Save me from the world's greatest techno hub

Going overseas for a while, so I'm trying to set up online payment of household bills and credit card - which shouldn't be a problem in the technology hub of the universe, including Uranus Minor.

So I contacted my bank, which I'll call X (can't risk a lawsuit, so I'll just give hints) and downloaded their online banking app. It's confusing, so I went into the main office in Pattaya where an overworked staffer fixed it up for me. Except she didn't. Tried to phone the head office in BANGKOK for info, but their telephone system is impenetrable (what is wrong with these people?). So back to the Pattaya office a few days later only to find out the app doesn't allow for me to pay my electricity bill nor my credit card, which is from a major international bank. Duh! 

So, off to the PEA in north Pattaya only to be told that this government organisation doesn't allow for bills to be paid online in any way shape or form, not even Paypal. Alai wah?

Tried to phone my credit card company which only has an office in the CITY of Bangkok, but like the bank, their telephone system is ridiculously impenetrable. Once again, what the heck is wrong with these people? I'm now faced with a 300km round trip to Bangkok to get the answer to one simple question: How, do I make online payments to my credit card?

There is a glimmer of hope for the hub: water bills can be paid online (tho I haven't tried it yet). Wow!

Has anyone else had to deal with this issue? Don't suggest neighbors, please - they can't be expected to pay my credit card bill. And anyway, I'd rather keep everything under my control for obvious reasons.

Peace and love to the trolls out there.

Dex.

I have no idea about Thai credit cards as I dont have or want one.

But I have been paying my PEA bill for years by direct debit from my Thai bank account without the slightest hitch. In fact apart from looking at how much it is I never even have to think about it, regardless of where I am in the world. And it's a free service.

Just now, KittenKong said:

But I have been paying my PEA bill for years by direct debit from my Thai bank account without the slightest hitch. In fact apart from looking at how much it is I never even have to think about it, regardless of where I am in the world. And it's a free service.

Yep, our electric paid by DD also.

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Cheers KK -- if it's through that BANGKOK bank which I'm not allowed to mention, then why the flock did the staff not tell me that the bill could be paid this way. Jesus, Mary and Somchai. I'll check that out -- thanks for the tip

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You may be able to pay your credit card bill by using your ATM/Debit card from Bangkok Bank. Check with the card company to find out.

Thanks Joe -- but as I said, it's impossible to get through the credit card company's phone system, so it requires a round trip to Bangkok to find out about this. The bank staffer also made no effort to suggest any alternatives -- and these things are why I'm p-offed -- so much trouble for just one simple answer). 

3 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Thanks Joe -- but as I said, it's impossible to get through the credit card company's phone system, so it requires a round trip to Bangkok to find out about this. The bank staffer also made no effort to suggest any alternatives -- and these things are why I'm p-offed -- so much trouble for just one simple answer). 

This is Thailand nothing out of the way here. Always expect the unexpected. Emails may never be answered. Mobile calls are baht burners.  Yes we speak English but do not understand it. Its a tourist country not a common sense one. If you have a degree your hired. Salary to be discussed. Benefits a lunch break at the room with the sliding curtain behind the car or truck. 

Edited by elgordo38

6 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Direct debit for utilities, True, TOT and credit card for years, no problem. Like my father said if you like to see a problem there will be one around each corner. 

I don't think you have a clue what the topic is about. 

As far as I'm aware you can't pay for utilities by online banking but you can pay by direct debit. Your credit card shouldn't be a problem, just setup a new payee and send them the money every month.

Good luck !!

OP,

Are you  really saying you tried to get "ibanking" setup with your bank but can't get it setup?   Or are you saying you already have ibanking and can't figure out how to pay some billers?  

I use Bangkok Bank ibanking and pay all of my reoccurring utiliity type bills using that ibanking.  Electricity (MEA), landline (TOT), cell phone service (DTAC), cable TV (TrueVisions), and internet (AIS Fibre).  Can't pay my water bill using ibanking simply because the water company is apparently to cheap to set up ibanking payment with any banks....I pay my water bill at 7-11.

56 minutes ago, Pib said:

OP,

Are you  really saying you tried to get "ibanking" setup with your bank but can't get it setup?   Or are you saying you already have ibanking and can't figure out how to pay some billers?  

I use Bangkok Bank ibanking and pay all of my reoccurring utiliity type bills using that ibanking.  Electricity (MEA), landline (TOT), cell phone service (DTAC), cable TV (TrueVisions), and internet (AIS Fibre).  Can't pay my water bill using ibanking simply because the water company is apparently to cheap to set up ibanking payment with any banks....I pay my water bill at 7-11.

That's interesting -- my power bill comes from the PEA, and it's not geared for ibanking while the water authority here in Pattaya is. 

But yeah -- I set up internet banking using Bkk Bank's M Banking system about a week ago (I hadn't bothered with it before because there was no real need). I have since found out that it doesn't allow me to pay my Citibank credit card, but Krung Thai Bank's system does. So I'm now switching to that and dumping Bkk Bank.

8 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

That's interesting -- my power bill comes from the PEA, and it's not geared for ibanking while the water authority here in Pattaya is. 

But yeah -- I set up internet banking using Bkk Bank's M Banking system about a week ago (I hadn't bothered with it before because there was no real need). I have since found out that it doesn't allow me to pay my Citibank credit card, but Krung Thai Bank's system does. So I'm now switching to that and dumping Bkk Bank.

Looks like you can use PEA's Epay with payment coming from your Bangkok Bank account plus a few other banks.

https://epay.pea.co.th/epay/

Unfortunately, many companies in Thailand don't setup bill payment capability with most/every Thai bank...instead they pick one or two banks and unless you have ibanking with those selected banks you are SOL.

Looking at the KrungThai list of bill pay payees even they don't list PEA but do list MEA.   Wonder if PEA is listed on any Thai bank's bill pay list or PEA just wants to push their PEA Epay instead?   

Edited by Pib