Baffled

jonwilly

So sat at my desk on the computer.

Sort of buzzing then on top right hand edge of my glasses the item below appears.

It was out of focus and I thought a Wasp had flown in and landed on my glasses.

I shook my glasses off and found this on the floor and still squirming.

Now I am no expert but to me it's a Leech or similar.

I live on floor 8 of the condo so I am Baffled as to how it 'Flew' into my room.My ceiling is intact so I can write that avenue of entry out.

A large wasp has been trying to make a nest in my room, several times I have seen it fly in and out, so any ideas ?

john

thumb_P1060229_1024.jpg

thumb_P1060230_1024.jpg

It would have be carried in by a Wasp, they build mud mounds in which they put caterpillars

inside ,lay some eggs on them, and seal it up,when the wasp larvae hatch they eat the caterpillars,

then turn into wasps and break out .

regards worgeordie

I agree 100 percent with worgeordie. We have lots of these mud 'storage sites' around our house.  

If you break them open your floor will be covered with mud/dirt and lots of caterpillars and other bugs that the wasps collected.

They may seem too big for the wasp to carry but somehow they manage. I'm not sure if this wasp paralyses the caterpillar first but they stay alive for a long time in their own coffin!

30 minutes ago, CMKiwi said:

I agree 100 percent with worgeordie. We have lots of these mud 'storage sites' around our house.  

If you break them open your floor will be covered with mud/dirt and lots of caterpillars and other bugs that the wasps collected.

They may seem too big for the wasp to carry but somehow they manage. I'm not sure if this wasp paralyses the caterpillar first but they stay alive for a long time in their own coffin!

Who can understnd nature? its what makes it so intriguing.

Last week we were having staying, and having dinne,r at a small Mae Rim Resort when clouds of flying termites descended on us attracted by the lights.There were literally millions.They were landing in our food,hair inside our clothes and we had to beat a hasty retreat to our room .Just getting in the door let in 100's and we put out the lights and laid a towel along the crack between the bottom of the door and the floor, they still came. 15 mins later it was all over but the staff spent most of the next morning sweeping up the wings and bodies. We have experinced this before but not in such numbrers as they seek to find a home ,if they dont its a suicide mission.It alawys happens May/June during the start of the wet season

Most Australians would have experienced the large Bogong moth plagues who descend without notice, all part of natures cycle