about payment arrangements. This was a registered debt collecting company.

According to one of the wife's friends, depending on the amount and time outstanding the authorities are using debt collectors for a percentage fee.

Fines total was 2 at 1000 baht and 8 at 500 baht

Great info sharing thanks :)

So i'm gathering the following from the speed cam billing: seems to be run privately similar to the toll roads with debt collectors etc involved lol. So if you're actually living at the address specified when buying a car you might actually have to consider paying :)

If they want a fair system that can be respected then they have to link the car reg. address to the tax payments or something that is regularly updated because who will continuously update the motor office of your moves on say a 10 year old car? Well I've moved apartments like 5 times within the few years I've owned my car so it works for me with last tax done in June with no problem as others reported.

As for the actual police doing any speed checks by themself that's getting les common I think with the going rate typically 500B at main stations but I think 200-300 some upcountry minor roads/ sub stations.

Massive road improvement/expansion/resurfacing going on nationwide continuously so why would we slow down if conditions are good? :)

On 5/23/2017 at 10:49 PM, Hereinthailand said:

Just another accident waiting to happen.

you right,maybe a good driver but all the other stupid driver who do stupid think on the rd. and the scooter all over the place going the wrong way! yes you going to crash some day!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyone out there that knows the time in which they have to issue the ticket so it is recieved by you in a reasonable time? In the UK for intance it has to be recieved within 14 days of the alledged offence.
I recieved one from a trip to Chiang Mai last month and paid it promptly. Then today I recieced another for the same day but a different time. This, a full month after the offence. There must be a time limit on the issuance of the ticket.
I do not know if Thailand is the same as other western countries but an arguement could be made yhat there is no injured party being presented, so a fine is not payable. Especially to a revenue collection company. Anyone who knows if it is incumbant upon the authority to issue the demand in a spdcific time and where this may be referenced.
It seems to me that you could potentally be finded hundreds or even thousands of times on a long journey if they installed cameras every 100 metres. Boggles the mind.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A post containing an inflammatory comment directed at another member has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Is there anyone out there that knows the time in which they have to issue the ticket so it is recieved by you in a reasonable time? In the UK for intance it has to be recieved within 14 days of the alledged offence.
I recieved one from a trip to Chiang Mai last month and paid it promptly. Then today I recieced another for the same day but a different time. This, a full month after the offence. There must be a time limit on the issuance of the ticket.
I do not know if Thailand is the same as other western countries but an arguement could be made yhat there is no injured party being presented, so a fine is not payable. Especially to a revenue collection company. Anyone who knows if it is incumbant upon the authority to issue the demand in a spdcific time and where this may be referenced.
It seems to me that you could potentally be finded hundreds or even thousands of times on a long journey if they installed cameras every 100 metres. Boggles the mind.

Perhaps you should consider slowing down.

Last time I went to Chiang Mai I got a couple. The new car has speed control so they won’t get me again.

They had plenty of signs...

Perhaps you should consider slowing down.

Last time I went to Chiang Mai I got a couple. The new car has speed control so they won’t get me again.

They had plenty of signs...
115 KPH is approx 70 MPH which is a normal speed in the UK and hard to retrain an old dog.